Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Suddenly better AP2 performance / faster maps on 2017.44?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Paging @verygreen.... Did a switch get flipped in the cloud?

I've had 2017.44 for a few weeks now, but yesterday I was noticing that after Thanksgiving there were a few behavior changes not tied to a firmware update:
(1) Lots more data upload after driving (we discussed this in the massive data uploads thread)
(2) Zooming in and out on the maps seems a lot more responsive and less prone to tile-by-tile redraw. Did vector maps get switched on?
(3) AP2 city performance seemed dramatically improved. I take the same route 2x per day in the city, and with 2017.44 I was counting a disengagement roughly every 1 in 5 intersections of travel. Primarily due to veering too close to a lane marker during a curve, or lateral movement in an intersection, or exit diving. I've now traveled this route twice with zero disengagements except being the first to hit a red light.

Autopilot performance changes are kind of subjective, but I'm pretty confident I'm not imagining it (tm). Curious if anything changed, like vector maps getting enabled, more data collection ongoing, and/or ADAS map tiles in my area getting denser?

(2) Zooming in and out on the maps seems a lot more responsive and less prone to tile-by-tile redraw. Did vector maps get switched on?
I noticed this ever since enabling the vector tiles myself, and attributed it to having enabled vector tiles manually. Now I know it's remotely controllable too, so it's possible it is now more widely deployed.
I heard similar reports from others though.

(3) AP2 city performance seemed dramatically improved.
No idea about that. Probably very local to the area you use? I had no chance to use AP in the past week so don't have relevant experience either.

The mapping speed could just be from improved cellular service in the area you drive. I believe Tesla is using AT&T so it could be capacity was increased along your route?
Even with improved cellular service it doesn’t change how before changing zoom always results in a tile by tile page in. Now it’s actually smoothly and continuously scaling at times when it never used to do that. Before it would zoom a pixelated big tile and when you stop moving is when it would fill in details.

No idea about that. Probably very local to the area you use? I had no chance to use AP in the past week so don't have relevant experience either.

I would suspect it’s local to my area too. I guess tiles might have timestamps and I’m pretty much in Tesla’s backyard.

At any rate, it surprised me because I wasn’t expecting any performance changes without a firmware change, but I’m undeniably seeing an improvement in my local area.

I noticed this ever since enabling the vector tiles myself, and attributed it to having enabled vector tiles manually. Now I know it's remotely controllable too, so it's possible it is now more widely deployed.
I heard similar reports from others though.

How do we enable this on our own?

Even with improved cellular service it doesn’t change how before changing zoom always results in a tile by tile page in. Now it’s actually smoothly and continuously scaling at times when it never used to do that. Before it would zoom a pixelated big tile and when you stop moving is when it would fill in details.

This is really great news and thanks for sharing!! The grey tiles actually one of the things I highly dislike in the nav system.

You don't happen to have a video to show the rest of us lustering after this update? ;)

This is really great news and thanks for sharing!! The grey tiles actually one of the things I highly dislike in the nav system.

You don't happen to have a video to show the rest of us lustering after this update? ;)

Here's my attempt to turn this into a GIF:
ezgif.com-video-to-gif-2.gif

Again, if you totally pan or zoom to a level that you've never been to before, it will download 1 tile at a time. However, subsequently, you can pan and zoom to your heart's content and it looks this smooth.

Here's my attempt to turn this into a GIF:
View attachment 263587

Again, if you totally pan or zoom to a level that you've never been to before, it will download 1 tile at a time. However, subsequently, you can pan and zoom to your heart's content and it looks this smooth.

Oh wow... That's awesome... I need to see if my car has had that enabled... *RUNS downstairs*...

Jeff

Darn... No bueno on my car yet... Still redrawing by tiles...

Jeff

Aww, hopefully soon. "Oh wow" was my initial reaction too. It probably distracted me more than I'm willing to admit at that red light when I first discovered it.

Before it reminded me of the original iPhone's Safari, where it did a laughably bad job of just resizing the current tiles as if they were bitmaps, and then when you stop moving it goes into checkboard mode and downloads new tiles one by one.

Here, if you pan/zoom to a never-before-seen level, it'll do that once. But past that it is definitely live-rerendering the appropriate level of road detail as you're zooming.

Here, if you pan/zoom to a never-before-seen level, it'll do that once. But past that it is definitely live-rerendering the appropriate level of road detail as you're zooming.

Hm... Then maybe I do have vector maps turned on... I can move all over the place without tiling so long as it's loaded that data before, any new data comes in as tiles... Perhaps I'm not getting it... Ooops...

Jeff

Indeed this thread is well timed. New video.

Keep up the awesome video work, dude! Yeah, the results speak for themselves. The improvement we've seen from 2017.34 to this point is mind-blowing. Yeah there's no features, but in terms of doing things that they already advertise correctly, these updates (both firmware and whatever is done behind the scenes to the ADAS tiles) have been really noticeable.

Honestly, at this point, I do think it's at or above AP1's performance. There's a lot of my usual highway routes where I knew AP1 would frequently fail at 80mph, but AP2 nails confidently even if I push it to 85-88mph. I honestly think there's some amount of romanticizing AP1 and what it actually was/is capable of.