Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sudden windshield fog up. Is there a fix?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Mulkogi

#teamblue
May 11, 2021
WA
Is anyone suffering from this too? While using Auto setting the AC turns off randomly and the windshield fogs up really quick. Happened many times and its unsafe when it’s pouring rain at night on the highway. If i put on the defroster the AC turns off too. I have to try a couple times until it stays on. Is there a way to fix this issue?

Not only "High" but it also turns on the hot air (versus just the A/C cool air). This will usually clear it faster.

Also, not burying the defrost controls under sub-menus would be a huge help too.
Yep. I didn’t even realize there was “Double tap” setting until I’d heard something on the RTL podcast randomly.

Tesla’s UI people need to realize that if it’s not conspicuous and obvious most people won’t notice it.

While I‘m mostly fine with the console instead of a sea of buttons, there are a few things like this which are highly frustrating.

I think this should be reported to Tesla through the app. It happened to me once very quickly, probably in well under a minute. The window became very difficult to see through and thankfully turning on the front windshield defrost feature helped clear it back up. Something probably needs to be adjusted because this never happened in my Model S (if the window fogs up it happened over the span of several minutes or longer).

Spit and rub, right?
This actually happened to me over the past weekend in my MS. After driving for about 2 hours all of a sudden the windshield started fogging up on the highway at night. I had the fun task of trying to locate the climate control icon on the screen then finding the front windshield defroster icon and tapping it twice. All while doing 75 trying not to crash. Then as soon as it was defogged I turned it off since I don't need the "HI" setting blasting air the rest of the trip. As soon as I turned it off, the windshield fogged up again, so I repeated the process.
I don't understand why the only option to defrost the windshield is to have it on high. Every other car has the option have the windshield defrost set at numerous speeds so you can leave it on to do it's job without sounding like you're driving in a wind tunnel.

So if this happens on a humid summer night the only way is to turn on heat defrost on HIgh?
I put it on autopilot until i was able to defrost it the other day. I’ll have to make a service appointment, which in the Seattle area means 3 weeks later IF they don’t reschedule you because they order “needed parts” two days before the appointment.