Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I use the LX: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00H9S71LW/

Was $50 2 years ago, now $90. I don't know what the differences are between my LX and the MX+ (besides $50); the LX works fine with SMT

That's the ~100% price increase I was taking about.

And yes, for Tesla the LX is version is sufficient. The MX+ adds the support of proprietary CAN protocols used by GM and Ford.

Gonna chime in here for some feedback (and perhaps bring this thread a little more on topic):

So, we've been tinkering with a physical repair that corrects the underlying causes of the issues noted in my writeup last year: Explaining Changes post-firmware 2019.16 Regarding Range Loss | wk057's SkieNET

I'm trying to figure out if there's any real interest in it outside of necessary repairs, as in battery no longer functions repairs. We could do these changes preemptively, but it would involve getting the car here to us, a a few $k in labor to drop the pack, disassemble the pack, make the needed changes (involves modifications and the install of some updated hardware), reseal, reinstall, test. The benefit being no more brick6 read emulation (slightly more range and charge speed), and hopefully prevent similar failures from happening again indefinitely.

It's pretty labor intense right now, and I doubt we have the manpower to do more than a couple per week, but might be worthwhile to streamline this more if there's actual interest.

Last edited:
In December of 2019, the price of that reader dropped from $80 to $59. I forgot to buy it at that price and shortly after in 2020, it started to climb to ~$100 and now at
I have these for sale

Attachments

• 20220629_185303[1].jpg
    20220629_185303[1].jpg
    455.1 KB · Views: 131
Maybe. If mine is not one of the affected cars then I would love to know why my ranged suddenly dropped from 256 to no more than 246. I did the battery capacity calculation using the (average power consumption * projected range) / battery %SOC and arrive at 71.308kWh. I recall doing this exercise back in early 2019 and getting something like 77.6.

I'm wondering if I need to get one of those CANBUS readers to see what's actually going on with my Vmax. If only I had some documentation, but it took us all awhile to figure out that something was wrong.
I have heard recently of a new round of battery limits. Tony at EVFIXME can undo it if you have MCU1.

I have heard recently of a new round of battery limits. Tony at EVFIXME can undo it if you have MCU1.

I've already upgraded to MCU2, but I'm always interested to hear more information. I started a poll in the general topic section to see how many pre-facelifted owners have been affected, suspect they are still affected, was never affected, or reasonably restored from the sudden range loss. I'm not convinced that only 1,7XX vehicles were nerfed but I'm searching for more information. I talked it over with my wife, who is much more knowledgeable about the law/lawsuits/class action settlements than me, and she said there may be many other affected vehicles/owners but that the classes was narrowed to meet a particular criteria. This would be strongly be in the interest of the defendant, assuming affected owners who are not included in the settlement class never file their own case.

It also got me thinking perhaps restoring the pre-facelifted S vehicles to original range, Vmax, etc might not be in the best interest of the owner...especially those who are out of warranty. From what wk057 mentioned in post #150 of: Vendor - Tesla Model S Battery Extended Service Plans from 057 Technology, maybe the original battery cell and charging parameters would lead to greater risk of or sooner failure. At this point, I'd rather have a diminished 85 battery pack that could last ~250K miles rather than a original spec'd 85 pack that would more likely fail before 160K miles.

It would be so nice if Tesla would just tell us what's going on, but I suppose they have many reasons to not.

I started a poll in the general topic section to see how many pre-facelifted owners have been affected, suspect they are still affected, was never affected, or reasonably restored from the sudden range loss.

Your poll is missing the category of the owners who either got their packs replaced due to some displayed messages or have received letters from Tesla for possible replacements. I doubt you would get more data than what already been presented in this thread and has been gathered per the Google Sheet which was put together in 2019 and kept being populated (in page 1 of this thread, search for the word "Tracker"). BTW, you are not on that sheet.

I'm not convinced that only 1,7XX vehicles were nerfed but I'm searching for more information.

The numbers posted on the top of page 1 of this thread are the ones Tesla has disclosed to the court as related to the voltage limitation. I doubt you would get more than the Tesla counts. Also, many owners, including the impacted owners, are not even on TMC.

Last edited:
I've already upgraded to MCU2, but I'm always interested to hear more information. I started a poll in the general topic section to see how many pre-facelifted owners have been affected, suspect they are still affected, was never affected, or reasonably restored from the sudden range loss. I'm not convinced that only 1,7XX vehicles were nerfed but I'm searching for more information. I talked it over with my wife, who is much more knowledgeable about the law/lawsuits/class action settlements than me, and she said there may be many other affected vehicles/owners but that the classes was narrowed to meet a particular criteria. This would be strongly be in the interest of the defendant, assuming affected owners who are not included in the settlement class never file their own case.

It also got me thinking perhaps restoring the pre-facelifted S vehicles to original range, Vmax, etc might not be in the best interest of the owner...especially those who are out of warranty. From what wk057 mentioned in post #150 of: Vendor - Tesla Model S Battery Extended Service Plans from 057 Technology, maybe the original battery cell and charging parameters would lead to greater risk of or sooner failure. At this point, I'd rather have a diminished 85 battery pack that could last ~250K miles rather than a original spec'd 85 pack that would more likely fail before 160K miles.

It would be so nice if Tesla would just tell us what's going on, but I suppose they have many reasons to not.

Can you give more info about this?
I don't have any more details available yet. Just a few cars that he has seen were subjected to sudden reduced range (capacity). Those with MCU1 he was able to reverse.

• Helpful
Reactions: Droschke
Your poll is missing the category of the owners who either got their packs replaced due to some displayed messages or have received letters from Tesla for possible replacements. I doubt you would get more data than what already been presented in this thread and has been gathered per the Google Sheet which was put together in 2019 and kept being populated (in page 1 of this thread, search for the word "Tracker"). BTW, you are not on that sheet.

The numbers posted on the top of page 1 of this thread are the ones Tesla has disclosed to the court as related to the voltage limitation. I doubt you would get more than the Tesla counts. Also, many owners, including the impacted owners, are not even on TMC.
Yes, I assumed the group of folks who had their packs replaced or received notices for replacement were already identified and included in the 1,7XX count by Tesla and not necessary for my poll. I was trying to gauge if anyone else was experiencing what I am and suspect they haven't been restored to pre-2019.16.X capacity and haven't been contacted by neither Tesla nor Class Counsel. I've been following this thread from the very beginning (I recall some of this started when some folks were being told Tesla was capping battery capacity and charging because they Supercharged too much) and I felt like my car was not part of the class because it only lost 8%. Maybe I misinterpreted some responses. I'm thinking my next move is to get a CANBUS scanner to measure my battery Vmax and calculate the battery capacity. Currently I'm only going off the displayed estimated range and observation that my car does not have as much acceleration power as it did pre-2019.16.X

Reactions: DJRas
I got BMS_u029 but I could not detect any voltages out of spec.
Just got my second REMAN pack for the year after waiting some 6 weeks. Sticker is now upside down? Lost the lottery for the second time, no 350V-C for me! This one has a bit less capacity (0.5kWh) than the last REMAN, it does charge to 4.2V and has quite a lot of DC charging (15000, last one had 1500kWh). Not to happy about this one, maybe it rebalances module 8 so it has a bit more capacity, I dont know.

But... what I'm really pissed off with is that they left the coolant cap off, I found it in the frunk. *sugar* happens. Buteven worse... my main display now has a super bright yellow line around it and I have a big bubble behind the driver screen. I guess they left it baking in the sun for 6 weeks. What the hell. How am I to prove this was not there before?

Screenshot_20220702-151604 (Small).png
Screenshot_20220702-151622 (Small).png
Screenshot_20220702-151617 (Small).png
Screenshot_20220702-184634 (Small).png

Just got my second REMAN pack for the year after waiting some 6 weeks. Sticker is now upside down? Lost the lottery for the second time, no 350V-C for me! This one has a bit less capacity (0.5kWh) than the last REMAN, it does charge to 4.2V and has quite a lot of DC charging (15000, last one had 1500kWh). Not to happy about this one, maybe it rebalances module 8 so it has a bit more capacity, I dont know.
I wouldn't be too worried about your DC charging there. I have over 50 MWh

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220519-091859_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220519-091859_Gallery.jpg
    413.6 KB · Views: 73
my main display now has a super bright yellow line around it and I have a big bubble behind the driver screen. I guess they left it baking in the sun for 6 weeks. What the hell. How am I to prove this was not there before?
It doesn't really matter if it was there before or not, you are either under warranty and they will fix it or you aren't and they will suggest the MCU2 upgrade to fix both issues.

Reactions: Lewis88
Got the car back today and confirmed the pack was replaced with 1014116-00-C. Rated range at 100% is now 270miles. The rear upper suspension links on both sides were also replaced, along with a coolant refill and bleed. The work only took a couple of days.
Have you been able to Supercharge yet? Much faster than before all the nerfs?

• Helpful
Reactions: DJRas and Droschke