Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sudden Unexpected Acceleration today

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have EAP. I'm not talking about cruise already set, and I'm not talking about already moving on a normal road. Next time you're in a parking lot and the speed limit shows 45 MPH, please go ahead and press down on the stalk. I'm not responsible for what happens. What i'm saying: could this be what happened to the OP?

That's my first guess as well. I know I did this myself a couple of times during the first month of ownership.

My wife did this in her van while I was in it. She was trying to back up but instead she was in drive and was pressing on the accelerator while the car was being stopped by the cement barrier. No damage. But it taught me that humans make mistakes (brain farts). Cars like this REALLY need to take over and prevent the accident and probably just shut down and give the human time to reset.
There was a time when I thought the TM3 had changed driving directions and was in reverse when I was in drive. Very odd and I could not replicate. My thought is maybe I had somehow changed the “gear” while doing a sharp u-turn. It does not help that the gear indicator is extremely small and not color coded. There is no mechanical arm lock for RNPD like in traditional cars and the indicator is hard to see. I wish I could reengineer the whole GUI. Maybe I should apply for the open position....

This is exactly why I leave creep on. In a panic situation (especially at creep speeds typical of a parking lot or stop and go traffic) when the primitive portions of the brain are reacting, I’d rather that my foot be riding the brake pedal rather than the accelerator pedal.
I have creep off and I feel like I slow to a stop much more than other cars, like down to 1mph. What is the Tesla's speed with creep on?

Looking at this old thread and wondering if there is some type of kill switch. Let's say it really happened, how would you kill the motor?

And I will never say it cannot happen, because it happened to a buddy of mine on a Zero electric Motorcycle (2016 Zero DS 13). Not only that, when this happened (stuck near or at full speed with throttle all the way down), the kill switch didn't do anything. He was able to get his hand on the "ignition key" (this key disconnects the contactor in the battery) in time to prevent an accident. I know the details because I called the tow truck for him to take the bike to the closest Zero shop.

He came off a very bumpy unpaved road but was around two miles down the pavement when this happened. He didn't do anything when the "bike tried to kill me" (his words).

The only thing that stopped the bike was the ignition key that our Teslas do not even have.

The problem was confirmed by the motorcycle shop. They first were warned to NOT test ride the bike. The problem was what is called the "commissioning" (3 phase PWM to the motor) which somehow got way out of sync with the motor and made the motor go to or near full speed. It also ruined the motor (or was it a chicken or egg type of thing--nobody knows). I never did understand why the kill switch didn't work, but it seemed this also had an effect on the data that was used for the kill switch (which I now think is a very stupid design.) The only thing that would kill the motor was the main switch--which our Model Three Teslas doensn't even have. Or does it? I am a rather new owner and have not driven my Tesla that much in the month I have owned it. But is there a way that will kill the power to the motor for certain if it does happen?

-Don- Auburn, CA

but why press brake and accelerator pedal at the same time then?
Why indeed. I can't figure out why anybody would consider doing that. Who is saying to press both? And even if you were to press both.... as other have said several times in this thread... the accelerator does nothing.

The question was "is there a kill switch?" And the answer is yes. It is the brake pedal.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
I had my car detailed recently by a mobile detailer, when my aftermarket floor mats were put back in the car (3D Maxpider Kagu) he had inadvertently covered the accelerator, as I drove around the corner I noticed the car not decelerating after letting of the pedal and I quickly pressed the brake pedal to get a warning that both pedals were pressed at the same time but the car still stopped as designed although it did freak me out a bit, not sure about o.p.'s issue and why the brake did not work at all?????

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911