Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Suffered medical emergency while driving

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On the model 3 it’s not the motors that “lock up” in hold mode. It’s the brakes that are actuated by the master cylinder. When my car comes to a stop with hold mode, I can visually see the brake pedal move inward and when I touch the gas it releases. The same operation could be implements on older model S/X easily since the master cylinders all have automation built in for emergency braking/autopilot

You need the PMSR motor to be able to regen down to 0 MPH where the brakes can then be actuated. Pre-Raven Model S/X does not have the PMSR motor, they use induction motors only.

The AP equipped cars I believe have a "hill" mode where if you press hard at a stop it will hold till you apply throttle.

Yes there is a hardware different 3s are permanent magnet motors, the Ravens have those in front but an AC Induction motor in back and the older ones are all AC Induction, and those do not provide any Regen or resistance at very low speeds.

My 3 has induction front motor and magnet rear.

• Informative
Reactions: SSedan
I believe the 3 uses the regen to bring the speed to 0 before applying the brakes.
Both TACC and Hold mode use a combination of regen braking and friction braking to slow and/or stop the car. The brake pedal can be physically observed to move when the car is automagically slowed (don't stare it it; keep your eyes on the road. Instead, hook your left foot's toe under the pedal's footpad and feel it pull your foot down when it actuates). The brake pedal is physically connected to the friction brakes: if it's moving, the calipers are squeezing. Hold will start actuating the friction brakes late in the process (but it will engage them, and well before your speed is zero), while TACC tends to engage the friction brakes rather earlier.