Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Suddenly more interested in the S forums

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok so I joined TMC soon after reserving my Model 3 on 4/2/16. I would read all the threads about Model 3 and some about the Model S. I did not know the name Elon Musk 3 months ago. (living under a rock IK) All things Tesla were interesting but I would make my way to the Model 3 forum eventually. I can't believe it's only 3 months and I was fully intended on keeping my Yukon for 2 more years. I slowly took in more information about the Model S which I have longed for but did not want to spend for. :) Then the Yukon started making weird noises, A/C would come and go so I took it to be serviced and need a new condensor among other things. $1200! Then Elon goes and gives another,cheaper S option. Not fair. WTH, i'll take a test drive. Those who have done this know the rest of the story :) So, my 60D is on order :) and i have forgotten why I was waiting for the Model 3. Now I am all over the S forums and eagerly anticipating hopefully the best car I have ever owned! I still check on the 3 forums since I will not cancel my reservation and am interested in it's progress. But waiting for the Model 3 while driving a Model S will be soooooooo much more enjoyable! :)

I'm basically the opposite. I've been following Tesla since the Roadster was first announced and the infamous road map for what is now known as the Model 3 was written way back in 2006. Unfortunately at that time, my income was much lower than it is now, so even a $35k car at that time was more than I would have considered. Ten years later I'm in a better place.

I've got two Model 3 reservations now, and one will be "highly optioned", but if my workload picks up like it has been the past couple months, or something else comes up that puts me a little up the ladder, I might just consider flipping one of my reservations to a Model S.

I'm following your footsteps @Chopr147 although I've beening following Tesla/MS for about three years and it's been my "dream car" since then. I reserved two M3 but since the MS60 came back I've been heavily reading/researching the MS forums and have run the numbers many times to see how I can make it work to get an MS now instead of waiting for the M3. I'm hoping to order sometime in July so we will see if I can put my money where my mouth is!

Have you read this thread? It's hilarious

Reactions: ggnykk
The first time a saw a Model S was maybe 3 years ago parked in front of my dentists office. I was trying to figure out what kind of car it was. It was one rad looking car and I realized oh, this is the car I read about in Car & Driver recently. I REALLY wanted one but could not afford to spend over $100k and figured it was out of my league. FF 3 years later and I am now waiting for that RAD car and for well below 100k :)

Reactions: Anssi
OP, if you were reading the forums, you were fairly and thoroughly warned about the risks of taking a test drive.;)

As for waiting for the Model 3, you may never want to switch. I test drove the MS while waiting for the X. I am now on my second S, but no longer have aspirations for the X. I may get one for my wife sometime, but for me I'll be sticking with the S.:)

Reactions: Chopr147 and 808?
OP, if you were reading the forums, you were fairly and thoroughly warned about the risks of taking a test drive.;)
Oh boy. I wish I knew this :). I heard of Tesla but wasn't really paying attention. I saw one in mall show room but it felt out of reach. Never had a car over $40,000. When 3 was announced I ordered. Why not. My current lease on Camry expires in September so was trying to figure out what to lease while waiting for 3.

And then I test drove S. On a whim. Don't even say it. 60D is now on order. I'm amazed how common this story is. ;).

As for waiting for the Model 3, you may never want to switch. I test drove the MS while waiting for the X. I am now on my second S, but no longer have aspirations for the X. I may get one for my wife sometime, but for me I'll be sticking with the S.:)
I had read the forums and disregarded those people as weak minded :) I surely could test drive a car and not be dumb enough to immediately order one! Is there a dunce cap emodie?
As far as keeping the Model S: I suspect my wife will get the S and I will order the 3.

Having owned only Peugeots so far and having a good relationship with my local Peugeot dealer, it wasn't an easy choice to go for another brand.
In the end it boiled down to chosing between a fully loaded Peugeot hybrid and an S90D that costs twice as much.

Needless to say, the new Tesla is currently on its way from the factory to Tilburg, NL for final assembly. Still roughly a month away from delivery; I can hardly wait.
Even though I can easily afford to buy the Tesla, I never thought I'd spend that much money on a car.

Reactions: SmartElectric
I have my model S test drive in 10 days, just to get a feel for what Tesla is all about whilst I wait for my model 3.
I could just about get by financially with the 60D. I may well become another statistic of the "whilst waiting for this" club.
Start shopping your current car around so you can save time in 10 days when it's time to trade it in. ;-)

I have my model S test drive in 10 days, just to get a feel for what Tesla is all about whilst I wait for my model 3.
I could just about get by financially with the 60D. I may well become another statistic of the "whilst waiting for this" club.
Ahhhhhhh, another confident, cocky test driver thinks he can take the Tesla for a spin and wait 2 years for his Model 3 :)

Ahhhhhhh, another confident, cocky test driver thinks he can take the Tesla for a spin and wait 2 years for his Model 3 :)

Exactly. Do such people even exist? ;).

So, for us, weaker souls, what are you doing now with "extra" model 3 reservation? Waiting? Canceling? Will buy it no matter what?

I'm going to wait to 2nd reveal, but honestly don't see owning 2 Teslas any time soon. Wife already said to not even think about it! :)

Ok so I joined TMC soon after reserving my Model 3 on 4/2/16. I would read all the threads about Model 3 and some about the Model S. I did not know the name Elon Musk 3 months ago. (living under a rock IK) All things Tesla were interesting but I would make my way to the Model 3 forum eventually. I can't believe it's only 3 months and I was fully intended on keeping my Yukon for 2 more years. I slowly took in more information about the Model S which I have longed for but did not want to spend for. :) Then the Yukon started making weird noises, A/C would come and go so I took it to be serviced and need a new condensor among other things. $1200! Then Elon goes and gives another,cheaper S option. Not fair. WTH, i'll take a test drive. Those who have done this know the rest of the story :) So, my 60D is on order :) and i have forgotten why I was waiting for the Model 3. Now I am all over the S forums and eagerly anticipating hopefully the best car I have ever owned! I still check on the 3 forums since I will not cancel my reservation and am interested in it's progress. But waiting for the Model 3 while driving a Model S will be soooooooo much more enjoyable! :)
You made a common fatal mistake. You took a test drive.

Oh boy. I wish I knew this :). I heard of Tesla but wasn't really paying attention. I saw one in mall show room but it felt out of reach. Never had a car over $40,000. When 3 was announced I ordered. Why not. My current lease on Camry expires in September so was trying to figure out what to lease while waiting for 3.

And then I test drove S. On a whim. Don't even say it. 60D is now on order. I'm amazed how common this story is. ;).

Happens a lot, heheh. In my case, I stopped in the mall showroom to just ask a quick question. Something about the meaning of the model numbers. Tesla person asked if I had driven one and would I like to. Looked at wife and said wanna go for a ride? Well, now I am 7 months in to a 90D. I was driving a Honda Fit before. Quite a flip!

My wife said that in all her years driving (we're both 63), it was the first car she ever really WANTED. You have been warned!

I kept the Fit btw, because in all of its greatness, the Model S cannot be towed behind my motorhome <sigh>

You got a better deal than you know. By the time the 3 is actually available, the $7500 fed credit will have phased out. Anyone who placed a deposit counting on being able to use that credit is in for a big disappointment. Plus there's no way that it isn't going to increase in cost by the time it actually ships. I bet it's $40K for the bottom of the barrel configuration.

• Disagree
Reactions: TaoJones
You got a better deal than you know. By the time the 3 is actually available, the $7500 fed credit will have phased out. Anyone who placed a deposit counting on being able to use that credit is in for a big disappointment. Plus there's no way that it isn't going to increase in cost by the time it actually ships. I bet it's $40K for the bottom of the barrel configuration.

I'll take both of those bets for a dollar, sparky.