Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Suggest new name for the Autopilot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Let's look at precedent:

A few years ago, automobile (or is that ottomobile?) manufacturers came out with this thing called an Automatic Gearbox.

Inevitably, little old ladies sometimes got confused between Reverse and Drive and ended up driving into nail salons.

So all we need to do is look at the press outrage around that time and see what they suggested that the "Automatic Gearbox" should be renamed to!

Off to the Googles...

Let's look at precedent:

A few years ago, automobile (or is that ottomobile?) manufacturers came out with this thing called an Automatic Gearbox.

Inevitably, little old ladies sometimes got confused between Reverse and Drive and ended up driving into nail salons.

So all we need to do is look at the press outrage around that time and see what they suggested that the "Automatic Gearbox" should be renamed to!

Off to the Googles...

Other examples:

"Keyless start" - well guess what you do need the car to start after all, just not turning a mechanical lock around.

"Automatic windows" - contrary to common belief at the time they were introduced (or not?) they don't roll up and down by their own decision, you have to in fact press a button, just not cranking a lever.

I could go on, and I will for a little bit:

"Automatic parking": it does not find it's own parking space not does it make the decision to park there (this goes for current Tesla's as well as for example VWs).

• Helpful
Reactions: mikevbf
Off to the Googles?

The Search Engine or the Self drive development system?

Given the news reports it would appear that google self drive has a little old lady mode.

Come on now. Why on earth would anyone want to go faster than 25 mph in an autonomous weird-bubble-mobile? I mean you're free to do what ever you want while the car drives itself, what's another half hour crammed in the back seat of that thing?

• Funny
Reactions: malcolm
Off to the Googles?

The Search Engine or the Self drive development system?

Given the news reports it would appear that google self drive has a little old lady mode.

The search engine - to go look for all of the outraged journalists and politicians that were complaining about the term "automatic gearbox". So far no hits, but I'm still optimistic.

I think they'll pushback and stick to Autopilot unless they're forced to change in certain jurisdictions. Hey it's what GM called it 50 years ago in movies about future automated highways.

If forced to change in Germany I do kinda like Otto Pilot :)