Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sudden paranoia.... CCS charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Avendit

Apr 18, 2019
EDI
Can anyone confirm that -every- supercharger has at least a couple of CSS chargers? Suddenly paranoid that some haven't been updated and I can't find any evidence either way! This is being brought on by a better rout planner's tesla CSS setting, but is this just destination chargers?

All have been updated but some only have 2 stalls and when 2 are charging then one gets 30kw and other 90kw.

Also it seems model s owners aren’t informed enough and will use the cvs charger when all non ccs ones are free, meaning if there is another model 3 charging you have to wait, which has happened.

That's fine and expected. Just for 10 minutes or so there abetterroutpanner was showing everything north of leeds as supercharger only with no CSS options. Which would hamper my return from Manchester to Edinburgh on Friday after picking my 3 up! They are all showing as "Tesla Supercharger (CCS)" now.

Thanks for the re-assurance.

Also it seems model s owners aren’t informed enough and will use the cvs charger when all non ccs ones are free, meaning if there is another model 3 charging you have to wait, which has happened.

Just because you find a MS/X in CCS enabled stalls, with others empty, it doesn't mean that those weren't the only open stalls when they began charging...

Reactions: GoTLSAGo
Those around London are close to 100% converted. I think the car knows if it has chargers. On the map I can see how many stalls it has and how many are free.

I went in the car and took some pics. I guess you are based in Scotland? In the car it shows up x of x stalls available, my guess if if a supercharger location does not state that then it hasn't been converted for Model 3. Appears of the 4 around Edinburgh have not :( But could be wrong....

IMG_20190924_204201.jpg
IMG_20190924_204219.jpg
IMG_20190924_204235.jpg
IMG_20190924_204229.jpg
MVIMG_20190924_204253.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: Avendit
thanks for the screen shots. Weirdly, Perth is band new and I would have through fully CSS - have definitely seen some the 'new M3, do tour of scotland' photos with 3's charging at Perth.

I'll make sure and get a fully battery at Gretna tho, just in case. Abetterrouteplanner has that listed as ionity at 350KW! Who knows what is going on.

Here is the document that shows converted stalls if that helps
Tracker CCS on Superchargers

Those around London are close to 100% converted. I think the car knows if it has chargers. On the map I can see how many stalls it has and how many are free.

I went in the car and took some pics. I guess you are based in Scotland? In the car it shows up x of x stalls available, my guess if if a supercharger location does not state that then it hasn't been converted for Model 3. Appears of the 4 around Edinburgh have not :( But could be wrong....

View attachment 458588 View attachment 458589 View attachment 458592 View attachment 458591 View attachment 458593

All Abington, Edinburgh, Dundee and Perth are marked as 100% converted

Last edited:
Just because you find a MS/X in CCS enabled stalls, with others empty, it doesn't mean that those weren't the only open stalls when they began charging...

True but unlikely as the 6 non CCS were free probably just don't know that the Model 3 can only use the CCS and unaware of the influx of the model 3's using these 2 stall locations.

That's fine and expected. Just for 10 minutes or so there abetterroutpanner was showing everything north of leeds as supercharger only with no CSS options. Which would hamper my return from Manchester to Edinburgh on Friday after picking my 3 up! They are all showing as "Tesla Supercharger (CCS)" now.

Thanks for the re-assurance.

No worries on that journey as Tebay services is fine and all the Scottish ones are updated (Gretna, Abington, Edinburgh, Dundee, Perth, Aviemore).

I've been to all of the superchargers between Edinburgh and Manchester now, apart from Edinburgh airport itself (which seems to have only 2 bays in total), i.e. Charnock Richard, Tebay, Gretna Green and Abington, and can confirm they all have Model 3 compatible CCS. I did however learn about the Model 3 compatibility issue at Charnock Richard - of 12 stalls, only 2 were CCS, and 1 was taken (by a Model 3) and 1 the plug was stuck, so I had to wait 20 mins until the Model 3 owner finished - my first supercharger queuing experience.

True but unlikely as the 6 non CCS were free probably just don't know that the Model 3 can only use the CCS and unaware of the influx of the model 3's using these 2 stall locations.
Also worth asking if they can move to a free stall. I’ve accidentally taken a CCS stall when a M3 turned up. I promptly moved and wasted all of what was 30-40s unplugging, moving and plugging in again. You have to love the Tesla SuC set-up :cool:

View attachment 458588 View attachment 458589 View attachment 458592 View attachment 458591 View attachment 458593

the Edinburgh superchargers are faint on the map because they’re out of range for you currently. In that state (out of range) the map won’t tell you stall availability status

• Informative
Can anyone confirm that -every- supercharger has at least a couple of CSS chargers?

Yes ... and where not (previously in UK and perhaps the odd place in EU) the Model-3 SatNav won't take you there.

abetterroutpanner was showing everything north of leeds as supercharger only with no CSS options

In case it helps I did a "picture" showing which ones are fully converted, and which are 2 -stalls only or part-converted

UK Supercharger Site News

I can't get on with Zap map at all, all that click click click to drill down and inability to see info at a glance ... for me I much prefer Plugshare ... but people use either, so I use both if when I need a picture of what works / might be broken

But I've never bothered for Superchargers, they just work - very rare to find one that doesn't, and then just move to another stall, so I only use those for 3rd party charging.

There is crowd-sourced data for which Supercharger sites are CCS-enabled etc., so would be good to get that updated if anyone discovers Tesla have updated another site.

I've seen several reports of 'stuck' CCS connectors and helped a few first time M3 users get them 'unstuck'. In each case they were trying to pull the connector out instead of push and lift to unhook it.

I'd heard about the push and lift technique, and have had a few that were pretty reluctant to come out, but this was something else - I was using that technique, and trying other techniques, combined with a considerable amount of force, to the point of being afraid I was about to break something. That said, when the other Model 3 owner showed up, he gave the thing a good bashing for a while, to the point of the whole stall shaking and making cracking sounds, and eventually got it out - he said his technique was brute force. Not very high tech I know.