Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sudden Unintended Acceleration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you're still looking to do this, these guys make a dongle to control the accelerator pedal with faked human inputs.

I'd bet a Tesla would reject it into limp mode. It's definitely not as simple as throwing a few DACs in place to get it to fully control the system like this. Tesla has done of a lot on the hardware side of things to prevent such an issue or attack on the system. This might work on other vehicles, but you won't get a full launch out of a Tesla with that hardware.

• Informative
Reactions: croman
The Openpilot team isn't using it for launching so there's no testing but it works in normal driving and lets them control speed without resorting to the cruise control hacks they'd been doing previously. It's actually wired inline with the pedal and sending signals that mimc your feet so if you record your own real input and repeat them it should work, in theory, the same as you pressing your foot to the floor.

I want to see you do it, if only because remote an AP quarter mile run would be some kind of silly but fun milestone.

The Openpilot team isn't using it for launching so there's no testing but it works in normal driving and lets them control speed without resorting to the cruise control hacks they'd been doing previously. It's actually wired inline with the pedal and sending signals that mimc your feet so if you record your own real input and repeat them it should work, in theory, the same as you pressing your foot to the floor.

I want to see you do it, if only because remote an AP quarter mile run would be some kind of silly but fun milestone.

The Comma Pedal is a little different AFAIK, but I actually wasn't aware they were using it with the Tesla variant at all.

In any case, my main point behind the note was that there's just no way any kind of failure would result in a launch.... just your failure to remove your foot from the accelerator pedal.

In this situation, seems the wife is the genius and the husband is the idiot. The wife skirted all responsibility, got him to believe this nonsense and actually submit that claim!
17jffi.jpg

The Comma Pedal is a little different AFAIK, but I actually wasn't aware they were using it with the Tesla variant at all.

In any case, my main point behind the note was that there's just no way any kind of failure would result in a launch.... just your failure to remove your foot from the accelerator pedal.
I'm not even interested in how a failure could accelerate - with how much pedal verification they do I just don't seeing an actual case of acceleration without foot happening outside of something like the Comma hardware.

I was just sharing that hoping you'd make something like it to automate a level-5 launch.

I just saw this in the news

Tesla allegedly has an unintended acceleration problem - CNN

I was like this happened to me too. Has anyone else had this experience.
This happened to me when I pulled out of the parking lot going at <10 mph. I take my foot of the accelerator as I approach the stop sign and the car keeps coasting and does not stop, closer to the stop sign I tap on the brakes and it accelerates probably trying to maintain the 10mph, then I slammed the brakes, ABS ON and stops just after the stop sign. First thing I did searched the forums and left it at that. There was a SW update that night after it happened, maybe a coincidence. I also noticed when stopped at 0mph the screen on the dash showing a little acceleration or power being drawn. I took a picture of it too, just in case because Tesla is known for blaming the driver. Never happened after that one incidence but I felt so insecure for weeks driving.
Anyone else...

Every car maker has SUA filings. Sudden Unintended Acceleration has been a complaint with cars dating back to when recordkeeping started.

On EVs the brake pedal disconnects the motor current. Throttle pedals have at least 2 sensors, some have 3.
Very few SUA cases prove to be a car problem. Most are:
1) Driver's foot on wrong pedal.
2) Floormat blocking pedal return.
3) Foreign objects loose on floor.

But for EVs with regen, none are perfect yet. While they won't cause SUA, they can cause very heavy brake pedal effort due to regen being cut off in low traction or high SOC %.

The problem is aggravated by the instant response and high torque of EV powertrains. A quick stomp on a gas car gives you some time to recover, EVs are not as forgiving.

I always recommend to new EV drivers to set your car to CREEP ON, and Low Regen setting to make it behave more like a conventional ICE automatic.

...I felt so insecure for weeks driving....

Tesla logs all activities of both your foot pedals and so far, it's all pointing to pedal misapplications.

NHTSA cites there are about 16,000 preventable pedal misapplication crashes every year.

I think this problem should be solved with the new Tesla one-pedal driving (Driving > Stopping Mode > Hold) for all newer Tesla with permanent magnet motors which include Model 3 and Raven Model S and X.

This one pedal driving does not work with older Model S and X (non-Raven) so, if you are concerned enough, you should get a Model 3 or Raven S and X.

Reactions: pilotSteve
Tesla logs all activities of both your foot pedals and so far, it's all pointing to pedal misapplications.

NHTSA cites there are about 16,000 preventable pedal misapplication crashes every year.

I think this problem should be solved with the new Tesla one-pedal driving (Driving > Stopping Mode > Hold) for all newer Tesla with permanent magnet motors which include Model 3 and Raven Model S and X.

This one pedal driving does not work with older Model S and X (non-Raven) so, if you are concerned enough, you should get a Model 3 or Raven S and X.

Well it was on one pedal driving, and did not stop when foot taken off pedal. Comments like this is exactly why I did not bother posting when it happened. I am sure Tesla logs and monitors all activities, maybe that's why there was a SW update the same night.

Well it was on one pedal driving, and did not stop when foot taken off pedal. Comments like this is exactly why I did not bother posting when it happened. I am sure Tesla logs and monitors all activities, maybe that's why there was a SW update the same night.

If there was low traction, or high battery charge level, regen can turn off completely or be reduced, so lifting won't necessarily slow the car down.

It's not Tesla specific. EV pedal operation is not like ICE cars. There is one brand that would actually roll backwards if you lifted at a stop with a grade, or roll forward with Creep Off. Some owners had fender benders and thought the car caused it. But the brake pedal will always stop the car if you apply the necessary pressure.

Don't feel bad, everyone who has driven ICE cars first, then migrated to EVs has run into this. My kids don't know about it since they started driving with EVs and only recently have driven ICE cars. They complain about the ICE cars, that they don't act 'right'.

• Funny
Reactions: Robertj and wipster
I have been driving Tesla for over 3 years and this is my second Model S

DOH! Sorry, it's a common worry posted on the web for all EV brands. I've been on 'juice' since late 2012 and hate it when I need to drive a gasser. I often screw up with the pedals or think the car will slow down when I lift.

Also note that lots of people read threads to learn about their cars, so I tend to post general information for everybody reading. It sometime bugs long time readers, but there's always new people joining sites.

• Funny
Reactions: Robertj
<snip>
Don't feel bad, everyone who has driven ICE cars first, then migrated to EVs has run into this. My kids don't know about it since they started driving with EVs and only recently have driven ICE cars. They complain about the ICE cars, that they don't act 'right'.
Reminds me of the old dirt bike riding days when you rode your first 2 stroke after riding 4 strokes all your life. 4 Strokes always slowed down when you backed off the throttle because of compression braking; 2 strokes didn't slow down when you backed off so you had to use the brakes. It was really hard to get used to the difference between the two. This sounds similar.

I'm not sure I would rely on the Tesla logs (though it's not a bad place to start), because I assume it will only log what it thinks is going on based on input sensors. If the fault lies in the sensors or programming then you have a GIGO issue (garbage in, garbage out).

Anecdotally, my wife had a SUA incident in our S75D loaner because the turn signal stalk and cruise control/AP stalk are in the opposite position compared to our 2013 S85. She overrode the incident with the brake pedal but was unnerved because this was the first car she drove that engages CC/AP without an on/off toggle button...our S85 has a toggle button.

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
II take my foot of the accelerator as I approach the stop sign and the car keeps coasting and does not stop....

So far , what you describe is the daily experience during wintertime in Norway.

tesla fuc*d up the battery preheating, and added some awful BMS rules that prevent regen in <5°C average battery temperature... so no regen, inconsistent driving experience for the last HALF YEAR. - do they care to fix? - NO