Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sudden Unintended Acceleration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla is doing really well as of late! The stock price is also performing well. Unfortunately there are alot of people who do not want to see Tesla succeed. Many dislike Elon and his perceived arrogance. Expect alot of bogus trumped up problem/defect in the near future. It occurs in many industries.......not only automotive.

Most of the cases were reported in the media when they happened. Tesla checked every one of them, and in every single case they found (surprise, surprise) they owner hit the wrong pedal and was either too embarrassed, greedy, or confused to admit it. Now someone has just packaged all these prior complaints into one big package and sent it to NHTSA. There's a 0% chance there's anything more to this.

• Funny
Reactions: neezer
I don't recall a single Tesla ever having "unintended acceleration" that wasn't caused by foot on wrong pedal. One of the hackers here offers to check every time someone makes this claim - most decline and none have had actual SUA. Teslas check pedal position of both brake and accelerator from multiple sensors dozens of times per second and log it all. One single log showing this isn't just human error shouldn't be hard to find but so far none exist.

I also noticed when stopped at 0mph the screen on the dash showing a little acceleration or power being drawn.

Power meter shows lights heat and AC power used too. All power use shows up there not just acceleration.

Reactions: MP3Mike
Unintended acceleration is almost never the cars fault, but most people are too embarrassed to admit their mistake or think they didn't make a mistake even though they did.

There are two ways to encounter this in a Tesla (both primarily user error) that are potentially more noticeable than in some other cars. One is accidentally activating cruise control. The other is just because the pedals are somewhat closer together and easier to press than in some other cars.

Someone else also noted a related item of inconsistent driving experience that can be undesirable to some. This is sort of a user preference issue that would be nice if Tesla could introduce a new setting to address. In some cold weather conditions (or full battery), ability to regen is reduced. This could be handled a couple of ways, depending on whether you prefer consistent driving experience or consistent functional behavior. For consistent driving experience, Tesla would need to integrate in more automatic braking behavior to simulate the braking effect of regen when regen is not available. For consistent functional behavior, that's basically what we have now. Personally, I like the way it is now, but adding the capability and user preference to allow the other would be nice.

Last edited:
I've had something similar happen too, approaching a red light. Ended up half way into the crosswalk. Felt like the car accelerated before I slammed on the brakes. Scary AF.

But no, it wasn't SUA.

As I was approaching the red light, my car hit a pot hole with one wheel and the regen fully turned out. Imaging having your nearly 2 ton car going from "braking" with full regen to zero regen in a split second (probably feels sort of like SUA...), the car jolted forward. By the time I reacted and slammed the brakes I was half way into the pedestrian crosswalk.

I've also experienced this in both my Teslas, it **feels** like the car accelerates when ABS engages and regen suddenly deactivates at the same time.

I've had something similar happen too, approaching a red light. Ended up half way into the crosswalk. Felt like the car accelerated before I slammed on the brakes. Scary AF.

But no, it wasn't SUA.

As I was approaching the red light, my car hit a pot hole with one wheel and the regen fully turned out. Imaging having your nearly 2 ton car going from "braking" with full regen to zero regen in a split second (probably feels sort of like SUA...), the car jolted forward. By the time I reacted and slammed the brakes I was half way into the pedestrian crosswalk.

So far , what you describe is the daily experience during wintertime in Norway.

tesla fuc*d up the battery preheating, and added some awful BMS rules that prevent regen in <5°C average battery temperature... so no regen, inconsistent driving experience for the last HALF YEAR. - do they care to fix? - NO

I'm curious about this; it looks like you have the same vintage car I do a 2016 S. I have been driving in extreme cold this past week and I'm finding there is regen below 5 degrees. It's obviously quite a bit less then is available in the warm summer months but once the pack is warmed up the regen is working.

I don't have the most current software but I have an update from late Dec 2019.

Operator error. Malfunction between the ears.

I don't recall a single Tesla ever having "unintended acceleration" that wasn't caused by foot on wrong pedal. One of the hackers here offers to check every time someone makes this claim - most decline and none have had actual SUA. Teslas check pedal position of both brake and accelerator from multiple sensors dozens of times per second and log it all. One single log showing this isn't just human error shouldn't be hard to find but so far none exist.
Not only that but there are two sensors on the accelerator pedal, checked and cross-checked. If one goes out it throws a fault.

My comment here is following the OP title literally, and slightly ignoring the question of 'did driver press wrong pedal?'

My car (MS Raven) often accelerates suddenly and 'unintendedly' and without any direct control input from me.

I find it quite frustrating and potentially dangerous that when AP disengages (on the many occaisions that I intervene because the car is driving along the gutter or ignoring parked cars along side the roadway) it leaves TACC engaged at whatever the previous speed was. With AP, the speed could be set to say 50 mph but I've been following a car driving at 30 mph because the road is a little curvey or congested. The car in front then turns off leaving no car directly ahead to limit the speed of my car. TACC then makes a nice spirited burst of acceleration regardless of the road ahead. It has caught me out a few times so now I make sure to dab on the brake or disengage TACC fully whenever my steering input overrides / shuts off AP.

This one I cant remember exactly, but I expect others have seen it and will correct details. Another 'unintended acceleration' which also could be dangerous happens when you are holding your foot on the accelerator which overrides TACC / AP from controlling the current vehicle speed. So I have had the speed from the accelerator position be lower than set on TACC then lifting foot off accelerator has the car accelerate to the TACC set speed.

So really important to keep an eye on if you have TACC or AP on, as there are occaisions where if you forget they are set, they will have the car accelerate when that was not your 'intention'.