Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sudden Unintended Acceleration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been told exactly the same thing by someone who used to run the Tesla autopilot team. We were discussing a similar claim - and he explained to me why it couldn't happen. It's nice to see the same information coming from another source. I'm sorry, @Ying, but I have to agree with Big Earl & others who have suggested you pressed the accelerator, thinking it was the brake.

@Big Earl and @bonnie

We will agree to disagree. Is there any way to get a closer look to data log before we have any conclusion?

What is OP?
My NHTSA case # is 11064628
With full disclosure on my VIN and detail described. I will share further if that helps my investigation.
OP = original poster

The reason I've mentioned this is there are a lot of individuals with different reasoning going into forums like such and making false claims, again didnt say your story did or did not happen, just wanted to have the context out there.

The traction motor on the Model S is a three-phase induction motor instead of a permanent magnet DC motor for the electronic throttle

You are conflating two completely different things.

The traction motors are what propel the vehicle. These have absolutely nothing to do with the accelerator pedal or how it functions.

Makes no difference. The throttle pedal still uses two POTS that go to the logic board in the invertor that then drives the motor.

Similar from a control standpoint to the electronic throttle motor on a gasoline engine. However, it draws an electric current of over 1000amp instead of only 10amp or less. Making it much more powerful.

No worries. Do you know if there is any way to get a closer look on the datalog? That is my main purpose here - looking for guidance for investigation?

Aside from getting the information from Tesla, I don’t know how you would access it. @wk057 might have an idea, but I’m sure it will require specialized computer equipment that will be difficult to get your hands on.

• Helpful
Reactions: AnxietyRanger
I've made offers to people several times over cases where people were trying to blame Tesla for user error issues or felt that an autopilot airbag triggered recording would exonerate them from something.

My offer is always the same: You provide me access to the vehicle, I'll pull the logs and parse the relevant data. I'll then share the results, regardless of what they end up revealing, with you, Tesla, your insurance company, and I reserve the right to post the data wherever else it may be relevant.

Thus far only one person decided to take me up on this, then got cold feet at the 11th hour thinking it'd be best not to do so. I'm reasonably certain that these people just didn't want to have confirmation that they'd screwed up.

Every case of "sudden unintended acceleration" with a Tesla is driver error. Period. There is no way for the vehicle to accelerate on its own like people claim. It's also always pedal misapplication, too, where the driver presses the accelerator when they should be braking. Almost always cases where the car is slowing to a stop, then "suddenly" accelerates (because the driver hit the accelerator instead of the brake at the time they would be hitting the brake to stop the car).

I've pulled logs from at least two cars that, when looking back at news and posts, claimed unintended acceleration. The logs in both cases clearly showed the driver applying the accelerator pedal at the time of the accident. Electrek did an article about this: Several Tesla owners claim Model X accelerated/crashed on its own but everything points to user error

The vehicle logs the outputs of both hall effect sensors in the accelerator pedal independently. They both must match their respective output curves during a go-pedal press in order for the car to respond to a request for acceleration. If anything is off, the car doesn't move. If one sensor goes out, the car will operate in limp mode with drastically reduced torque.

Suffice it to say, there quite literally is no way for a Tesla Model S/X/3 to do what people claim without the driver pressing the accelerator pedal.

Ying, can we see a photo of your car damage? Curious how much there was and to what parts. Down the road would love to hear about the repair costs.
IMG_5944.jpg
IMG_5943.jpg
IMG_5938.jpg
IMG_5937.jpg
IMG_5933.jpg

Thanks. I was picturing something far worse to the car and the building. Still a nice new car has gotta hurt seeing anyway. Did the right front bumper area hit the corner of the window stucco'd area then? From the pics were you losing some kind of fluid? Hope you had that checked out after it happened.

• Helpful
Reactions: AnxietyRanger
Thanks. I was picturing something far worse to the car and the building. Still a nice new car has gotta hurt seeing anyway. Did the right front bumper area hit the corner of the window stucco'd area then? From the pics were you losing some kind of fluid? Hope you had that checked out after it happened.

Yes I was very lucky the car was very slow and the SUA happened only 7 feets to the stucco'd/ concrete wall. There is fluid in greenish leaking all the way. I will certainly have everything checked out and the car is currently in Tesla authorized shop over in Fremont.

Still hoping Tesla can take a look at the car at design level and having an open discussion with me to better understand how it occurs.

As of now, I still have not received any email from Tesla which they promised to send me my case report.

Yes I was very lucky the car was very slow and the SUA happened only 7 feets to the stucco'd/ concrete wall. There is fluid in greenish leaking all the way. I will certainly have everything checked out and the car is currently in Tesla authorized shop over in Fremont.

Still hoping Tesla can take a look at the car at design level and having an open discussion with me to better understand how it occurs.

As of now, I still have not received any email from Tesla which they promised to send me my case report.
Multiple people have pointed out that this has to be a result of human error. I'm sorry, Ying, I know you want to hear something else. I'm not sure what you want Tesla to tell you or what design problem you want them to fix.

If you really want the info, take @wk057 up on his offer.

Unintended acceleration cases are almost universally determined to be user error. This is especially so with Teslas. Telemetry doesn't lie. You hit the gas pedal then the brake. You want to argue with a computer?

The consequences of hitting the accelerator unintentionally is amplified on a powerful electric vehicle given the low latency reaction of the drivetrain.

Last edited:
You want to argue with a computer?

Little OT, but this reminded me of this:

If you really want the info, take @wk057 up on his offer.

Yep, would be happy to check it out if you're able to make the arrangements. Like I said, though, it's basically a given that the data I pull will match what Tesla has already told you (accelerator pressed).