Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Suggested Supercharger Locations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

I think you misunderstood my remark. Your Tesla markers are very helpful. I am referring to an anonymous poster who is creating false Tesla locations in Georgia and North Carolina. If you have the ability to edit the map I would suggest that you delete these false Tesla markers.

Thanks.

Larry

Changed them from TMC to 20kW chargers.

There is one in Atlanta too - does someone know that is this a new location?

There is one in Atlanta too - does someone know that is this a new location?

Yes, as I posted there is a false Tesla store in Georgia. No doubt in the future there will be an Alanta store, maybe even this year, but until it actually appears on the official Tesla list, it would be misleading to show markers to stores that don't exist.

Larry

Is there at least one supercharger already installed between LA and San Francisco that has been used by Tesla for tests?

Tesla Model S Could Have Charging Stations Ready on Arrival - GreenPacks
...The company has also designed its own DC fast-charge unit, capable of delivering 480 volts, which would be called the Supercharger. Tesla reported that the first Supercharger would be installed along Interstate 5 at the Harris Ranch in Coalinga, Calif., roughly halfway between Los Angeles and San Francisco...
They probably have one there by now...

Checking with the PlugShare app on my iPhone I see a "Tesla" outlet is located at Harris Ranch. Oddly it only shows up when I turn on the "show low power (120v) stations" option.

There has been a 240V Tesla Roadster HPC at Harris Ranch for a long while now.
The SuperCharger would be an additional charging option there for Model S to use...

I added a Supercharger desired location in Drummonville,CA for getting to Quebec City and one in Bangor, ME for Mt Desert Island and the Maritimes to the Zeemap. I also added the new service center coming in the fall in Watertown, MA.

In general, it seems to me that the Supercharger locations, as opposed to normal charging stations, would be better on highways away from cities. They're really only for use on road trips for quick charging, so I'd rather not have to drive into a city. Overnight charging is a completely different thing and placing 10 or 20 Kw chargers in cities or other destination locations makes a lot of sense to me.

In general, it seems to me that the Supercharger locations, as opposed to normal charging stations, would be better on highways away from cities. They're really only for use on road trips for quick charging, so I'd rather not have to drive into a city. Overnight charging is a completely different thing and placing 10 or 20 Kw chargers in cities or other destination locations makes a lot of sense to me.

Reading the various threads on range anxiety (and the MotorTrend article!), it seems there's a third category needed:

1) Superchargers, strategically placed.
2) Overnight charging
3) Extra chargers for a quick top off to add a few miles when you've mis-judged the run to your next supercharge or overnight charge.

Added a few suggestions in western Norway, in locations where they would be useful for several different routes to different places.

Max theoretical range is hardly practical here. The terrain is far from level, the roads are often so steep that regenerative braking would be insufficient. I have a feeling that driving Rv7 down Måbødalen it would be a bad idea to start with a full battery!
Furthermore, 55 mph (90 km/h) would be both impractical and illegal on the majority of these roads.

On board BC ferries (ok maybe not Superchargers), think about it, if ferries had fast chargers, you could load up while sailing and have a full charge on the other side.

Pull onto the Ferry, and have a retractable cord from the ceiling, plug in, and enjoy the sailing.

I vote for Super Chargers at these locations :

1. Merritt BC (this is a main connection point to the Okanagon BC, Salmon Arm, Kelowna, etc etc. Major hub and people from Vancouver could reach here in a single charge and it would open up the entire central BC for EV travel)

2. Whistler BC (obvious reasons)

3. Vancouver BC or Hope BC (again pretty obvious reasons.... however, I would say another fringe location, like Hope BC would be better because anyone living in Vancouver should be charging at home. The real power of Super Chargers is being 200-300 miles from where Tesla Owners live, this way it effectively doubles the range at which they can travel.)