Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Suggested Stolen/Disabled Tesla Tracking Feature

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Several threads have appeared on TMC regarding stolen or highjacked vehicle situations involving a Tesla Model S. Here's a possible solution that could be implemented with current or soon-to-come technology. It would also be useful in accident and disabled vehicle situations.

In August 2014, the FCC issued an order that will require all wireless carriers to deliver 911 text messages to 911 call centers that request them. Wireless carriers must comply with this order by June 30, 2015. The 911 call centers will still have the option to accept or not accept 911 text messages, but it seems likely that most will, as consumers become familiar with it. What You Need to Know About Text-to-911 | FCC.gov

This technology could allow someone in a Model S to contact 911 from the Tesla app, offering the following benefits:

• The 911 text message sent by the Tesla app could include the following:

Type of Report (stolen vehicle, disabled vehicle, accident, etc)
Vehicle Information (plate number, make, model color—stored within the app)
Smartphone Location (Goole Maps link)
Vehicle Location (a link to a real time tracking map like the one already in the Tesla app)

• The 911 call center would likely confirm the incoming text message by calling or texting the smartphone from which it originated.

• After confirmation, the 911 call center could pass this data along to police/emergency responders in the area. Police cruisers with live Internet capability would be able to use the Vehicle Location link to track the vehicle. If not, the 911 call center could relay location information to them.

• This tracking capability would also be useful in accident and disabled vehicle situations where the driver is in unfamiliar territory and doesn't know where they are located.

Perhaps other owners can add suggestions to this. It seems doable.

Last edited:
I am a big fan of OnStar. It seems to me that Tesla already has the technology in the car to implement OnStar-like features including vehicle locating and remote slow down and stopping of the car at the request of police. It could be as simple as calling the Tesla 800-number and reporting a stolen vehicle. Tesla could, like OnStar, then begin the process to coordinate with local authorities. I would even be willing to pay a subscription for a service like this.

I am a big fan of OnStar. It seems to me that Tesla already has the technology in the car to implement OnStar-like features including vehicle locating and remote slow down and stopping of the car at the request of police. It could be as simple as calling the Tesla 800-number and reporting a stolen vehicle. Tesla could, like OnStar, then begin the process to coordinate with local authorities. I would even be willing to pay a subscription for a service like this.

I agree, perhaps Tesla could act as a go-between with a service like this. That would resolve the issue as to whether the local 911 call center accepts text messages or not. On the other hand, direct communication between the driver and 911 would have some advantages.

A little bit too much big brother.

I'd prefer to have the controls in the owners hands, in the App. Don't involve the whole circus of players.

Just add one more feature on the controls page, "Stop". It turns off cruise, disconnects the accelerator pedal, and when the car comes to rest, puts on e-brake, and turns on hazard lights and opens the door handles. For Tesla fun points, display user-supplied text on the center console, "This car will self destruct in 10 minutes."

Keep the car "always on" GPS and Internet while driving. Take the button away from the dash to disable it or hide/password protect turning it off.

It would be important to have a secondary password to control this GPS/Internet shut-off feature and it's local in the car, because we have to assume the crook guessed your MyTesla password and that's why they're driving your car.

Simple.

You can see where the car is. You can choose when to hit the Stop button. Like at a stoplight. No hazard created. Go there and collect your car. And oh ya, don't forget to change your MyTesla password!

Last edited:
+1...OnStar is one of the few things GM got right...it always irked me that we switched from GM to Lexus, that Lexus would not upgrade their service to "OnStar type quality"...with the app, I'd think that Tesla could offer (at a cost) optional "OnStar types services for those who desire them...

Keep the car "always on" GPS and Internet while driving. Take the button away from the dash to disable it or hide/password protect turning it off.

I agree with this. It always bugs me when Service turns off Remote Access when the car is in the shop. Sure, I get they don't want us flashing lights and honking horns etc. so separate the remote control functions from the geolocation functions.

Tesla was supposed to come out with a "Valet Mode" that I would have thought would include the ability to "lock" these controls.

You can see where the car is. You can choose when to hit the Stop button. Like at a stoplight. No hazard created. Go there and collect your car. And oh ya, don't forget to change your MyTesla password!

My understanding is that this is against some laws or regulations. I asked someone at OnStar about this once and they said that it could only be done under police authority. The concern would be people playing "practical jokes" on spouses/friends and creating traffic hazards, or someone taking the law into their own hands and getting shot when they go to collect their car.