Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Suddenly lost 10 miles of range.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2020 stealth performance is now at 300 miles, down from 304 a few days ago 5700 miles on the car and I baby this battery. It's never been below 20%, never above 95%, never supercharged and is parked in a garage.

Showed 310 new, dropped to 309, then 314 when that new 320+ update hit, then 304 for a while and now 300.

Hoping it isn't real degradation as one of the reasons I felt comfortable buying the car was that the model S/X show very very low degradation numbers after 100k+ miles, infact I remember basically seeing less degradation reported on the model S after 100k+ of constant supercharging than we are seeing on the model 3 with under 10k miles.

Which wheels do you have? I have a 2020 stealth with almost same miles and mine shows 295 with 19inch wheels. Window sticker 304. So it's not too far off. With my 260Wh/mi constant, my nominal pack is around 76.5 kwh.

My 2020 stealth performance is now at 300 miles, down from 304 a few days ago 5700 miles on the car and I baby this battery. It's never been below 20%, never above 95%, never supercharged and is parked in a garage.

Showed 310 new, dropped to 309, then 314 when that new 320+ update hit, then 304 for a while and now 300.

Hoping it isn't real degradation as one of the reasons I felt comfortable buying the car was that the model S/X show very very low degradation numbers after 100k+ miles, infact I remember basically seeing less degradation reported on the model S after 100k+ of constant supercharging than we are seeing on the model 3 with under 10k miles.
S/X widely reported to lose 5% in first year. You are at 3%. Relax.

Did you ever see the range increase that came with firmware update 2019.5.15 f5def7e? After that update my 90% charge was 288-290 miles of range (previously 90% was 279-280 miles of range). But after another update (2019.32.12.2 58f3b76) my range went back down to 279-280 miles of range @ 90%.

I lost another 4 miles today. So in 4 days mo 90% went from 270 down to 256. Can’t find a logical explanation.

Wanted to update this post. Over the last 6 weeks, I have tried twice draining the battery below 5% and recharging back to 90% (back to back). This seemed to make little difference.

However, at the same time I have been much more consistent in charging to 90% and letting the car stay plugged in for as long as possible at this state, sometimes for up to 3 days. This method seems to have made the greatest change in the displayed rang of the battery. As of today my 90% is at 269 miles. It does indeed seem that at times, the battery needs to be rebalanced.

Having the car idle at 90% charge for extended periods at a time, and doing this as much as possible over the course of several weeks seems to have rebalanced the bricks and now the car, for me at least, is back to my normal 90% charge rated range.

Hope this helps others.

Reactions: Rocky_H and KenC
Over the last several weeks, aside from my 6 day road trip, I've kept my 3 plugged in and at 90%. I have never gotten more than 266 miles indicated.

A few days ago, I got the 24.6.9 update, and my next 90% charge hit 270. The next 90% charge-up after that was back at 266.

I saw a similar behavior at one point, don’t think it was after an update. But it was just after this where the numbers began to climb and stay there. Could be coincidence, I can’t be sure. I think letting the car sit for several days consecutively is an important step to do when possible.

Aug 2018 build M3LR, now at 19,100 miles. Mine started out strong & stayed at 310-311 miles range all the way out to about 12,000 miles. From 12,000 to abt 16,000 miles it steadily lost range to about 293-294. From 16K - 19K it has crept back up to 301-302. No explanation. Consistent (slow) charging. I did let it sit for a week at 50 % SOC & then for 3 days straight undriven at 95% SOC. No attempt to correlate range with SW version.

I have a Sep 2018 P3D that I drive pretty hard at times 50k miles just ticked over.

I had seen as low as 257 miles on 90% charge, today it charged to 270mi for the 3rd day in a row. Since I started with 310 miles of range this indicates a loss of just 10 miles, or about 6-7% over 2 years and 50k miles. Much of the degradation came in year 1 just like everyone said it would. I am right on track for my 1% of degradation per year after the first 5%.

I have gone on track with Tesla Corsa, taken 10k miles worth of road trips with a total of about 60 Supercharge sessions. I'm not super nice to my battery, and its doing great.

I saw this in another post here, about balancing the cell bricks to each other. I'll try keeping the car plugged in with a charge limit at 90% for a couple weeks straight and see if that helps.

Copied text:

Incorrect-- brick balancing occurs independent of the car being plugged in. It occurs based on SOC above ~85%. Here's the section from the Model 3 Service Manual with the key sentence in bold:

Brick Balancing

Note that the capacity of a pack is limited by the brick with the lowest capacity. When that brick is charging, it will gain voltage faster than other bricks. The HVBMS will stop charge when any brick reaches its ceiling voltage (~4.2V). If one brick has a significantly lower capacity that others, the pack will be limited by that brick which will get to 4.2V faster than the other ones. We refer to the brick with the lowest capacity as: min CAC. In periscope, its value can be seen by viewing the signal: 'BMS_cacMin'
Another limitation could come from bricks being imbalanced, or some bricks with a voltage higher/lower than others. This would limit ability to charge the pack as the brick with a higher voltage than others would reach the ceiling voltage early. Same idea when discharging, the brick with the lowest voltage would hit the floor voltage early which would cause the HVBMS to open contactors from low power

To mitigate this imbalance, Batman has some bleed resistor that can be placed and removed in parallel of each brick via a FET relay. Batman can put that resistor across the brick with the highest voltage which would slightly discharge that brick and bring it back to the level of the other bricks. Batman closes a FET which puts that resistor across the brick. The HVBMS will order Batman to put that bleed resistor across the brick with the highest voltage when Delta V is > 5mv MinBrickV > 4.0v (~85% SOC) && HVBMS State == STAND BY.

Note that Batman can also do balancing when the HVBMS is asleep.

The best way to balance the Model 3 pack is to set charge limit to 90% or higher and let the vehicle sit idle for hours (plugged in or not). 24 hours of balancing can reduce imbalance by 1mV.

Your post might explain the range "issues" I've been experiencing with my SR+. I seem to have "lost" ~5% of capacity (225-227 displayed range) back in November of last year, and have "lost" another ~5% (215-217 displayed range) this month.

My driving and charging habits have me driving the car 70-80 miles a day, and only charging the car at work, so most of the car's life is spent sitting at my home, with less than 60% of the battery capacity left. It almost never gets to sit at or above 90% capacity, and I actually only charged it to 80-85% capacity for the first 6 months of ownership.

I'm going to start charging it past 90% at work so it idles there for 5-6 hours, and make use of the local supercharger to top it off when I get home. I'll do this for a week or two, and see if this will help out with brick balancing. I wish I had tried this out when I had 2000 free miles of supercharging left...

Your post might explain the range "issues" I've been experiencing with my SR+. I seem to have "lost" ~5% of capacity (225-227 displayed range) back in November of last year, and have "lost" another ~5% (215-217 displayed range) this month.

My driving and charging habits have me driving the car 70-80 miles a day, and only charging the car at work, so most of the car's life is spent sitting at my home, with less than 60% of the battery capacity left. It almost never gets to sit at or above 90% capacity, and I actually only charged it to 80-85% capacity for the first 6 months of ownership.

I'm going to start charging it past 90% at work so it idles there for 5-6 hours, and make use of the local supercharger to top it off when I get home. I'll do this for a week or two, and see if this will help out with brick balancing. I wish I had tried this out when I had 2000 free miles of supercharging left...

Just charge at home to 90%.

• Disagree
Reactions: Murky-Article
I generally don’t pay much attention to the rated range but just had a more sudden drop of 10 miles.

I see lots of people talk about increased loss over 1st year but I wonder if it’s more accurate to say it’s over the first 12,xxx mi of use? The reason is because I bought my 6/18 2018 LRWD (19”) @ 4K mi in 8/19 so it was a year old and I was getting 293/4mi @ 90% SoC.

The car is always plugged in and trickle charged to 90% and it sits for days at 90%. Over time rated miles slowly started to decline.
  • 4k mi @ 90% = 293mi
  • 7k mi @ 90% = 289mi
  • 8k mi @ 90% = 286mi
  • 10.5k mi @ 90% = 283mi
  • 11.5k mi @ 90% = 273mi
The last decline coincided w/ the avg ~12k mi done in the first year of driving so I wonder if that has to do with the bigger decline than I’m used to. It also coincided with 2020.24.6.9 update so it could be that.

While i was surprised to see the 10mi drop compared to previous smaller declines, my guess is the update corrected rated miles based on tire size like some have mentioned. With the 19”, I’ve always had quite a bit lower efficiency than others (287 wh/mi) and I think rated range now more accurately reflects that. My total range is now 303mi based on my new 90% rated range which sounds about right.

I still get sad every time I see the rated range decline but I know it doesn’t really mean much as Tesla is constantly adjusting the BMS, etc. so it’s far from a controlled experiment to measure the “real” decline.

Reactions: Gasaraki