Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sudden Slowdown With New Software Update 2019.8.2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since the new software update with sentry mode and traffic lights, I have now had 6 instances where the autopilot went from 70 to 20 miles/hour suddenly with no warning despite not having any cars in the front on the freeway.

Luckily, each time I did not have anyone behind me. This is dangerous! Am wondering if this has happened to anyone else?

This is not just on autopilot alone, but I also had it happen when I had adaptive cruise on!!

Please post if anyone has this issue once you updated to 2019.8.2.

• Helpful
Reactions: OPRCE and 1375mlm
...70 to 20 miles/hour suddenly with no warning...

I've experienced phantom brake since I bought my autopilot feature in 2017 or more than 2 years.

I just have to adapt to it and press the accelerator pedal as needed.

It's an inherent limitation that all companies want to solve but none have been successful at it.

Unless Tesla switches to TeslaVision or LIDAR, expect this problem will continue for quite a foreseeable future.

Phantom braking has actually improved for me going from 2019.5.15 to 2019.8.3.

However, I assume you know that you can press the accelerator when you catch it phantom braking? Autopilot will remain engaged. If it continues to try and brake afterward, just disengage. I'm not sure why you'd let it brake all the way to 20MPH on a highway.

Reactions: jboy210 and OPRCE
My Jeep has never done anything like what my Model 3 does. It has collision avoidance ACC etc.

This issue started with V9/NoA.

Luckily my Model 3 has not been as severe as 70 to 20 mph, more like 65 to 35. I’m typically not watching the dash when it happens. I’m still in WTF mode, when it does happen.

Lots of folks, have been complain about this for while.

...NoA...

Phantom brake is an unintentional brake that even programmers do not want it.

However, in NoA, if a driver refuses to exit when the system wants to, it purposefully slows the car down.

It is repeatable and its behavior is consistent every time.

Exit-refusal deceleration could be intentionally and done by design but it needs to be fine-tuned.

I don't know how long will Tesla be able to fix this but in the meantime, drivers should be able in control of a drive at all times even when the system goes rogue.

If a driver lets a car slow down to 20 MPH on a freeway, it's time to consider to quit using Autopilot.

Reactions: NHK X
I have never had a phantom braking where I couldn't take control immediately and limit the result. And in every instance it was almost predictable. It is hard for me to envision the phantom braking taking me down to 20 from 70 without me being able to respond.

Reactions: 1375mlm
This past weekend during a 1.5 hr drive I had at least 4 phantom braking episodes on Cruise while on an Interstate. Only one of the instances involved a car actually coming into my lane (barely). It also happens several times a week on my way to and from work. Really sucks that you have to hover over the accelerator to combat the issue. Drivers around here are horrible, and there are quite a few times they will suddenly look like they are coming into your lane or they will actually get in your lane a little. I would love an option to turn off TACC and have a dumb cruise control if wanted...

This got worse when Tesla implemented the automatic speed adjustment for interchange and exit ramps, automatically slowing down when the software believes the speed limit has lowered on the road - and sometimes it caused by the software incorrectly believing there is an obstruction in front (often with a dark patch of pavement or large shadow on the road bed ahead).

It's bad enough, I wish there was a setting to disable the automatic speed adjustment...

Hopefully Tesla is capturing the data when the software is slowing down speed and the driver is overriding that decision - and using that to fix these issues.

Since the new software update with sentry mode and traffic lights, I have now had 6 instances where the autopilot went from 70 to 20 miles/hour suddenly with no warning despite not having any cars in the front on the freeway.

Luckily, each time I did not have anyone behind me. This is dangerous! Am wondering if this has happened to anyone else?

This is not just on autopilot alone, but I also had it happen when I had adaptive cruise on!!

Since this is a well known issue, I'd have to chastise a little by not being alert and allowing the car to drop to 20 mph. When it happens to me, my foot makes it way back to the accelerator (if it wasn't there already) and catches the drop, often before a 10 mph drop, but always before a 20 mph drop. Letting it drop 50 mph just seems to indicate a non-alert driver.

Remember, this IS dangerous and if there is an accident, it can probably easily be proven that it was autopilot induced crashed and therefore, your fault.

I took an 8 hour trip this past weekend. I had a few instances of a slowdown. I think it is important to distinguish the different types for a slowdown (Phantom braking). For one, it usually is not phantom per se. The car interprets inputs and performs some sort of reaction to the situation. The user perceives it as phantom because we may not know what the car is reacting to. I try to discover the reason at the moment looking at all sensor input indications; car in adjacent lane, gps speed limit marker, collision warning, etc.

The most common and slowdowns I had were as follows.

Car perceived encroaching in my lane. There were several instances here. Some were legit and others were incorrect vehicle sensor input. The legit lane encroaching could be interpreted as unnecessary but IMO legit. We may as a human interpret the car reaction as unnecessary. But, it did happen and the car responded. In FSD scenarios, you would want this to occur when you are not paying attention. What I did like was the degree in which the car responds. It seems to adjust to the severity of the encroachment; slight slow-down to heavy based on the degree of the sensory encroachment. I had other instances of lane changes that need improvement by the sensors with incorrect sensor inputs and car reactions. When changing lanes, if there is a car adjacent to the lane you are changing to, the sensors and car sometimes thinks the car is in the lane and abruptly aborts the lane change again with degree of sensor encroachment. This is predictable. When changing lanes and a car is two lanes over, there is a 50% chance the car will think the car is encroaching on your lane you are changing to. I acknowledge the difficulty and prepare myself to take over.

Car gps speed limit geofence is flat out wrong. There are two scenarios here. One, gps fenced speed limit is wrong for the road you are on and slows down accordingly. The slow down can be perceived as braking but is just the car letting off the accelerator to achieved incorrect gps fenced limit. Second, flat out wrong fenced confusion. I was on a 75 limit interstate, when approaching an interchange there are times it picks up the limit of the other road you are crossing. The cars limit indicator changed from 75 down to 45 and then goes back very quickly. So the car slowed down abruptly then sped back up. There are times after the slowdown I could identify the limit confusion and other I could not. They really need to fix this one. They either need to start reading the signs or just do a better job of identifying the legitimate speed limit. I would assume this is on their roadmap to improve before FSD is implemented.

Incorrect collision warning. On my daily drive, one of the roads have reflectors as lane markers. When and if I change lanes in AP the car incorrectly responds to a collision with the sounds and indicators and prepares the car to brake. It is seeing the reflectors as a collision.

IMO, the car is responding to sensory input. I would not perceive any of the scenarios as a software bug (car is not behaving as software is intending). The term "bug" is normally incorrectly applied.

Last edited:
Reactions: animorph
I wish there was a way to switch between the old and new logic (maybe not enough room to store both?). I don't mind being a beta tester, but when I am driving my family I don't want to turn on AP anymore due to all the slowdowns.

I've experienced phantom brake since I bought my autopilot feature in 2017 or more than 2 years.
I just have to adapt to it and press the accelerator pedal as needed.
It's an inherent limitation that all companies want to solve but none have been successful at it.
Unless Tesla switches to TeslaVision or LIDAR, expect this problem will continue for quite a foreseeable future.

Yup, I used to keep my foot near the accelerator for just this reason (to override the braking), but in the last several months, I have experienced ZERO phantom braking situations in the last 3,000 miles of driving. Therefore, I have to conclude that LIDAR or similar changes aren't needed if it is currently working ok with the existing hardware on my X 2.0. Oh, and I do mostly NOAP for my driving. I'd say it is 80% or more of my drive time. Guess I am just lucky.

Changes like what the OP mention is one reason why I am in the opposite camp of not allowing the car to update to new versions when everything is going smoothly for me. I wait until I see there is a significant new feature or set of features before I take the risk. Things like Fart mode, just don't help the car to drive any better. :D

This is the first time I have had this issue, started happening only after the latest update. It went from 70 to 20 before I realized WTF was going on because it was not a gradual slowdown, rather it just slammed on the brakes (could hear that sound you hear when autopilot is applying the brakes).

There was no bridge, no vehicle in front and this happened with adaptive cruise too (not just EAP).

The day I picked up my X it did the same thing on the freeway, it was so scary and thank god there was no one behind me.

This happened to me at least 5 times in about 5 miles yesterday. First on AP, then on TACC. I was driving the HOV lane going about 40 mph faster than the other lanes of traffic. Each time it seemed to be a phantom car moving into my lane. I had to stop using it.

This has made AP and TACC unusable! I can not believe this would get through the testing Tesla claims to do. Very bad and dangerous.

• Informative
Reactions: bayx

I've heard that it was fixed (or better, but not totally fixed) in 2019.8.3. Also, I've seen in other posts that there is some relationship between slowdowns and the "number of car lengths" setting for adaptive cruise control, whether it's set on or not. Most likely a bug ...

Car went from 2018.50.6 to 2019.8.4 without the other updates in between. Does anyone have feedback on this version? I am not quite ready for a phantom braking episode o_O Also, how much juice does sentry mode consume?

Phantom breaking is such an issue now that I have to keep my foot on the accelerator to override TACC when in the carpool lane as the car now grossly overreacts to ANY car AP/TACC feels like is too close to my lane... It's ridiculous and quite jarring when you're causing along and then suddenly the car slams on the breaks for no freaking reason... What's the point of these safety features if I have to keep my foot on the go peddle to override them?

It's just another example of how woefully far from FSD Tesla actually is compared to what they want us all to believe... Seems like every software update I get now the phantom breaking gets worse and I don't even want the "new" version of NoA... Again, what's the point of being able to turn off the changing lanes confirmation when the car constantly picks the wrong lane, can't handle multiple types of interchanges correctly, oh and I'm going to get nagged if I take my hands off the wheel and let the car drive...??? NoA to me is the stupidest "feature" Tesla has ever released so long as I have to keep my hands on the wheel... Seriously, again, what's the point? If I have to keep my hands on the wheel I'll just drive the damn thing...

Yeah I know I just went on a rant but it's comical just how bad AP/TACC is currently when in traffic much less how useless NoA really is in real life so long as I'm getting nagged when I try to let the car actually drive...

Jeff

• Informative
Reactions: bayx