Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sudden stop due to pedestrian close by

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was driving the other day on one of my local side streets that has on street parking. I was driving slowly when someone came onto the street to get in their car. The person was well clear of my driver side, but as I was about the pass by them the car abruptly locked up. I believe it thought i was going to hit there person (I had a quite a few feet of clearance between them and the car) and auto stopped. I was kinda scary...anyone else have something like this happen?

Yes, there is a noticeable increase in walkers and joggers around my neighborhood streets. I have learned to anticipate the sudden phantom braking and override it by pressing down on the accelerator. Kind of defeats the purpose of having this safety nanny because I have now conditioned myself to just override the emergency auto braking feature. I can see this eventually becoming a "boy who called wolf" situation.

Happened to me on the Baltimore-Washington Parkway last weekend. Dark, rainy night after 600 miles of driving. There were two cars parked on the shoulder, which on the BW Parkway is just wide enough for a car, and has, in many places, a little wall to keep you from pulling off into the dirt. Not at all a safe design, really. There was enough room to pass them safely, but as we got close someone walked around one of the cars. I don't remember exactly what happened but I think they were walking toward the travel lane. The car absolutely freaked. Hard braking, beeping, big "TAKE CONTROL IMMEDIATELY" alert. Fortunately the person behind was not tailgating me. To be fair, if the person had continued walking into the travel lane, the car would have stopped in time to not hit them, so at least there's that.

Next time I'm in that situation I'll just cancel TACC/Autosteer in advance and slow down (or move to the other lane if it's open).

This is the kind of edge case that makes me laugh at the whole "Full Self-Driving by the end of this year" promise. No way.

@Johnny Vector : switching off TACC in urban environment is nowadays my standard procedure, after the following "incident". My model 3 (that I own since februari 2019) did show a sudden braking manouvre when I had it just a week. I was driving in a 2 lane street with a concrete separation between the lanes in my village. A person on a bicycle crossed the road about 30-40 meters in front of my Tesla. As there is a speed limit of 50 km/h in villages, such a way of crossing is perfectly safe. I would never touch my brakes for that situation. The M3 however went full in its brakes:eek: : causing almost a heart attack for myself, my better half and the driver of the ICE behind me:rolleyes:.

@Johnny Vector : switching off TACC in urban environment is nowadays my standard procedure, after the following "incident". My model 3 (that I own since februari 2019) did show a sudden braking manouvre when I had it just a week. I was driving in a 2 lane street with a concrete separation between the lanes in my village. A person on a bicycle crossed the road about 30-40 meters in front of my Tesla. As there is a speed limit of 50 km/h in villages, such a way of crossing is perfectly safe. I would never touch my brakes for that situation. The M3 however went full in its brakes:eek: : causing almost a heart attack for myself, my better half and the driver of the ICE behind me:rolleyes:.

Yeah, I don't even use it on rural 2-lane roads. I haven't yet had it brake hard there, but it pretty regularly sees something it doesn't like and slows down 5 or 10 MPH. I usually don't see anything odd, so I guess it's a shadow, or a curve it can't extrapolate properly. And as you say, it definitely errs on the side of "don't hit that!" any time there's any possibility of something in the travel lane. Left turning cars for example, it seems to worry that they're just going to stop in the way of oncoming traffic.

To be sure, I'd rather have it fail that way than plow into something. But yeah, it's definitely best reserved for highways so far.

If you mean it’s doing this while autopilot is engaged, you are NOT using autopilot correctly. It should not be used in city streets, even if you have the FSD stack. If you have pedestrians on the freeway... well I would be extremely glad the car stops for them!

@acarney : You are right of course. The situation is a bit different in Europe (that's were I live). In my country we have "autowegen" and "autosnelwegen" (description in spoiler below). Pedestrians and slow traffic are not allowed on these roads.
When I got my M3 I used the TAC in the same way as the autocruise of the Renault Zoe: to keep a steady speed and nothing else. This is completely safe even in most 50km/h areas, providing the driver is alert. The difference with the Tesla's TAC was not clear to me at first (Note: I am NOT a native English speaker) from the description. The described incident made the difference between TAC and autocruise pretty obvious in about a second:rolleyes:.

Motorways in the Dutch road categorization

Until 1990, the names 'motorway' and 'motorway with separate carriageways and grade-separated intersections' were known in the Netherlands. The latter has since been called 'motorway' and is therefore no longer a motorway.

In the Netherlands, roads have been categorized on the basis of the Sustainable Safety vision since about 2000. Motorways are usually categorized as a regional through road, given the similarity in speed limit (100 km / h) and function (flow). According to the Sustainable Safety vision, regional arterial roads must be provided with physically separated carriageways and grade-separated crossings. The current motorways vary from 2x2-lane roads with an emergency lane (such as the N3 at Dordrecht and the N348 at Brummen) to single-lane roads with only a lane marking as a driving direction divider (these are mainly found in the northeast of the Netherlands). In addition, unlike motorways, intersections can be at ground level, possibly even with traffic lights.

As a result, the current motorways are difficult to recognize as such in terms of road image, as some motorways hardly differ from a motorway in terms of road image, while other motorways hardly differ from 80 km roads in terms of road image.

In order to increase the recognisability of 80 km roads, motorways that cannot (yet) be converted into a regional arterial road with separate carriageways and grade-separated intersections, will be provided with new road markings.

Such roads are given a:

continuous edge marking (to the right of the lane);
double axis marking with green fill (left of the lane), which acts as a virtual central reservation to discourage overtaking.