Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sudden Range Drop

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think this is probably related to the heat here in Dallas, but I have seen a huge drop in range that started about a month ago. Is this normal, and will it come back in the fall?

upload_2019-8-13_17-31-38.png

Have you charged to 100%? Honestly, you don't have a loss of range, you have a common issue of all the pieces not able to calculate a number correctly. Believe it or not, you really never know when a battery is full, you can only guess at it.

Stop worrying, your battery isn't degraded and your car is still healthy.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
I think this is probably related to the heat here in Dallas, but I have seen a huge drop in range that started about a month ago. Is this normal, and will it come back in the fall?

View attachment 441478

I have a long range AWD. Mine started dropping around beginning of June. Was at 0% degradation then and has gone down steadily to 6.86% degradation now. Not sure if it's software or warmer weather. But I'm in Canada so it's really not that warm... Got my car in October and was at 21k miles at beginning of June and 28k now.

Edit: I did two charges from low to 100% and that hadn't help at all. It did help back in November when I had a small drop.

Hmm. Seems rather severe. If it continues you’ll probably get a warning at some point.

Hopefully just software. My small range reduction (5 miles) correlated with the last software update for me. But your issue is severe. For me, there is obviously a slow 1-mile downward trend but the sudden step downwards is probably just software. But my step was 5 miles overnight, and yours appears to be more like 20+ miles over 3k miles.

My guess is that you actually have a problem and the car will warn you soon. You can try to charge to 100% one time to see what happens, but would not hold my breath.

7B242C07-A64B-40A4-9FDE-6BB381622816.png

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: KenC
Hmm. Seems rather severe. If it continues you’ll probably get a warning at some point.

Hopefully just software. My small range reduction (5 miles) correlated with the last software update for me. But your issue is severe. For me, there is obviously a slow 1-mile downward trend but the sudden step downwards is probably just software. But my step was 5 miles overnight, and yours appears to be more like 20+ miles over 3k miles.

My guess is that you actually have a problem and the car will warn you soon. You can try to charge to 100% one time to see what happens, but would not hold my breath.

View attachment 441618
What app is this

I also got my MR in 2019 March and also experienced initial range drop in early July. Since then, the range dropped 2 more times. Now stays at 408km@100% estimated since last OTA update. I think is staying at 408 for 2+ weeks already. Although my timeline is very similar to yours but your drop seems more steep than mine.

I've read a lot of your posts here on TMC, and think of you as being a very knowledgeable guy. In your opinion, is it worth forking over 20 bucks for the Stats app? I know you can't say that every single person is gonna find it to be worthwhile, but in *your* opinion do you think it is?

I love graphs and statistics about my car, and have been trying to decide what aftermarket solutions (like TeslaFi, the Stats app, etc.) are worth signing up/paying for.

So far, I'm trying to decide between TeslaFi and Stats. Starting to lean toward Stats.

Thanks for any advice!

In your opinion, is it worth forking over 20 bucks for the Stats app? I know you can't say that every single person is gonna find it to be worthwhile, but in *your* opinion do you think it is?

For me, Stats at $20 just doesn't seem like a lot (it was $10 when I bought it though). And then I'm done with the purchase. So I would say it is worth it for me.

I don't believe in subscription model stuff, so TeslaFi was not an option. TeslaFi looks to me like it has a lot more features for someone who is really into tracking everything - that's not me. I just like to understand kind of overall how things work and the basic statistics; I don't need to know exactly what happened on every drive.

I barely use Stats, but occasionally it's nice to see the data and I'll bring it up. It has Apple Watch integration, which I occasionally use. It will tell me when I've left the climate on, left a door open, etc. It's definitely got some additional features which are nice. Well worth $10, or $20.

Stats tries not to impact vampire drain, but with the recent reductions, it MAY be a factor. I haven't had a chance to run experiments to see. However, it's easy enough to log out of the app and then log in when I'm interested (I just lose the continuous tracking data - but again, I don't care that much). I know when I was logged out I got just 5 miles of drain in 3.5 days, which is pretty good. When logged in, it still seems that I might see 3 miles per day of drain (but again, haven't REALLY checked this - it may be just fine, but I don't have opportunities to properly test it & compare).

@GregRF, I haven't checked my Model 3 to see if there has been any loss, but my nephew texted me today very concerned about his because his Model 3 in April and it has dropped about ten miles. His would look like your chart, as far as beginning and ending points. I have had my car a little over a year, and I know that in March, on a trip I charged it 100% and it was at 310 miles.

Last edited: