Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Suggested Supercharger Locations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was thinking that most of the time you spend in the queue you don't move, until the last minute when the ferry starts loading and on busy days you have to wait at least one ferry. So you'd have to change charging ports once in most cases.

The ferries that I am most familiar with are the ones going from Vancouver to Vancouver Island, Vancouver Island to Seattle, etc. Once you get to either side, there can be a long distance to drive (Vancouver Island is about the size of the U.K).

I added a couple of more comments to first post:
  • If someone else already placed a marker near your desired location please be sure to place another marker there. The high frequency marker locations (from different reservation holders) can be the biggest signal to an Ideal location. You can turn off other posting by clicking on the ledge on the footer of the map - then you should be able to place without the other marker interfering.
  • Try to be as specific as possible for the location - since this is a location you specifically would desire you should know what is in the area already. These markers are for trips you should be doing regularly.

I also want to emphasize that these markers should be placed judiciously. As though the money to fund these locations is coming out of your own pocket (it really is if you are a stockholder like me). This is why I said limit your picks. Placing in your reservation number or login id is a way to signify that its your suggestion. Anonymous and general locations may be helpful but they have less influence on determining the BEST locations. If you regularly travel these routes then you should know where the best locations should be.

I picked locations that I could use 2-6x a year. I picked locations based on range of 230Mile pack at the local speed limits that would be needed. I also tried to pick locations near major Interstate intersections so that others may benefit from the same location. I also placed markers at or near establishments I've previously stopped at.

I don't know what size pack I would order today but I do know that placement of Superchargers in places I travel would be a large factor in making me picking a larger pack.

I was thinking that most of the time you spend in the queue you don't move, until the last minute when the ferry starts loading and on busy days you have to wait at least one ferry. So you'd have to change charging ports once in most cases.
You mean that you think there should be charging available down the entire length of the queue? That might be doable, but at the moment it wouldn't be a good use of resources. After all, if there's 1% EVs, 99% of the charging points would have an ICE car in front of it. It would be better to provide charging points in a much more geographically dispersed area. (Also, I doubt you would be allowed to take up too much space with a proprietary Tesla solution. That's another obstacle.)

The ferries that I am most familiar with are the ones going from Vancouver to Vancouver Island, Vancouver Island to Seattle, etc. Once you get to either side, there can be a long distance to drive (Vancouver Island is about the size of the U.K).
If most people who go to Vancouver Island start their trip in Vancouver or Seattle, they won't need charging, as they will already have a full charge. I don't know if this is the case, but it is something one should assess before investing money into charging infrastructure that might be more worthwhile somehwere else.

Last edited:
The suggestion map would be even better if there was a way to for others to 'thumbs up' a suggested spot. Right now it's a collection of nominations, but that just tells us one person thought of that spot. If others could vote, we'd see which spots gather the most interest.

I assume the software can't do it, but if there is some way that would be pretty helpful.

You mean that you think there should be charging available down the entire length of the queue?

I don't really see any other practical way. You could save a bit by having the multi-lane staging area having just a few lanes with chargers. This would be similar to having lanes for over-height vehicles--something that is already being done so there shouldn't be any great logistics problem.

but at the moment it wouldn't be a good use of resources. (Generally speaking.) It would be better to provide charging points in a much more geographically dispersed area.

Agreed, unless the area you are in depends mostly on ferries to go from point A to point B.

If most people who go to Vancouver Island start their trip in Vancouver or Seattle, they won't need charging, as they will already have a full charge. I don't know if this is the case, but it is something one should assess before investing money into charging infrastructure that might be more worthwhile somehwere else.

Obviously, you wouldn't do something like this without studies to show viability.

The locations of the ferry docs on the mainland require a minimum of 30 miles travel for most people and up to 60 miles (that would encompass 90%) and it depends on which of the two docs you are using. Because of geography and land use limits, greater Vancouver is spread out lengthwise rather than being circular.

Coming from the Vancouver Island side the ferry docs are in Nanaimo and outside Victoria. The one in Victoria would require 10 to 20 miles of travel for most Victoria residents. The Nanaimo one would be shorter if you lived in Nanaimo. A lot of traffic goes past Nanaimo to the northern part of Vancouver Island.

Of course, you're right in that this wouldn't be a problem for an 85 kWh Tesla but if you had some other kind of EV, such as a Leaf, you might use half a charge or more getting to the ferry.

The suggestion map would be even better if there was a way to for others to 'thumbs up' a suggested spot. Right now it's a collection of nominations, but that just tells us one person thought of that spot. If others could vote, we'd see which spots gather the most interest.

I assume the software can't do it, but if there is some way that would be pretty helpful.

I was thinking of a limitation of how many stations a person can put to force them to only put the really important ones should go. Or many they can put don as many as the want but get to highlight one every ten placed. I do like the thumbs up idea as well.

A limitation is still good. If I were Tesla I would probably look for clustering. A single person could stack the deck by creating clusters on their own but a add-limitation would have others adding station nearby (and they should ) to create a cluster.

I was looking at the clustering provided by zeemaps - it isn't too specific to locations yet.

Here is a test of clustered feature on a clone of current map :
testmap TSC - please don't add to this map I will be replacing data in it later.

The problem with frequency or clustering so far is there is still not enough real data.
Some of the best clusters are showing in NH areas and Bakersfield CA right now. There we have multiple reservation holders placing their marks withing a few miles of each other.

Maybe GeorgeB will see this: Ideally, Tesla should ask each reservation holder 'If you could have one Supercharger anywhere, where exactly would you put it and why?' when they contact them to finalize their order. Obviously people may not pick the exact same address/location but if enough people picked something along the same highway route within 20 miles of each other for example, they could place one somewhere near there. Tesla should flat out say that asking is no guarantee that they can if ever place a charger at that location but that it is information for them to best determine the ideal location for the rollout of their network.

Maybe GeorgeB will see this: Ideally, Tesla should ask each reservation holder 'If you could have one Supercharger anywhere, where exactly would you put it and why?' when they contact them to finalize their order. Obviously people may not pick the exact same address/location but if enough people picked something along the same highway route within 20 miles of each other for example, they could place one somewhere near there. Tesla should flat out say that asking is no guarantee that they can if ever place a charger at that location but that it is information for them to best determine the ideal location for the rollout of their network.

That would be good. However, should be made separate from the order to avoid confusion of one with the other. ;)

..., Tesla should ask each reservation holder 'If you could have one Supercharger anywhere, where exactly would you put it and why?' when they contact them to finalize their order. ....

Problem with this is it help people who already own a car. Building a grid network that will spur purchases in new areas might be better unless the plan is to have it grow like capillarity action. That would favor servicing issues.

Maybe it would be best at the one month of ownership phone call I think they should do (after getting permission from the owner to make the call) in which they reinforce the battery contract that was signed, why the car should be plugged in, and the risks of not plugging the car in for extended periods. During the phone call they could talk about the Supercharging network they are building. They could say it will take years to build out but that they are asking owners what location they would like to see a charger and that they are building a database of owner requests to see where the ideal locations are to place Superchargers.

Problem with this is it help people who already own a car. Building a grid network that will spur purchases in new areas might be better unless the plan is to have it grow like capillarity action. That would favor servicing issues.

I think the Superchargers should start at 150 mile intervals along major highways from each Tesla Store. Since people are more likely to buy a car that live near a service center than 1,000 miles away, that makes sense for a starting point. This would effectively double the radius of people that live within one Supercharger's access of a Tesla store.

The main purpose of asking people their desired location would be to see what they thought would be a good location for a Supercharger. If enough people were clustered in a certain city that wasn't anywhere near a Tesla Store but all requested a similar town for a Supercharger, then that location would also work well for those owners.

I think the Superchargers should start at 150 mile intervals along major highways from each Tesla Store. Since people are more likely to buy a car that live near a service center than 1,000 miles away, that makes sense for a starting point. This would effectively double the radius of people that live within one Supercharger's access of a Tesla store.

The best reason for asking for specific locations just might be that someone might suggest a place they had not thought of or heard of.

Anonymous and general locations may be helpful but they have less influence on determining the BEST locations.

In my opinion dozens of anonymous locations without any additional description or explanation are of marginal value to Tesla in considering real-world locations where they might actually contact a prospective host. Anonymous markers designating false "Tesla Motors" locations are downright unhelpful.

Larry

[*]Try to be as specific as possible for the location - since this is a location you specifically would desire you should know what is in the area already. These markers are for trips you should be doing regularly.
I wasn't terribly specific because I picked places which I want to "pass through" without really stopping for that long; in places where I really want to stay overnight, or even for a long dinner or lunch, I don't need Superchargers! So I picked cities, but not locations within cities.

I also want to emphasize that these markers should be placed judiciously. As though the money to fund these locations is coming out of your own pocket (it really is if you are a stockholder like me). This is why I said limit your picks. Placing in your reservation number or login id is a way to signify that its your suggestion. Anonymous and general locations may be helpful but they have less influence on determining the BEST locations. If you regularly travel these routes then you should know where the best locations should be.
I explained on each of my markers why it would be useful for me.

I picked locations that I could use 2-6x a year. I picked locations based on range of 230Mile pack at the local speed limits that would be needed. I also tried to pick locations near major Interstate intersections so that others may benefit from the same location. I also placed markers at or near establishments I've previously stopped at.
I drive less often than you and I'm getting the 300 mile pack. So I picked locations which would change certain trips which I take every few years from "must rent gas car (yuck)" to "possible in Model S", based on the 300 mile pack. This has the advantage of creating a skeletal cross-country network. The cities I chose are definitely the right ones and are typical refuelling points for me in a gas car. More closely placed chargers would be an improvement, but my focus was on "access" -- being *able* to get to various locations without staying overnight.

In particular Erie, PA is absolutely crucial, being at the point where several different routes compress into one. (I'm generally coming from the east along route 17 (interstate 86) but other people are coming west on I-90; travel west/south of Erie splits in multiple directions towards Pittsburgh or Cleveland, and splits again at Cleveland. But I don't really want to hang out in Erie overnight, or even for six hours, though a couple of hours is fine.) A supercharger in Erie extends the "range of possible trips" massively.

I wasn't terribly specific because ...
...I explained on each of my markers why it would be useful for me. ...

your tags look good to me. Its more the anonymous markers without any comments that I was considering trying to minimize. I know if a charger ended up even close to a desired location it would probably be used.

...Anonymous markers designating false "Tesla Motors" locations are downright unhelpful.
I think that the Tesla Motor sites will probably be some of the first locations that end up with fast charging - so I placed these on the map as reference. Clicking on ledger item on the bottom of the map will hide the markers.

Currently the map contains:
63 Anonymous 90kW chargers - some with and without comments
137 markers from 27 reservation holders with an average of 5 markers/res and max of 25 markers from one individual.

The locals that I picked in Texas have to do with Range VS Coverage.

If one supercharger will service, lets say, 200 Mi then it follows that if they are placed at least 200Mi apart and 175 Mi away from major cities. If you draw a circle around the superchargers on a map, it should have a radius of 200Mi. This will give you a general idea of the coverage of that supercharger.

The placement away from major cities has to do with Tesla is wanting to expand to have one store in every major city (and it follows that they'll have 10-20KW access or access to a supercharger on site), and the fact that 10-20KW is readily available in those locals be it at a person's residence or at the local theatre/cineplex/mall.

Anonymous markers designating false "Tesla Motors" locations are downright unhelpful.

Larry

I think that the Tesla Motor sites will probably be some of the first locations that end up with fast charging - so I placed these on the map as reference.

Hi,

I think you misunderstood my remark. Your Tesla markers are very helpful. I am referring to an anonymous poster who is creating false Tesla locations in Georgia and North Carolina. If you have the ability to edit the map I would suggest that you delete these false Tesla markers.

Thanks.

Larry