Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sudden onset of squeaking in front

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

RDoc

2021 Prerefresh Model S
Aug 24, 2012
Boston North Shore
Yesterday morning, our car was it's normal quiet self, however, that night when we went out there was a very audible squeaking coming from the front of the car whenever it rocked on the suspension.Over the course of the evening it got noticeably worst, although it seems to have stabilized now. We hadn't hit any potholes or anything untoward earlier, yet it started very suddenly. The service center doesn't seem very concerned, so I'm taking it in on the 22nd.

Has anyone run into this?

Update - It's back. I got concerned and took it to a friend of mine with a garage and his mechanic looked at it since it's 2 weeks till my service appointment. His guess, without taking anything apart, is that one of the lower front suspension ball joints has failed, but it's not dangerous. It is, however, very annoying.

I started hearing a (relatively) intermittent squeak, generally at low speed in uneven parking lots, or when turning into somewhere at slightly different elevation, and had attributed the new noise to a recent headliner replacement. It seems to emanate from the center right front area. It had not occurred to me (with at the time less than 35,000 miles) that it could be a ball joint or anything else related to the suspension quite yet. Have experienced premature rotor wear as well (right front) but didn't think it was related. Hmmm.

Thanks for posting that - will have them take a look during the next service visit.

I started hearing a (relatively) intermittent squeak, generally at low speed in uneven parking lots, or when turning into somewhere at slightly different elevation, and had attributed the new noise to a recent headliner replacement. It seems to emanate from the center right front area. It had not occurred to me (with at the time less than 35,000 miles) that it could be a ball joint or anything else related to the suspension quite yet. Have experienced premature rotor wear as well (right front) but didn't think it was related. Hmmm.

Thanks for posting that - will have them take a look during the next service visit.

I have the exact same issue, my car is also wet

• Informative
Reactions: TaoJones
Concern: Customer: There is a loud sound coming from the front of the vehicle.

Corrections: Exterior NVH General Diagnosis

Duplicated on test drive with customer. Torqued suspension down to spec. Post test drive could not duplicate noise. Vehicle behaving normally.

when i get my car from service, squeaking is gone, today its back.

So I have had this issue, it comes and goes. Ok I drive. A lot all over the Western US. Recent this past Fall I took a trip to the coast from Minnesota, the car developed a squeak some where West of South Dakota then I notice it was gone when we hit the coast, when down to Santa Monica and headed towards Denver, some where in Utah it comes back. I get back home and service center can't recreate it....and it had bad ridiculous and embarrassing. Recent I went to Denver and the mountain outside of Denver, again on the way West South Dakota it starts squeaking again when we where in the mountain it was again just stupid loud and ridiculous. Now I'm back in Minnesota and I hear nothing. Have to go pick my sister's kid up in Denver on Thursday, it will be interesting to see if I get the squeak again when hitting South Dakota again.... I have a hypothesis but want to see what others think.

Does Tesla use any polyurethane in their sway bar or control arm bushings? Poly is notorious for squeaking.

Could try spraying all the bushings with silicone lubricant in an attempt to neutralize it. The noise may likely come back after the silicone wears/washes off, but it may be a method of troubleshooting.

My right front hub is causing mine. Bearings shot after 150k. Will change it next week when it gets here from LA.
Oh. Only hearing it when turning wheel in parking lot. EBay list $120. NAPA buddy checked part number, standard hub, his price $250.

Tesla Orlando charged me two years ago US$239. for the left front hub and US$ 9 for 4 new bolts and washers and US$ 60 for labor.
Cheaper than the NAPA quote. That Ebay listing might be the ticket.

That was a miracle, everytime I go in they remind me its $180 an hour. He wanted to charge me to look at the TPMS Reset that's gone from my car.
Hub arrived last night, will change today. Might change front pads if I can some that match? Everyone says they are Z06 pads?

I changed it yesterday , hardest part was finding 18mm sockets, T45 star to remove rotor. No more bearing growl.
Need 3/8 18mm socket with big vise grips to get front lower bolt out. 1/2inch breaker bar for rest.
Got off Ebay for $119. Here is part number. It's a universal hub for all 4 wheels now. Couldn't get dust cover off old hub so I stuffed rag in splines to keep dirt out. Took about a hour.

Attachments

• IMG_20191224_065002983.jpg
    IMG_20191224_065002983.jpg
    261 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_20191224_140144730.jpg
    IMG_20191224_140144730.jpg
    260.1 KB · Views: 62
I had squeaking in the front and the crazy thing was as I gained altitude. It starteda 2500ft and was ridiculously head turning at 10,000 feet I recreated this multiple times...

So apparently Discount Tire mounted the front tires on the rear rims (9.0" front rims and rear 9.5"). Service center remounted tires, I haven't heard anything yet but I'm no where near any kind of altitude... Should be interesting to see if it worked.

My right front hub is cauing mine. Bearings shot after 150k. Will change it next week when it gets here from LA.
Oh. Only hearing it when turning wheel in parking lot. EBay list $120. NAPA buddy checked part number, standard hub, his price $250.

I had a similar issue fixed today. When backing up and cranking the wheel it would make a grinding sound like the tires where hitting the wheel well. The brakes needed to be lubricated today... That fixed that issue. Weird