Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sudden Unexpected Acceleration today

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The only un-intended acceleration my car has ever showed me is when I was going through a car wash.....in drive ( roll mode ) and I forgot it was already in drive at the end and I hit the stalk to put it in drive - and it went into cruise control which was set for 35mph.

I didn't expect the acceleration but that was my fault. I forgot that I was already in drive and all I had to do was to hit the accelerator.

I made that mistake "ONCE" and after over 100 car washes I have never done that again.

BTW...I never put my car in neutral going through a car wash. I remember over a year ago...I had to step on the brake to get it into drive ( from neutral ) and shut the entire car wash line down as the rollers.....well anyway....it wasn't a good thing. I'm not sure with all of the updates since - if you have to still hit the brake to get from neutral to drive. I haven't tried it lately.

Reactions: Joshan
The only un-intended acceleration my car has ever showed me is when I was going through a car wash.....in drive ( roll mode ) and I forgot it was already in drive at the end and I hit the stalk to put it in drive - and it went into cruise control which was set for 35mph.

I didn't expect the acceleration but that was my fault. I forgot that I was already in drive and all I had to do was to hit the accelerator.

I made that mistake "ONCE" and after over 100 car washes I have never done that again.

BTW...I never put my car in neutral going through a car wash. I remember over a year ago...I had to step on the brake to get it into drive ( from neutral ) and shut the entire car wash line down as the rollers.....well anyway....it wasn't a good thing. I'm not sure with all of the updates since - if you have to still hit the brake to get from neutral to drive. I haven't tried it lately.

It's not your fault, you are not supposed to take a Tesla to a car wash, it will take the paint off:) Seriously though, never use one it will destroy your paint unless there is not a single brush in the entire wash.

Tesla responds today: There is no “unintended acceleration” in Tesla vehicles

There is no “unintended acceleration” in Tesla vehicles
The Tesla Team January 20, 2020

This petition is completely false and was brought by a Tesla short-seller. We investigate every single incident where the driver alleges to us that their vehicle accelerated contrary to their input, and in every case where we had the vehicle's data, we confirmed that the car operated as designed. In other words, the car accelerates if, and only if, the driver told it to do so, and it slows or stops when the driver applies the brake.

While accidents caused by a mistaken press of the accelerator pedal have been alleged for nearly every make/model of vehicle on the road, the accelerator pedals in Model S, X and 3 vehicles have two independent position sensors, and if there is any error, the system defaults to cut off motor torque. Likewise, applying the brake pedal simultaneously with the accelerator pedal will override the accelerator pedal input and cut off motor torque, and regardless of the torque, sustained braking will stop the car. Unique to Tesla, we also use the Autopilot sensor suite to help distinguish potential pedal misapplications and cut torque to mitigate or prevent accidents when we’re confident the driver’s input was unintentional. Each system is independent and records data, so we can examine exactly what happened.

We are transparent with NHTSA, and routinely review customer complaints of unintended acceleration with them. Over the past several years, we discussed with NHTSA the majority of the complaints alleged in the petition. In every case we reviewed with them, the data proved the vehicle functioned properly.

I'ts not whether these problems occur - man has yet to design a failure-proof system of any kind. It's how errors are addressed that matters. I'm very happy to own a Tesla because it's highly probable that - in the slim chance a problem is found - it can be solved with a software update.

I agree that computers definitely can have various design faults that can lead to errors, no one can say that things are 100% safe. That having said, we've came a long way since discovering this aspect of faults in computers and error handling in memory modules.

Here a summary of what Sandy Munro had to say after taking apart the Model 3:
"According to Munro, the Model 3’s Automatic Drive Modules are a class above the industry, featuring a design architecture that is usually found on high-end electronics and government-grade machines. Munro even compared the Model 3’s drive module to the flight controller of the F-35, which he is familiar with due to his company’s work for the US military."

It might be a stretch, but having access to Space X might give the team at Tesla some hints as to how to build robust electronic hardware.

Yes nobody should make automatic assumptions, though at the end of the day, it is data and reports that we can only rely upon. So far I'm leaning towards Jason Hughes's finding from the log files which disproof the acceleration claims.

Tesla responds today: There is no “unintended acceleration” in Tesla vehicles

There is no “unintended acceleration” in Tesla vehicles
The Tesla Team January 20, 2020

This petition is completely false and was brought by a Tesla short-seller. We investigate every single incident where the driver alleges to us that their vehicle accelerated contrary to their input, and in every case where we had the vehicle's data, we confirmed that the car operated as designed. In other words, the car accelerates if, and only if, the driver told it to do so, and it slows or stops when the driver applies the brake.

While accidents caused by a mistaken press of the accelerator pedal have been alleged for nearly every make/model of vehicle on the road, the accelerator pedals in Model S, X and 3 vehicles have two independent position sensors, and if there is any error, the system defaults to cut off motor torque. Likewise, applying the brake pedal simultaneously with the accelerator pedal will override the accelerator pedal input and cut off motor torque, and regardless of the torque, sustained braking will stop the car. Unique to Tesla, we also use the Autopilot sensor suite to help distinguish potential pedal misapplications and cut torque to mitigate or prevent accidents when we’re confident the driver’s input was unintentional. Each system is independent and records data, so we can examine exactly what happened.

We are transparent with NHTSA, and routinely review customer complaints of unintended acceleration with them. Over the past several years, we discussed with NHTSA the majority of the complaints alleged in the petition. In every case we reviewed with them, the data proved the vehicle functioned properly.

Can we drop the mic now? Its over.

I can push the accelerator to the floor, drive unit appears to be in neutral (no hold). While the cluster shows drive. Pressing the brake, and clicking into drive a second time, the drive unit now goes into drive. Again, this is new after the last update, and I'm used to it now.

The first day I thought it was my fault, second day coincidence, third day It's a bug.

• Helpful
Reactions: mongo
I can push the accelerator to the floor, drive unit appears to be in neutral (no hold). While the cluster shows drive. Pressing the brake, and clicking into drive a second time, the drive unit now goes into drive. Again, this is new after the last update, and I'm used to it now.

The first day I thought it was my fault, second day coincidence, third day It's a bug.

That is weird. Does it only happen after being stopped for a while? Have you tried cycling through creep, hold, and roll? The setting may have gotten out of sync with the update. There is also the reset option, which you may have done already.

• Informative
Reactions: Tron 3
I have decided if I ever get pulled over by a cop for launching the car at a stop light, the exact words I will use are

"my car is susceptible to sudden, unexpected acceleration"

Will post back the results with what they say.