Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sudden loss of regen and power limit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Today my car suddenly disabled regenerative braking completely and reduced power to around 150kW for seemingly no reason.
Outside temperature was 24C or 75F. After about 10-15min, regenerative braking was suddenly available again 100% and power was unlimited.

I’ve noticed before that the car would seemingly randomly start to limit regenerative braking. Even in warm weather ( 70’s F or 20’s C)…

Anyone ever experienced something similar?

It happened again just now as I was pulling into my garage...
Nobody ever had this happen?

I'm still on 2018.28.5

Emailed Tesla twice now, no answer yet...

Attachments

• IMG_0432.jpg
    IMG_0432.jpg
    262.6 KB · Views: 153
For me that has happened only when a) the battery is full or almost full, and b) when the battery is cold. It can also happen when the battery is hot. Check that the doors covering the radiators are opening properly and that the A/C is working correctly.

• Helpful
Reactions: SeminoleFSU
For me that has happened only when a) the battery is full or almost full, and b) when the battery is cold. It can also happen when the battery is hot. Check that the doors covering the radiators are opening properly and that the A/C is working correctly.

The battery was at 68% when it happened yesterday. Ambient temp was 23C (~74F), so I don't think the battery was cold. The A/C works and the louvers on the radiators open and close normally when charging...
That's what makes this so weird, everything seems normal except that behaviour.

The battery was at 68% when it happened yesterday. Ambient temp was 23C (~74F), so I don't think the battery was cold. The A/C works and the louvers on the radiators open and close normally when charging...
That's what makes this so weird, everything seems normal except that behaviour.
That is weird. I'd suggest every time it happens, register it as a note. To do this press the talk button and say "Note". Then say a short message (helps if you've rehearsed it a couple of times). A successful note will have a "thank you for your feedback" message. This allows Tesla to narrow down the log times.

My assumption here is that you've rebooted both screens and it still occurs.

• Helpful
Reactions: SeminoleFSU
Yes, I've even tried a hard reset.
I do write down the exact time every time it happens, which should help them find it in the logs. I've read before that the voice report thing isn't really looked at by anyone, but I could do that too.

Still haven't heard back from Tesla, btw.

Yes, I've even tried a hard reset.
I do write down the exact time every time it happens, which should help them find it in the logs. I've read before that the voice report thing isn't really looked at by anyone, but I could do that too.

Still haven't heard back from Tesla, btw.
I don't know how often it's looked at either, but if you tell them you left a note, they should be able to find the note easily. The advantage would be that it would be in whatever time zone the logs are kept in, so it could save them some time.

That is weird. I'd suggest every time it happens, register it as a note. To do this press the talk button and say "Note". Then say a short message (helps if you've rehearsed it a couple of times). A successful note will have a "thank you for your feedback" message. This allows Tesla to narrow down the log times.

My assumption here is that you've rebooted both screens and it still occurs.
Wow - that's cool didn't know you could do that. Thanks Jerry!

MadTorque, Not sure how old your car is but how hard have you been driving it before this happens. If you do a search there is a few different post talking about DU getting hot and having limiting issues, maybe your DU is starting to go.

MadTorque, Not sure how old your car is but how hard have you been driving it before this happens. If you do a search there is a few different post talking about DU getting hot and having limiting issues, maybe your DU is starting to go.

The car was built in Oct. 2017 and only has around 9000 miles (15k km) on it.
And as you can see on the energy graph in the picture I posted, I haven't driven the car hard at all... It's a mystery.. I'm hoping for a software glitch. The service center is 4 hours and a ferry ride away...

I would say the next time this happens call the Tesla Service number and ask them about your Battery Temps and ask them why the battery is being limited. If you were running ™ Spy you could look them up while this was happening.

I would say the next time this happens call the Tesla Service number and ask them about your Battery Temps and ask them why the battery is being limited. If you were running ™ Spy you could look them up while this was happening.

Yeah, that information should ideally be accessible to the owner in the car's menu somewhere. I mean, most ICE cars have temp. gauges...

call tesla service. emailing rarely ever gets a prompt reply.

Hahaha, I tried calling. I don't have time to wait on the phone for 30 min. for someone to answer my call.
Anyway got a reply today, they referred it to the "Diagnostics team to review the information". They'll get back to me when they know more.
I'll update this thread with what they come back with.

I think this "bug" may have been introduced in 2018.32.x firmware. I'm only on 2018.28.x on my S but I had this error on my 3 which is on 2018.32.x. And the screen specifically said reduced power and regen. Screen also advised to exit the car and reenter. This fixed the issue for me after I got on the phone with Tesla.

I think this "bug" may have been introduced in 2018.32.x firmware. I'm only on 2018.28.x on my S but I had this error on my 3 which is on 2018.32.x. And the screen specifically said reduced power and regen. Screen also advised to exit the car and reenter. This fixed the issue for me after I got on the phone with Tesla.

I'm still on 2018.28.5

Final Update:

Got my car back yesterday. New HV battery was installed and everything is normal again!
I've gotta say, I'm impressed... 1 week turn around for a brand new battery install (incl. ordering the replacement battery) is seriously impressive...
Don't know if I just got lucky or if this is the new normal, but I'm blown away! Thanks to some of the stories I've read on this forum, I was already dreading to not see my car again for a couple of months at least...