Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Suddenly speed up after disable autonomous driving

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not true, and I tried it this morning in my wife's Model 3 to make sure. If you push up on the gear stalk (when in D) but don't hold it long enough, you'll see an alert message saying you have to hold it up for 1+ seconds to engage neutral. If you do hold the stalk up long enough, you won't see the alert and it will shift in neutral.
🤷‍♂️and why is this a problem? Are you in the habit of pushing the stalk up and holding it? (and if so, why?) I routinely tap the stalk up to cancel FSD or cruise and have never had an issue going into neutral or even having the car ask/warn me about it.

Correct. And if you are driving slow enough, you can put the car in reverse without stopping (usually).
Which is exactly what you want since there are times (parking lots, for instance) when you're driving slowly and want to quickly reverse.

Both of these behaviors are almost exactly like my Audi A4 that had electronic transmission. It had a shifter on the center console and you pulled it down to go into drive up one notch to go into neutral and all the way up to go into reverse. If you bumped it while driving it would confirm before going into neutral and would not let you go into reverse if you were going over 5 MPH.

🤷‍♂️and why is this a problem? Are you in the habit of pushing the stalk up and holding it? (and if so, why?) I routinely tap the stalk up to cancel FSD or cruise and have never had an issue going into neutral or even having the car ask/warn me about it.
Not a problem, just a correction to the post that I replied to. I prefer to cancel AP by tapping the brake, but that's personal preference. I do the same in my Model S, even though it has a dedicated AP stalk, which is easier to use than the gearshift in my opinion.

Reactions: sleepydoc
Others do, as shown by a number of posts on this very forum where people accidentally put it in Neutral. But I guess your familiarity with an objectively bad stalk design makes it OK, whereas the yoke (and its objectively better button-activated AP) is an abomination that must be railed at daily 🤪

Others do, as shown by a number of posts on this very forum where people accidentally put it in Neutral. But I guess your familiarity with an objectively bad stalk design makes it OK, whereas the yoke (and its objectively better button-activated AP) is an abomination that must be railed at daily 🤪
The stalk is a problem but the yoke isn't... that's rich! I've seen 0 posts of people accidentally shifting into neutral so I did a search and found one. (and even that person didn't really seem to consider it an issue.) Hardly a pervasive problem, especially considering cars we're talking about. The yoke on the other hand is relatively new with relatively few being used and has many people that are experts (automotive reviewers that drive cars for a living, people specializing in interface design, etc) who have pointed out multiple flaws in the design. So yeah, if you wan to continue to try and complain about the stalk while defending the yoke, go ahead. You're in pretty lonely company, though.