Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Suggested self driving "nudge mode"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There should be a middle ground between FSD and manual steering. I'll call it 'Nudge Mode". In this mode, you steer and drive just like manual driving, but the car is ever so slightly trying to keep you in lane. If you steer out of your lane, the car doesn't fight you, it just exerts a tiny amount of drag to hold the lane. You can easily overcome this force and steer where you like, and there is no alarm or mode change when you overrule auto-steering. The lane retention force is small enough to be not (or maybe barely) noticeable, but if you do nothing the car stays in lane.

Reactions: Microterf
There should be a middle ground between FSD and manual steering. I'll call it 'Nudge Mode". In this mode, you steer and drive just like manual driving, but the car is ever so slightly trying to keep you in lane. If you steer out of your lane, the car doesn't fight you, it just exerts a tiny amount of drag to hold the lane. You can easily overcome this force and steer where you like, and there is no alarm or mode change when you overrule auto-steering. The lane retention force is small enough to be not (or maybe barely) noticeable, but if you do nothing the car stays in lane.
I'm making the assumption that you are talking about hi-way driving and you want to change to an adjacent lane but have autopilot stay engaged or re-engage automatically? If you have FSD, why not just use the turn signal and let the car do it for you? If say there is some debris on the road and you're swerving to miss it, then what you're saying makes more sense, but I think in any L2 system, you have to have pretty good line of when it is engaged and when it is not, otherwise it would get confusing and potentially more dangerous.

Reactions: Enginerd
I think that's the way OpenPilot and Super Cruise work. I haven't actually tried them though.
Most other LKA systems work this way. They have a very light hold on the wheel, and you can manually steer through the assist. But the downside is that they Inspire no confidence. Some curves on the freeway are
Too much for the systems to handle themselves and you have to essentially nudge it in to the curve or risk blowing through other lanes.

Tesla’s system has a firm grip on the wheel, and will steer through just about any curve you throw at it.

I disagree with turning autopilot into a crappy lane keep assist that you would find on a Honda or Toyota

Reactions: FalconFour
Most other LKA systems work this way. They have a very light hold on the wheel, and you can manually steer through the assist. But the downside is that they Inspire no confidence. Some curves on the freeway are
Too much for the systems to handle themselves and you have to essentially nudge it in to the curve or risk blowing through other lanes.

Tesla’s system has a firm grip on the wheel, and will steer through just about any curve you throw at it.

I disagree with turning autopilot into a crappy lane keep assist that you would find on a Honda or Toyota
I'm not talking about most lane keep assist systems, I've used those. OpenPilot and Super Cruise are both hands-free and will hold the lane while also allowing manual control.