Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sudden Unexpected Acceleration today

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The only un-intended acceleration my car has ever showed me is when I was going through a car wash.....in drive ( roll mode ) and I forgot it was already in drive at the end and I hit the stalk to put it in drive - and

The only un-intended acceleration my car has ever showed me is when I was going through a car wash.....in drive ( roll mode ) and I forgot it was already in drive at the end and I hit the stalk to put it in drive - and it went into cruise control which was set for 35mph.

I didn't expect the acceleration but that was my fault. I forgot that I was already in drive and all I had to do was to hit the accelerator.

I made that mistake "ONCE" and after over 100 car washes I have never done that again.

BTW...I never put my car in neutral going through a car wash. I remember over a year ago...I had to step on the brake to get it into drive ( from neutral ) and shut the entire car wash line down as the rollers.....well anyway....it wasn't a good thing. I'm not sure with all of the updates since - if you have to still hit the brake to get from neutral to drive. I haven't tried it lately.

So how do you thru car wash with "hold" mode again?. Step by step please as I will try. Thanks

The amazing part for me for all those claiming unintended acceleration is that they also seem to always claim they are pressing on the brake pedal and not the accelerator. They never seem to claim their foot is nowhere near any of the pedals. So when comparing the likelihood of pedal misapplication versus the car suddenly accelerating on its own, the only reasonable conclusion is the former and not the latter.

Tesla logs when both pedals are pressed, and S/X show warning on screen, I would guess 3 does also. Sorry OP's wife had to go through this. Actually I had a relative not used to driving Tesla's drive one of our S through a wall recently.. Both peddles pressed for a little, warning was not noticed, then they panicked sent the car through a wall.

My relative was not used to so much power instantly and no creep I guess.

OK, I've read a lot of these posts, but I'm not going to wade through all 42 pages. I decided to test Tesla's claim that the brake will override inputs from the accelerator. I pressed the accelerator while my foot was on the brake. Default went to brake. It was not an override as such, as in over powering the accelerator. Instead the accelerator input was nullified. Next I pressed the accelerator before applying the brake. When the brake was applied, the accelerator input was cancelled, with a warning message that both pedals were applied. I believe this is what Tesla claims should happen. It is working in my car.

I'll relate a past experience. Some years ago I was stopped at an intersection, in the left turn lane. I was driving a Mazda regular cab pickup with manual transmission. I checked my rear view mirror to see a dump truck bearing down on me. The driver's eyes were wide open - funny how that sticks with me. He struck me and sent me through the intersection. As my head bounced off the back glass of the cab I stomped for all I was worth on the clutch pedal, attempting to stop the truck. By the time I found the actual brake pedal I was through the intersection. Fortunately I arrived there unscathed. My point is that once I selected the wrong pedal I compounded my error by pressing it harder - for all I was worth, actually. It could have just as easily been the accelerator.

How do you select 'tow' mode? I didn't know there was one. Glad there is.
It's under the service tab.
Sorry my wife has the car out so I can't go take a picture at the moment.
Which is a couple of steps. And why a carwash mode should.
1. Fold the mirrors in
2. Allow you to select neutral and get out of the seat without the seat belt being inserted (and maybe not shut down the main drive battery as extremely as tow mode seems to do. It does not turn off the 12v system).
3. Turn off auto wipers.
4. Prevent doors locking

Call it "Don Mode" like Joe Mode lol.

Last edited:
It's under the service tab.
Sorry my wife has the car out so I can't go take a picture at the moment.
Which is a couple of steps. And why a carwash mode should.
1. Fold the mirrors in
2. Allow you to select neutral and get out of the seat without the seat belt being inserted (and maybe not shut down the main drive battery as extremely as tow mode seems to do. It does not turn off the 12v system).
3. Turn off auto wipers.
4. Prevent doors locking

Call it "Don Mode" like Joe Mode lol.

Agreed, and thanks.

I had a similar thing to the OP yesterday. I was pulling into a spot in a parking garage at low speed. My car jolted forward but I was able to immediately press the brake and then normally pulled into the spot. I always blame the human when I read these stories. I still think I could have been the problem somehow so I'm not stressing about it. I will report back if it happens again. I know the address where this happened. Do you think I can give a bug report for an event that happened 1.5 days ago if there is an address associated with it?

with quick reflexes, can the driver hit the stalk to put the car in neutral? I've had an Infiniti QX4 get the pedal stuck on the hwy and turned off the ignition immediately to coast safely off the road.
Going into neutral should stop acceleration promptly.

with quick reflexes, can the driver hit the stalk to put the car in neutral? I've had an Infiniti QX4 get the pedal stuck on the hwy and turned off the ignition immediately to coast safely off the road.
Going into neutral should stop acceleration promptly.
Yes, you could. But that's not a natural action, and it would take some thought. If you wish to use quick reflexes, do the natural thing that will be faster and more effective: Push the brake pedal.

When the brake pedal is deployed, the power to the go pedal is cut, even if the go pedal is slapped to the floor. I recommend that everybody go out right now and prove it to yourself. It can be done quite safely. Beginning at low speed, start accelerating gently, and with your other foot, tap the brake pedal. Presto... the previously positive acceleration suddenly becomes negative acceleration.

Why not just put it in NEUTRAL? This would avoid the problem of accidentally putting it in Cruise Control

Avoid the problem of accidently...?

I don't have the problem of accidently doing anything of the kind.

Why would that be a problem?

I pull in in drive....and at the end.....I step on the accelerator and just go. Why would I have to press the stalk?

I don't like stepping on the brake at the end of a car wash to move the gear from neutral to drive.

My way - I just let off the accelerator at the beginning of the wash....the car coasts through in drive.....then just press the accelerator at the end to go.

Reactions: destructure00