TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Suggested EV Apps

Discussion in 'Model S' started by DewyCheatem&Howe, Apr 27, 2018.

1. DewyCheatem&Howe

Learning curve for this newbie is steep. Sometimes bewildered, many options…

Appreciate knowing recommended EV charging cards & companies. Ready to download apps for June 2018 S100D delivery in San Francisco. THANX up front …

2. Brettski

Brettski Supporting Member

I can't help with this, but I couldn't pass the chance to say your profile name gave me a good laugh!!!!

3. battleroyale

battleroyale Member

ChargePoint has the largest network of stations and has a mobile app with tap to charge option.

4. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

Paging Dr Howard, Dr Fine, Dr Howard... okay, back on topic... I have all of these below but I've not used them yet, and don't know if they are needed with the expansion of the Supercharger network. However, for the expenditure of $20 or so, you can set yourself up in all of them, and then pay nothing monthly and be ready in case you ever want to use one of them somewhere across the country:

Blink Needs CC
    Chargepoint Needs CC
    EV Connect
    EVgo Needs CC $4.95
    Greenlots Needs CC $5
    Semaconnect Needs CC $10

5. Gwgan

Gwgan Almost a wagon

You are getting an S, with free supercharging I hope, and live in the land of Superchargers. What more do you need?

6. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

It's all about insurance and where you drive. I would look at the Supercharger map and then Plugshare to see where you are going to drive and whether the Superchargers cover where you are going to be.

I can think of a lot of parts of North America where SuC's don't do the trick. But a lot of it, they do.

7. ewoodrick

ewoodrick Well-Known Member

It all depends on where you live and go. Look at some of the apps such as PlugShare and see what the chargers in the areas that you want to travel are. Also, some of the companies support non-members with just a credit card.
    It all depends....

8. appleguru

appleguru Member

PlugShare is a must have. I have a chargepoint account (which I use daily), as well as an evgo and blink account.

I've never used evgo (they have evgo at the local malls, but the level 2 charging is free/doesn't need the app, and I don't have the chademo adapter). I have used blink exactly once when I signed up (to try the chargers at Ikea, which were terrible).

So... charge point and plug share + superchargers are all you really need IMO ;-)

9. Lucky_Man

Lucky_Man Supporting Member

There is a large void of SuC in north central Washington State. We used this one at the Pine Near campground in Winthrop WA on a trip thru Washington State and Oregon. It offered more kW and better food/drink options than the Tesla destination charger at Sun Mountain Lodge.

Pine Near RV Park & Campground ~ Tipis, Mining Shack Cabins, Cottages, Houses, Laundry

These are provided by North Central Washington Economic Development District.

Plug-In NCW – Winthrop, WA EV Charging Station

The campground is a 2 block walk to good food and craft brews! The campground attendant is SO nice. She even offered to watch our dogs while we walked into town.
    IMG_20170906_141521570[1].jpg

10. DewyCheatem&Howe

Wish I was that clever but it's a tribute to a Three Stooges (Larry, Moe and Curly) movie.

11. appleguru

appleguru Member

Makes me think of car talk :)

12. Lucky_Man

Lucky_Man Supporting Member

Ah, yes. The Tappet Brothers!