Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Suggested string layout for my install?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Total newbie. Ordered Tesla Solar Panel + 2 PW, hopefully going through the final redesign before submitting for permit

Western Burb of Chicago, just about EAST-WEST aligned roof. Due to local rules, inverter are size limited (cant get larger) so I'm stuck with a Tesla 7.6+3.8 for a total of 6 strings possible.

Front of house face east and back face west. For looks and to better match generation to use I'm opting to put most of my panels WEST (although PVwatts say I get "slightly" better output on the east side) Attached is my proposal back to Tesla, they had most of the panel facing east, and not enough setback for local code anyway. Total 46 panels for 15.64, which max out the 7.6+3.8= 11.4kw X 1.4x max DC/AC oversize = 15.96kw for Tesla inverter. I'm currently on flat rate net metering 1:1 credit, TOU is being piloted but not fully rolled out, so I can see if it will be financially attractive to switch to TOU in the future with mostly west facing panels

What do you guys think will be the best String configuration? Will I be able to talk to the install crew to wired them up the way I want?

I'm thinking to split both inverters' strings for both east and west, to best minimize clipping.
ie if the 3.8 take 15 panels in 2 strings facing west it would be 5.1w clipped to 3.8kw MOST of the afternoon
(the 3.8 can only take max 15 panels anyway so at least 1 inverter HAS to do a east west split anyhow)

Idea 1 2 string east, 4 string west,
String 1 East - 9 Panels - East 3.06kw
S2W-7P
S3W-7P
S4W-8P - Subtotal west 7.48kw

S1E-7P - 2.38
S2W-8W -2.72

Idea 2 3 east, 3 west
S1E-5
S2E-5 - East 3.4
S3W-10
S4W-11 - West 7.14

S1E-6 2.04
S2W-9 3.06

I'm thinking Idea 2 would be better as the 7.6 has a smaller west facing loading.

If you guys have other ideas/proposal, I'm all ears. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• roof46p.jpg
    roof46p.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 91
i never heard , you can pick and choose the number of panels with tesla. I thought they come with fixed packages of panels and inverters 4/8/12
So u should have 48 panels. Please educate me
I picked a size, then customized with the designer.

They pretty much have to do limited customization.... If the customer order 16kw xl but their roof can only fit 15.5kw would it make sense to install 12kw large and lose out on $7k in revenue or just install 1 less panel? Roof aren't cookie cutter after all

I picked a size, then customized with the designer.

They pretty much have to do limited customization.... If the customer order 16kw xl but their roof can only fit 15.5kw would it make sense to install 12kw large and lose out on $7k in revenue or just install 1 less panel? Roof aren't cookie cutter after all
So i am guessing, removing a panel or 2 is allowed. Customer will get not discount for those removed paneles
Adding 1/2 panels is not allowed ?

Please advise ?
I have another install i need , with limited roof size.

So i am guessing, removing a panel or 2 is allowed. Customer will get not discount for those removed paneles
Adding 1/2 panels is not allowed ?

Please advise ?
I have another install i need , with limited roof size.
I think it work either way, pricing will update accordingly to what was added or removed about $2.01 per watt DC before rebates/credit.