Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When the weather is warm enough or hot, even, I generally still manage to pull SOC+kW = 110ish. Yes, it ramps up to 125-128 for a brief moment at 12% or so, but quickly declines to ~100. By 16-17% the rate is 95ish.

When the weather is cooler and the preconditioning has been occurring, I don't see anywhere near those numbers. The battery warms with preconditioning, but does not stay at the target temperature for long because it shuts off when nearing the Supercharger stalls. In this case, I usually start out at SOC+kW to be around 105, then dropping to ~100 (or lower if temps are in the 50s) or so before slowly increasing back to 110 once the battery starts warming from Supercharging.

I have to agree that the 70kW current is more than likely from the Urban chargers.

thats a negative on the urban chargers, they still go max 72kw, i keep forgetting the 150kw chargers are v1 chargers and the urban ones are v2.
it was definitely one of the 150kw chargers the past few that ive plugged into was hard capped at 70kw, the last time i did it my car was capped to 70kw i switched to a 250kw charger stall next to me to hog a spot to get around the 70kw cap

thats a negative on the urban chargers, they still go max 72kw, i keep forgetting the 150kw chargers are v1 chargers and the urban ones are v2.
it was definitely one of the 150kw chargers the past few that ive plugged into was hard capped at 70kw, the last time i did it my car was capped to 70kw i switched to a 250kw charger stall next to me to hog a spot to get around the 70kw cap
V1 are the original 90-100kW chargers. They were quickly replaced with V2.

Or some might call the very very original superchargers V1, but I call them more 0.5.

Reactions: gaswalla
Well usually my charging speeds don't approach anything near that when it's in the steady state. Last time I supercharged probably several months ago it would still ramp up to about 118 maybe 119 KW but only for about 15 or 20 seconds before it quickly tapered back into the 70ish range and then would settle in to do the bulk of the charging in around 50 to 60
I'm actually seeing this exact behavior my 75D MX late 2016 build. If battery is nice and hot, it will go as high as 137 on a V2 or V3, for about 30 seconds to 1 minute. It will then drop like a rock to around 60-75kW and stay there until about 70%SOC then drop like a rock again to around 15-20kW.

Reactions: tccartier
Mine starts hi at low SOC at both 150kW and 250kW. It drops after a couple of minutes to high 80s.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221020_210726.jpg
    Screenshot_20221020_210726.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 121
  • Informative
Reactions: Droschke
The urban chargers had their place back when the V2 chargers used to give priority to the first car charging in the A/B pair. Now that V2 splits the power between the two cars charging, v2 and urban are more similar than ever except that max charge for an unpaired stall is double on the V2 versus the urban charger

• Informative
Reactions: Droschke
The urban chargers had their place back when the V2 chargers used to give priority to the first car charging in the A/B pair. Now that V2 splits the power between the two cars charging, v2 and urban are more similar than ever except that max charge for an unpaired stall is double on the V2 versus the urban charger

And I might add for those of us still pushing old iron LOL. Even an urban supercharger is more power than my car can handle/ sustain during a supercharger session. I would love to see a sustained 70ish KW going to the car but she won't do that anymore.

Reactions: gaswalla
They are no longer building Urbans, however, they also had another purpose. They supported Single Phase power, so they could be installed in locations where 3 phase was not readily available.

• Informative
Reactions: Fiver
Well usually my charging speeds don't approach anything near that when it's in the steady state. Last time I supercharged probably several months ago it would still ramp up to about 118 maybe 119 KW but only for about 15 or 20 seconds before it quickly tapered back into the 70ish range and then would settle in to do the bulk of the charging in around 50 to 60
Same with my 70D

Reactions: tccartier
Has anyone seen improvements in SC speeds with 2022.40.1 in pre 2016 teslas?
Still running 2022.36.2 on my 2012 Sig. (MCU2) the bulk of the charging on my car will take place anywhere between 25 to 50 KW at anything north of about 30% state of charge. It's pretty abysmal now it's not a road car anymore it's pretty much only useful if you've got a lot of time or if you're not going outside the cars single charge range from your home charging solution.

Supercharging stops along the road now are generally approaching an hour to get enough to get to the next supercharger plus or minus depending on distance of course.

Last time I charged to 100%. It netted about 232 mi indicated which is less than what used to be shown at 90% SOC not that long ago. It seems to have disappeared about the time the older cars got the V-Max clipped at the individual cell level and the supercharging speeds took a haircut.

Still running 2022.36.2 on my 2012 Sig. (MCU2) the bulk of the charging on my car will take place anywhere between 25 to 50 KW at anything north of about 30% state of charge. It's pretty abysmal now it's not a road car anymore it's pretty much only useful if you've got a lot of time or if you're not going outside the cars single charge range from your home charging solution.

Supercharging stops along the road now are generally approaching an hour to get enough to get to the next supercharger plus or minus depending on distance of course.

Last time I charged to 100%. It netted about 232 mi indicated which is less than what used to be shown at 90% SOC not that long ago. It seems to have disappeared about the time the older cars got the V-Max clipped at the individual cell level and the supercharging speeds took a haircut.
I have an MCU2 installed but I have the original MCU1 with IC that is locked to pre gimp may 2019. I'm considering putting it back in the car since my MCU2 isn't able to me modded. Such a headache. I just hope that the things will work if I redeploy with the old MCU1....

im on 2022.36.2, 2015 model s 85d and just did a charge last night from 10% to 90% and it took around 1 hour and 15 minutes, recorded the whole thing.
have a appointment with the service center on november 7th in hopes to get it replaced with the 1014116-00-c and ive been noticing a few people asking if its worth it to move to that battery or not as well as myself, nobody seems to pay too close attention once they change it other than "speeds seem back to normal" so hopefully the install goes well and i will be recording a 10% to 90% again and posting a side by side comparison with supercharging the 2 different batteries. hopefully it goes good... we will see.

im on 2022.36.2, 2015 model s 85d and just did a charge last night from 10% to 90% and it took around 1 hour and 15 minutes, recorded the whole thing.
have a appointment with the service center on november 7th in hopes to get it replaced with the 1014116-00-c and ive been noticing a few people asking if its worth it to move to that battery or not as well as myself, nobody seems to pay too close attention once they change it other than "speeds seem back to normal" so hopefully the install goes well and i will be recording a 10% to 90% again and posting a side by side comparison with supercharging the 2 different batteries. hopefully it goes good... we will see.

Yep that sounds about right I've been over an hour on occasion if I'm charging from 10 to 90 easily over an hour. Pretty much the same performance you see. Supercharging is not so super anymore.

There will always be those that say I should just trade it in and get another car or I shouldn't have high expectations for a car that's old etc. And it wouldn't bother me so much if the goal post had not moved artificially. My car performed much better both in charging speed and range before it got kneecapped. That's the part that bugs me.