Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Suddenly Auto-Tilt not working?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got the car washed this morning, and I noticed my driver's side mirror was no longer auto-tilting. I figured they might have accidentally changed my driver profile, so I set my mirror when in reverse, and hit Save under my profile. But then when I go into reverse, the driver side mirror twitches but won't go down to where I saved it. Passenger side works fine. At first I thought the mirror might be stuck or something, but it works fine if I adjust it manually. Any thoughts?

Tried a reboot, no change. Kept trying to reset the Driver Profile settings, no change. Got in the car later in the day, and it started pointing the driver's side mirror upwards when shifting back into park or drive. Dealt with that for a while and gave up. Came back later and it suddenly seems to be working normally. I have no explanation.

You program the side mirrors by adjusting them while the car is in reverse, then clicking on your driver ID on the main screen, then choose to save the changes.

Try that yet? Maybe you just mistakenly overwrote your old settings; if you adjust and program again, you may be fine.

Reactions: kort677
When you are driving forward, you want the sideview mirrors optimized to show traffic in your blindspots. When you are backing up, having the mirrors tilt down allows you to see parking spot lines and objects you may be about to hit (as well as the side of your car).

Maybe it's because I'm a short guy, but I can usually see all of that anyway.... I dunno.

You program the side mirrors by adjusting them while the car is in reverse, then clicking on your driver ID on the main screen, then choose to save the changes.

Try that yet? Maybe you just mistakenly overwrote your old settings; if you adjust and program again, you may be fine.

I found this recently after the update as well. Looks like Tesla allows you to "Save" the tilt position as part of your profile as well. You have to set to reverse, change the mirror angle to what you want, and then save it. When you go back to D, it automatically switches back to the default saved position. Its actually a nice implementation as I've always sort of wished Audi let me customize the tilt level on reverse and not have a default tilt, this way you can actually make it go a bit inwards and down as well to see more of the car with reference to the curb.

Good on tesla for having a unique feature improvement on this.

Yeah that is what I was trying the whole time but for some reason it was going insane. Either wouldn't go back to the saved settings when I reversed, or it started pointing at the sky when going back in drive. For some reason it later fixed itself though so chalk it up to gremlins I guess. But in general I really appreciate this feature, allows you to hug a curb when you are parking somewhere in which you'd like to have maximum space on your other side.

i have a similar issue on my P85 passenger mirror, it works as normal about 90% of the time, the other 10%, it just does nothing in reverse. i've asked service to look at it but they keep saying if they cant reproduce the issue, they wont look at it.

I never got the point of the tilting mirrors on any car. I mean, why would I want to look at the ground when I back up?? I always disable this feature on cars.

I tilt the mirror to look at the rear tires. Hard to curb the wheel that way, I can see how close I'm getting and the car doesn't have a bird's-eye view mode so this is the best I can manage when parking on a curb. The car is wide, I'd rather park closer rather than protruding.

Reactions: terranx and ahkahn