Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Suggested Supercharger locations, Melbourne only.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The latest update from Tesla has asked for Melbourne Supercharger locations. I can think of 2 areas:
Airport - always useful, not all owners live in Melbourne but do use the airport
Central - I have a personal interest in this location as I live around the corner, however Kings Way Officeworks carpark is close to all freeway access (CityLink ramp within 1km) and on a bust main arterial road passed by tens of thousands every day. It also has big BMW and Mercedes dealers in the same road so is a 'prestige vehicle' street, it would be good to have a reminder that Tesla are around in that area. I don't know if Officeworks are even interested but it looks like a good spot.

The latest update from Tesla has asked for Melbourne Supercharger locations. I can think of 2 areas:
Airport - always useful, not all owners live in Melbourne but do use the airport
Central - I have a personal interest in this location as I live around the corner, however Kings Way Officeworks carpark is close to all freeway access (CityLink ramp within 1km) and on a bust main arterial road passed by tens of thousands every day. It also has big BMW and Mercedes dealers in the same road so is a 'prestige vehicle' street, it would be good to have a reminder that Tesla are around in that area. I don't know if Officeworks are even interested but it looks like a good spot.

Somewhere adjacent to the Western Ring Road (Airport area) would be logical, because it would cater for many travellers passing through from the Hume, Western & Princes Highways.

The Office Works site in South Melbourne fits very well, being on Kingsway (a major arterial), however lacks 24/7 toilet & food facility in the neighbourhood.

There's no 24 hour toilets at the Kingsway location but there are lots of small cafes, many open late. There's a petrol station on the other side of Kingsway open 24/7 with toilets.

This is where local knowledge is invaluable to Tesla's Supercharger Program Manager, Evan Beaver. I don't have an awareness of the area, but, a SC somewhere East of the city, adjacent to the Monash & Eastern Freeways, would seem logical. Am only guessing - would you be somewhere near Hallam ? Could that also help in catering for Mornington Peninsular folk ?

This is where local knowledge is invaluable to Tesla's Supercharger Program Manager, Evan Beaver. I don't have an awareness of the area, but, a SC somewhere East of the city, adjacent to the Monash & Eastern Freeways, would seem logical. Am only guessing - would you be somewhere near Hallam ? Could that also help in catering for Mornington Peninsular folk ?
No, I'm in South Melbourne

Not sure about Melbourne (other than the Tesla service centre, seems to be in Clifton Hill?) but around the state I think Apollo Bay would be perfect for a charger, great for those doing the Great Ocean Road. With a Geelong SC servicing the Bellarine Peninsula and Torquay/Angelsea.

Of course Australia isn't anywhere near as populated as the USA but the GOR is the driving road in Australia, it makes sense to make the route supercharged and then Tesla can tell all new owners to go take a drive along it and try out the car.

110km from Geelong to Apollo Bay
186km from Melbourne to Apollo Bay (Via M1 & GOR)
160km from Apollo Bay to Warrnambool, traditional end of GOR drives.
[84km from Apollo Bay to 12 Apostles carpark (another potential location, given it is the major stop, no shops though, so perhaps a destination charger or two instead of a SC)]
194km from Warrnambool to Geelong (for an alternate shorter return route) via Princes Highway

So a SC at Apollo Bay and Warrnambool, with a Geelong SC as infill in a year or two later for Model III.

As an addendum a SC could be located in Mount Gambier, South Australia being 180km from Warrnambool. Although probably more as an infil site in 2 years rather than in immediate need of a SC.

That's what I was thinking. Maybe around Dandenong North? Near Monash & Eastlink freeways.

Dandenong North.jpg

Well I made a map with this website:
Superchargers

The priority locations are to link up with Canberra (and Sydney beyond) and Adelaide as well as a Great Ocean Road route.

For the Melb - Canberra (Syd) route there is Wangaratta (252km from Melb) which is 410km from Canberra. In the future a SC at Albury/Wodonga or Gundagai could be an infill site for the Model III.
For the Melb - Adelaide route there is Horsham (300km from Mel, 427km to Adel) and Bordertown (156km to Horsham, 271km to Adelaide) Bordertown could probably be delayed considering Horsham is roughly in the middle but pushing range limits to/from Adelaide.

So that is 3, possibly 4 superchargers (not including a city Melbourne, Canberra or Adelaide SC) plus a priority SC at Apollo Bay for a Great Ocean Road route within the first 6 months or a year, depending how quickly Tesla wants to establish those routes.

The priority list expanding outward from Melbourne:
Apollo Bay - Opens up the Great Ocean Road for Teslas, perfect for tourists/daytrips and services the coastal towns.
Bendigo - Destination and to service people in the area, expands range into central & northern Victoria
Wangaratta - Main SC location between Melbourne and Canberra/Sydney. Also on the way to the snowfields at Mt Buffalo & Falls Creek (137km), having it running by Skiseason 2015 would be a bonus.
Horsham - Main SC location between Melbourne and Adelaide. Opens up the west of the state for holidays, eg: Grampians.
Bordertown - SC location between Melbourne and Adelaide. Could possibly be an infill location later on depending on range anxiety.
Warrnambool - End of the Great Ocean Road, destination for holidays. Provides a shorter route to Geelong via Princes Highway once GOR has been driven. Gives access to west of state. (230km to Horsham, 265Km to Melbourne)
Mildura - North of the state, 401km from Bendigo, 396km from Adelaide, provides an interior route to Adelaide or southern NSW, destination for holidays.
Traralgon - Opens the east of the state throughout Gippsland
Lakes Entrance - Popular destination, coverage for East Gippsland and a step for a coastal Mel - Syd route in the future (300Km to Bega)
Ballarat - Destination for weekends, people living in the surrounding area and as an infill location for the Adelaide route.
Geelong - Throughfare location, services Torquay, Angelsea, Queenscliff and the Bellarine Peninsular.
Seymour - Infill location, services central Victoria and route to Canberra/Sydney.
Albury/Wodonga - Infill location, services Melbourne to Canberra/Sydney route.
Shepparton/Echuca - Infill location, hub for northern central Victoria but could be relocated to Echuca to fill in coverage gaps.
Mt. Gambier - Infill location, coastal route from Melbourne to Adelaide (180Km to Bordertown, 185Km to Warrnambool)
Ouyen - Infill location for route to Mildura. (300km to Bendigo, 100Km to Mildura, 376Km to Adelaide, 210Km to Horsham) not really needed, 2+ years.

Possible locations for Destination chargers (unmarked on map) 1 or 2 cars.

• Brighton Foreshore Reserve
  • Williamstown Foreshore
  • Falls Creek Alpine Village
  • Mt Bulla Alpine Village
  • Mt Baw Baw Alpine Village
  • Sorrento
  • Phillip Island/San Remo
  • Daylesford
  • Tidal River, Wilson's Promontory National Park
  • Marysville
  • Healesville Zoo/town centre
  • Olinda/Skyhigh Mt Dandenong
  • Torquay
  • Halls Gap, Grampians National Park

Map of Victoria and surrounds: [Edit: Realisticly green locations should be within Year 1, orange within year 2 and red year 2+, given Tesla will be building nationwide with majority of focus on NSW and Vic and probably surrounding Perth]
Wv0ckXY.jpg

Map of Victoria and surrounds with 100km radius of all locations (plus added locations in Adelaide, Canberra, Sydney, Ouyen (Vic), Golburn (NSW), Cambelltown (NSW), Bega (NSW)) and with the Shepparton SC moved to Echuca. Possibly how Victoria could look in 3+ years:
oF2ImNb.jpg

Last edited:
G'day Ixat, Seriously well done ! (Get a look at this one, Evan). A couple of potential tweeks ? Consider moving Murray Bridge to Tailem Bend, Bordertown to Keith ? Maybe a destination charger in Robe, SA ? I have previously suggested a destination charger at the Royal Mail Hotel, Dunkeld (Southern Grampians). Looking good !

Well I made a map with this website:
Superchargers

The priority list expanding outward from Melbourne:
Apollo Bay - Opens up the Great Ocean Road for Teslas, perfect for tourists/daytrips and services the coastal towns.
Bendigo - Destination and to service people in the area, expands range into central & northern Victoria
Wangaratta - Main SC location between Melbourne and Canberra/Sydney. Also on the way to the snowfields at Mt Buffalo & Falls Creek (137km), having it running by Skiseason 2015 would be a bonus.
Horsham - Main SC location between Melbourne and Adelaide. Opens up the west of the state for holidays, eg: Grampians.
Bordertown - SC location between Melbourne and Adelaide. Could possibly be an infill location later on depending on range anxiety.
Warrnambool - End of the Great Ocean Road, destination for holidays. Provides a shorter route to Geelong via Princes Highway once GOR has been driven. Gives access to west of state. (230km to Horsham, 265Km to Melbourne)
Mildura - North of the state, 401km from Bendigo, 396km from Adelaide, provides an interior route to Adelaide or southern NSW, destination for holidays.
Traralgon - Opens the east of the state throughout Gippsland
Lakes Entrance - Popular destination, coverage for East Gippsland and a step for a coastal Mel - Syd route in the future (300Km to Bega)
Ballarat - Destination for weekends, people living in the surrounding area and as an infill location for the Adelaide route.
Geelong - Throughfare location, services Torquay, Angelsea, Queenscliff and the Bellarine Peninsular.
Seymour - Infill location, services central Victoria and route to Canberra/Sydney.
Albury/Wodonga - Infill location, services Melbourne to Canberra/Sydney route.
Shepparton/Echuca - Infill location, hub for northern central Victoria but could be relocated to Echuca to fill in coverage gaps.
Mt. Gambier - Infill location, coastal route from Melbourne to Adelaide (180Km to Bordertown, 185Km to Warrnambool)
Ouyen - Infill location for route to Mildura. (300km to Bendigo, 100Km to Mildura, 376Km to Adelaide, 210Km to Horsham) not really needed, 2+ years.

Possible locations for Destination chargers (unmarked on map) 1 or 2 cars.

• Brighton Foreshore Reserve
  • Williamstown Foreshore
  • Falls Creek Alpine Village
  • Mt Bulla Alpine Village
  • Mt Baw Baw Alpine Village
  • Sorrento
  • Phillip Island/San Remo
  • Daylesford
  • Tidal River, Wilson's Promontory National Park
  • Marysville
  • Healesville Zoo/town centre
  • Olinda/Skyhigh Mt Dandenong
  • Torquay
  • Halls Gap, Grampians National Park

If the Supercharger went into Bright it could service both Falls Creek and Hotham as well as X country skiers on Buffalo. Reasonably close to Wangaratta if it goes there but an S60 would need something before Wangaratta going up and coming off the mountains

I think Wang is close enough for the ski fields, the 60Kw is ~322km range, sure, if it is cold and going up hill that'll lessen the range but Wangaratta to Falls Creek (furthest of the three resorts) is 137Km. I think a SC at Seymour would suit the Model IIIs in a few years, they should be able to make Melbourne to Wang no worries.

Hotham Village is at 1862m elevation, Falls Creek village 1600m while Wangaratta is 154m, so that is quite a climb for the car. A 274km round trip (to Falls) plus climbing should cover the ~322km range of a 60Kw battery as long as owners 'fill up' at Wang beforehand. Then again, if you're going to the snow you'll have a car full of skis, snowboards and luggage. Destination chargers at Falls Creek, Hotham and Mt Beauty might be cheaper for Tesla with a Bright SC added in a couple of years if there is demand.

Edit: Fair enough, I'll add it to my map for later on. VVV Probably just a 2 Stall charger though.

Last edited:
I think Wang is close enough for the ski fields, the 60Kw is ~322km range, sure, if it is cold and going up hill that'll lessen the range but Wangaratta to Falls Creek (furthest of the three resorts) is 137Km. I think a SC at Seymour would suit the Model IIIs in a few years, they should be able to make Melbourne to Wang no worries.

Hotham Village is at 1862m elevation, Falls Creek village 1600m while Wangaratta is 154m, so that is quite a climb for the car. A 274km round trip (to Falls) plus climbing should cover the ~322km range of a 60Kw battery as long as owners 'fill up' at Wang beforehand. Then again, if you're going to the snow you'll have a car full of skis, snowboards and luggage. Destination chargers at Falls Creek, Hotham and Mt Beauty might be cheaper for Tesla with a Bright SC added in a couple of years if there is demand.
Yes, that's why Bright would be a useful charging point. It means a trip to Falls creek via Tawonga Gap but it covers both major resorts with all that climbing - it'll be cold too so reduced battery efficiency

Okay I've edited the list:
Removed: Wangaratta (Vic), Eden (NSW), Lakes Entrance (Vic), Bordertown (SA), Shepparton (Vic), Echuca (Vic)
Added: Cann River (Vic), Gundagai (NSW), Keith (SA), Jindabyne (NSW), Tailem Bend (SA), Albury/Wodonga, Bateman's Bay (NSW)

The priority list, number of stalls is just a guess, higher number between capital cities:
Apollo Bay [4 Stalls] Opens up the Great Ocean Road for Teslas, perfect for tourists/daytrips and services the coastal towns.
Horsham [4 Stalls] Melbourne - Adelaide route. Opens up the west of the state for holidays, eg: Grampians. 202km to Tailem Bend (SA), 193km to Ballarat.
Keith, SA [2 Stalls] Melbourne - Adelaide route.. 202km from Horsham (Vic), 130km from Tailem Bend (SA), 219km to Mt Gambier (SA)
Tailem Bend, SA [2 Stalls] Melbourne - Adelaide route. 202km from Horsham, 96km from Adelaide.
Seymour, Vic [6 Stalls] Serves central Victoria Melbourne - Canberra/Sydney route. 217km to Bright, 219km to Albury/Wodonga, 112km to Melbourne.
Albury/Wodonga [6 Stalls] Melbourne - Canberra/Sydney route. 219km to Seymour, 178km to Gundagai.
Gundagai, NSW [6 Stalls] Melbourne - Canberra/Sydney route. Perfect spacing between Albury/Wodonga (178km) and Canberra (161km) & Golburn (181km)
Golburn, NSW [6 Stalls] Sydney - Canberra/Melbourne route. 196km to Sydney, 181km to Gundagai, 90km to Canberra, 257km to Jindabyne, 145km to Bateman's Bay.
Jindabyne, NSW [4 Stalls] Seasonal usage. Entrance to NSW skifields. 179km to Canberra, 193km to Cann River, 266km to Golburn, 257km to Albury/Wodonga via mountains.
Bright, Vic [4 Stalls] Seasonal usage. 217km from Seymour, 121km from Albury. Gateway to the skifields, big climbs to the alpine villages of Mt Hotham 1862m (55km), Falls Creek 1600m (61km), Mt Buffalo 1723m (13km) Will need this stop for loaded cars on skitrips. Open before 2015 ski season
Warrnambool, Vic [4 Stalls]
End of the Great Ocean Road. Provides a shorter route to Geelong (190km) via Princes Highway once GOR has been driven. Gives access to west of state. 230km to Horsham, 265km to Melbourne
Traralgon, Vic [4 Stalls] Opens the east of the state & Gippsland. 163km from Melbourne, 282km from Cann River
Cann River, Vic [2 Stalls]
Melbourne - Sydney/Canberra coastal route. 282km from Traralgon, 307km from Bateman's Bay, 289km from Canberra, 193km from Jindabyne.
Ballarat, Vic [2-4 Stalls] Melbourne - Adelaide route. 113km from Melbourne, 117km to Bendigo (Via Daylesford), 193km to Horsham, 174km to Warrnambool
Bateman's Bay [2 Stalls] Melbourne - Sydney/Canberra coastal route. Canberra 148km, Golburn 145km, Cann river 307km, Jindabyne 302km, [Wollongong 196km: no supercharger], Sydney 278km
Peterborough, SA [2 Stalls] 284km to Broken Hill, 261km to Adelaide, 131km to Port Augusta.
Bendigo, Vic [4 Stalls] Popular destination, expands range into central & northern Victoria. 302km to Ouyen, 153km to Melbourne, 215km to Horsham.
Geelong, Vic [4 Stalls]
Throughfare location, services Torquay, Angelsea, Queenscliff and the Bellarine Peninsular.
Mildura, Vic [2 Stalls] North of the state, 401km from Bendigo, 396km from Adelaide, provides an interior route to Adelaide or southern NSW, destination for holidays. 100km from Ouyen.
Ouyen, Vic [2 Stalls] Infill location for route to Mildura. 300km to Bendigo, 100km to Mildura, 376Km to Adelaide, 210km to Horsham
Mt. Gambier, SA [2 Stalls] Infill location, coastal route from Melbourne - Adelaide. 180km to Bordertown, 185km to Warrnambool
Hay, NSW [2 Stalls] Infill location, inland Adelaide - Canberra/Sydney route. 294km to Mildura, [267km Wagga Wagga] 349km to Gundagai
Broken Hill, NSW [2 Stalls] Infill location, no huge use/demand. 297km to Mildura, 284km to Peterborough.
MF6ZZ7X.jpg

Summary:
8 superchargers to connect Sydney, Canberra, Melbourne and Adelaide, not including chargers in each city. (+ Apollo Bay/Great Ocean Road SC)
8 superchargers to fill out map and connect more towns and cities, coverage for eastern Victoria, establishes coastal route from Melbourne to Canberra/Sydney & Alpine route from Albury/Wodonga to Jindabyne.
7 superchargers to infill locations on existing routes for Model III/60Kw battery cars. Opens up coverage to northern Vic. Broken Hill & Hay included but probably not needed for years.

5 additional SCs for Melbourne to Brisbane inland route. Opens up inland NSW. Gundagai -172km- Cowra -212km- Dubbo -278km- Narrabri -226km- Goondiwindi -223km- Toowomba -125km- Brisbane. [Note: Possibly add in Coonabarrabran between Dubbo and Narrabri to infill long segments. Added Katoomba, NSW too]

Being a Melbourne man I don't really know great spots between Brissy and Syd so I'll let someone else (Evan Beaver :p) work those out.

Last edited: