TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Sudden onset of squeaking in front

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by RDoc, Apr 7, 2016.

1. RDoc

RDoc S85D

Yesterday morning, our car was it's normal quiet self, however, that night when we went out there was a very audible squeaking coming from the front of the car whenever it rocked on the suspension.Over the course of the evening it got noticeably worst, although it seems to have stabilized now. We hadn't hit any potholes or anything untoward earlier, yet it started very suddenly. The service center doesn't seem very concerned, so I'm taking it in on the 22nd.

Has anyone run into this?

2. RDoc

RDoc S85D

It stopped! When I took the car out today, there was no squeak at all. My guess is that some ice formed on a suspension part and it thawed overnight as the weather warmed today.

3. RDoc

RDoc S85D

Update - It's back. I got concerned and took it to a friend of mine with a garage and his mechanic looked at it since it's 2 weeks till my service appointment. His guess, without taking anything apart, is that one of the lower front suspension ball joints has failed, but it's not dangerous. It is, however, very annoying.

4. Electric700

Electric700 Member

Until Tesla can fix the issue, try increasing the air suspension height setting, and also disable the high speed lowering feature to see if there's a difference.

5. RDoc

RDoc S85D

I played with that to no effect.

The squeaking/creaking comes and goes, this morning it was gone for most of my trip, then came back.

6. mrElbe

mrElbe Member

I had the same noise and when my car went in to the Service Center for the LTE upgrade last fall, they noticed it without me mentioning it and they replaced a ball joint. Problem solved!

7. TaoJones

TaoJones Beyond Driven

I started hearing a (relatively) intermittent squeak, generally at low speed in uneven parking lots, or when turning into somewhere at slightly different elevation, and had attributed the new noise to a recent headliner replacement. It seems to emanate from the center right front area. It had not occurred to me (with at the time less than 35,000 miles) that it could be a ball joint or anything else related to the suspension quite yet. Have experienced premature rotor wear as well (right front) but didn't think it was related. Hmmm.

Thanks for posting that - will have them take a look during the next service visit.