Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sudden Unexpected Acceleration today

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That’s the funny thing about unintended acceleration. If the driver intended to press the brake and, instead, pressed the throttle. It is, by definition, unintended. They intended to stop, but did not.

The funny thing about your brain is if you think you pressing the brake, you will NEVER be able to comprehend that you were pressing the throttle. That’s because your brain already convinced itself it was pressing the brake by doing so.

Do we need pedal cams to convince these people they are at fault?

Reactions: stephenpace
That’s the funny thing about unintended acceleration. If the driver intended to press the brake and, instead, pressed the throttle. It is, by definition, unintended. They intended to stop, but did not.

The funny thing about your brain is if you think you pressing the brake, you will NEVER be able to comprehend that you were pressing the throttle. That’s because your brain already convinced itself it was pressing the brake by doing so.

Do we need pedal cams to convince these people they are at fault?
Using "unintended" for this gives us the same problem as calling every crash an "accident." I think we can stipulate that nobody means to shoot their car into a building or wall or river. Nor do they intend to crash into another car. So let's call them crashes, and then figure out why it happened. And it is almost always human error.

Otherwise, we should discount everything in life that turns out bad as "Oops. Didn't mean to."

- now that I think about it, I think there is a speed range that it will lock. I know stopped. I’m not sure about anything between stopped and 18mph...

Again, more testing required.

Some testing done today. And surprise! I was allowed to set TACC at 0 mph (We all knew that) but also at 3-9 mph. Consistently. Now, I couldn't do it at 1 or 2. But I did get it at 10 mph once. But for some reason the sweet spot was 0, then 3-9 mph... and then 18.

Can anybody reason that one out for us??

Was there a car in front of you?
Yes.

TACC, EAP, AP currently require the car in front of you to be tracked for engagement below 18 mph.
Yes.

It would appear that in a full parking lot, that there is *always* a car somewhere in front of you. At least when you're swinging around an island of parked cars as we usually find in a parking lot

• Helpful
Reactions: mongo
In the most juvenile and condescending tone as if there's a language barrier in a B-movie: If your foot on brake, car not move. Foot on brake. Car not move. Period.

Except when the brakes are iced over of glazed with water... then the powertrain will overpower the brakes (definitely not what happened here!)

Had a few surprises last winter... disks were covered something that made the first 1-2sec of braking completely ineffective. I was also wearing boots (winter)... had a pedestrian jump in front of me out of nowhere... hit the brakes a bit in a hurry. For a good second or two, *felt like* car accelerated slightly before getting the "both pedal pressed" message. Emphasis on "felt like".

Looking at my dashcam footage (that includes G-meter), car didn't accelerate one bit. It slowed down... but not as much as I was expecting it to because of the brake issue. Things were made worst by the fact that the brake pedal feeling was weird and I pushed more and more on it... and the tip of my boot hit the accelerator.

Was in complete disbelief that I touched both pedals. Was convinced I just had an unintended acceleration event... then re-did the same thing a few seconds later while checking my feet and as expected, I was touching the accelerator. Pushing more meant more accelerator too.

Had it happen to me a few times...Lessons learned : when backing out of the garage after a humid day or getting out the highway in icing condition, I put the car in neutral and dry my brakes a few times... never had an issue since.

I think pre-AP cars are more prone to this because ESP1 doesn't automatically dry brakes (or not as much as ESP2 cars).