Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sudden Unexpected Acceleration today

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Story on KPIX5 news at noon. Model 3 crashed into a restaurant this morning in Danville, CA. Ruled pedal confusion. Refreshing to hear on the news and that they weren't claiming unintended acceleration or AP fault.

Tesla Crashes Into Restaurant In Danville
Pedal confusion is a very apt term. I bet almost all "unexpected acceleration" is caused by pedal confusion.

Six local news stories from various sources reporting on the accident. All had "Tesla" in the title and only the San Jose Mercury News had a title like this: "Tesla Model 3 crash into Danville sushi restaurant 'not the fault of car "
Let's try to avoid calling it an accident. That just puts us right back to "I didn't intend!" This was a crash. Caused by the driver hitting the wrong pedal. We should only care about why this happened (so we can understand and prevent it). Otherwise... if the car had accelerated on its own, that would have been an accident too, right? I'm sure the car didn't mean to.

Based on the pictures from the accident in China, I'd say the brakes might be quite wet.

Maybe they should also complain to Tesla about the tail lights fogging.
OK, that was funny.

BUT!... we don't care about their intent... this "accident." We want to know WHY it happened. This incident is a misapplication of the pedals, not just an "oops, I didn't mean to."

Let's try to avoid calling it an accident. That just puts us right back to "I didn't intend!" This was a crash. Caused by the driver hitting the wrong pedal. We should only care about why this happened (so we can understand and prevent it). Otherwise... if the car had accelerated on its own, that would have been an accident too, right? I'm sure the car didn't mean to.

LOL so you think the driver meant to do it then and it wasn't an accident? The car definitely did crash though. Fortunately no fire which frequently gets brought up in news stories about Teslas.

At 92, glad he wasn't hurt and certainly not someone who was afraid of all the tech. It's amazing how wide a base of owners Tesla has.

Last edited:
LOL so you think the driver meant to do it then?
Absolutely not meant to be funny. And if it sounded like I thought that the driver meant to do it, my point was totally lost.

We can safely assume that none of these incidents are intended, so why do we insist on calling them all "unitendeds" when what we want to know is why it happened? It happened because the wrong pedal was pressed. It didn't happen *because* it was unintended.

Why do I get all worked up about this? Because:

Referring to a crash as an ‘accident’ obscures the preventable nature of collisions
And isn't that the basis of the whole discussion here? The folks involved are claiming that there was nothing they could do! It was unpreventable.

We cannot fix unintendeds and unforseables but we can fix the cause of crashes. Accident offers a pass for negligence.

(And no, I don't need internet definitions pasted here to show support for Accident. The implications of words are more relevant than definitions. And there is not merely a single definition for accident.)

Last edited:
Reactions: humbaba
Should we call it an oopsy instead?

Reactions: Runt8
Only if you wish to entertain the thought that pedal misapplication isn't a correctable cause of these unintended unforseeables. Car crashes should not be considered inevitable. Imagine if we treated plane crashes with the same sort of indifference to finding a solution.
Accidents are almost always avoidable, but we still call them accidents.

Most plane crashes are caused by pilot error, so they aren't really much different from car crashes.

Reactions: Runt8
Accidents are almost always avoidable, but we still call them accidents.
I'm aware that we do. And we should stop. Because "Oops, I made a mistake" implies that the negligence was unavoidable. Again, my whole point that you seem to be supporting.

Most plane crashes are caused by pilot error, so they aren't really much different from car crashes.
And yet another great point. You know one big way that they're different? When a plane hits something, it is invariably called a crash by the authorities (don't get me started on reporters). We know that the crashes are preventable, and we don't imply otherwise. We call them crashes because we want to find out what caused the crash and how to prevent it next time. Unlike car "accidents" plane crashes are thoroughly investigated. Every time. We never say, "oops, it was just a plane accident."

You're not alone is wishing to defend the use of accident. I don't understand it, but obviously I can't stop you. I understand your logic to a point. But for what purpose do you wish to defend the loaded, subjective term for an objective incident? Because it is in common use? That's the only thing I can think of. This thread especially points out why we need to distinguish between "unintended acceleration" and "wrong pedal was pressed." And if everything is "oops, didn't mean to" we might as well just move on and accept that "accidents happen."

I tried to make my point. There's no advantage to using accident except to take the edge off of a catastrophic incident. There are many advantages to using more objective words. "Accident" is common, and we all know what it means. But it's works against us when we want to know what happened, and how to prevent it.

I'm done at least in this thread! And I'm sure that'll be met with much applause by the other readers. Sorry gang. This is one of my pet things.

I guess some people have their accidents, others have their bricking and others still have their dealership issues. Those that have been on the forum long enough will understand this. And to others is it tomato - tomato POV. :)

Back to point of thread, nice to see at least one publication absolving Tesla and not use as clickbait.

Hi Folks,

Long time TMC lurker, however first time poster. I wish my first post would have been about the excitement of getting my M3. However, I have a much serious topic to post about.

Today while out for shopping my wife met with an accident in the parking lot of a grocery store here in Chandler, AZ. She is badly shaken up. Issue occurred while trying to park the vehicle in a parking lot of a grocery store. The vehicle was in the parking space position when it suddenly accelerated without any input from her. She said she applied the brakes, however they felt inoperative. It felt as though the driver had no control over braking and the vehicle had a mind of its own.

She turned the steering wheel to avoid directly hitting a dumpster while trying to brake. The passenger side of the vehicle then hit a curb and a concrete wall. After the impact, she managed to turn the vehicle while applying the brakes that eventually brought the vehicle to a stop.

My wife called Tesla, however they were of not much help. The service center individual instructed my wife that they could not tow the car to the service center given the car had suffered damage and they can only accept cars after the damage has been fixed. Not in the state to argue, we called our insurance and had our car towed to a Tesla authorized repair shop.

I know there are several cases registered with NHTSA and I even found class action lawsuit against Tesla regarding sudden or unintended acceleration, I feel mine is the first case of a Model 3 with behavior that has been seen with S or X several times. What is surprising that EVERY instance of this case has pointed to driver error. I find it ridiculous to dismiss people reporting a serious security flaw with a vehicle to saying - the logs show 100% accelerator press by the driver as the car will NOT do ANYTHING the driver does not intend for it to do. Then how do you explain an individual's reaction to STOMP on the wrong pedal while they are trying to ease into a parking spot?? - it is illogical and irrational to ever surmise that a driver's who's so familiar with the concept of regen braking will press the (wrong) pedal so hard that the car would suddenly accelerate like crazy.

What she went through today is very disconcerting and unsettling. My confidence in cutting edge technology is shaken that helps Tesla to beat other automakers in making technologically forward vehicles. I have been a software professional my entire career and can understand bugs / glitches in the Software. It is one thing to not be able to control volume of the radio of my car (as it happened last night while driving from our friend's house, the left scroll button kept moving the steering wheel even though the option was not enabled), it scary to even think of the car doing what it did! The consequences could have been catastrophic. I am thankful that she is safe as there was the wall protecting her from cross traffic on the main street.

Please be careful, cognizant, and caring of your loved ones.

View attachment 298881 View attachment 298882 View attachment 298883
The

Hi Folks,

Long time TMC lurker, however first time poster. I wish my first post would have been about the excitement of getting my M3. However, I have a much serious topic to post about.

Today while out for shopping my wife met with an accident in the parking lot of a grocery store here in Chandler, AZ. She is badly shaken up. Issue occurred while trying to park the vehicle in a parking lot of a grocery store. The vehicle was in the parking space position when it suddenly accelerated without any input from her. She said she applied the brakes, however they felt inoperative. It felt as though the driver had no control over braking and the vehicle had a mind of its own.

She turned the steering wheel to avoid directly hitting a dumpster while trying to brake. The passenger side of the vehicle then hit a curb and a concrete wall. After the impact, she managed to turn the vehicle while applying the brakes that eventually brought the vehicle to a stop.

My wife called Tesla, however they were of not much help. The service center individual instructed my wife that they could not tow the car to the service center given the car had suffered damage and they can only accept cars after the damage has been fixed. Not in the state to argue, we called our insurance and had our car towed to a Tesla authorized repair shop.

I know there are several cases registered with NHTSA and I even found class action lawsuit against Tesla regarding sudden or unintended acceleration, I feel mine is the first case of a Model 3 with behavior that has been seen with S or X several times. What is surprising that EVERY instance of this case has pointed to driver error. I find it ridiculous to dismiss people reporting a serious security flaw with a vehicle to saying - the logs show 100% accelerator press by the driver as the car will NOT do ANYTHING the driver does not intend for it to do. Then how do you explain an individual's reaction to STOMP on the wrong pedal while they are trying to ease into a parking spot?? - it is illogical and irrational to ever surmise that a driver's who's so familiar with the concept of regen braking will press the (wrong) pedal so hard that the car would suddenly accelerate like crazy.

What she went through today is very disconcerting and unsettling. My confidence in cutting edge technology is shaken that helps Tesla to beat other automakers in making technologically forward vehicles. I have been a software professional my entire career and can understand bugs / glitches in the Software. It is one thing to not be able to control volume of the radio of my car (as it happened last night while driving from our friend's house, the left scroll button kept moving the steering wheel even though the option was not enabled), it scary to even think of the car doing what it did! The consequences could have been catastrophic. I am thankful that she is safe as there was the wall protecting her from cross traffic on the main street.

Please be careful, cognizant, and caring of your loved ones.

View attachment 298881 View attachment 298882 View attachment 298883
I've had the same thing happen twice now. Both times when pulling into a parking space. There first time I attributed it to driver error but the second time I had just finished pulling into a parking space and suddenly it took off like a shot. Luckily I only hit a couple of garbage cans and the vehicle stopped when I stomped on the brake pedal. I also had obstacle aware acceleration set so none of this should have happened. This time I was able to record the exact time of the incident and sent in a bug report. Will call Tesla tomorrow to see if they can figure anything out from their end.