Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Suggested Tesla Supercharger locations in Florida

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok going to make some people mad here but ... don't put superchargers where people will park for hours. Perhaps a couple restaurants but not malls, national parks, theme parks. You want regular 10kW or 20kW chargers at the places you park at for 2-3 hours or more. You want superchargers where you only park for 30-45 minutes.

Ok going to make some people mad here but ... don't put superchargers where people will park for hours. Perhaps a couple restaurants but not malls, national parks, theme parks. You want regular 10kW or 20kW chargers at the places you park at for 2-3 hours or more. You want superchargers where you only park for 30-45 minutes.

This is generally true, and along interstates like I-95, for example, I'd expect the superchargers to be at the regular rest stations where you can grab a bite to eat and go to the bathroom while the car charges and be on your way. Alligator Alley is a unique problem because the road is totally remote and desolate -- it goes straight through the Everglades and is fenced on both sides to avoid the alligators (and other wildlife) from coming onto the road. There are no traditional rest stops like you'd see on a normal interstate highway, and I would fully expect that people coming from either direction will want to top off their battery before heading onto the Alley, so the question becomes where to put the superchargers near the entrances to the Alley that wouldn't leave someone twiddling their thumbs for 30-45 minutes.

I grew up in Tampa. Believe me I know about Alligator Alley. That is spooky to drive across with a full tank of gas. I did it once at about 2AM and would never do that again. I would highly recommend Superchargers very close to both sides.

But putting super chargers at malls is just going to get them clogged up. If you put them at malls you will have to hire valets to shuffle cars around and charge them properly, I would be so pissed if I was trying to cross the state and someone who was shopping for 3 hours had the Supercharge all tied up. Superchargers I believe should operate like gas pumps, you need to sort of sit and wait on them. You can get regular 240VAC 70A chargers where you park for 2-3 hours. I would recommend an Ice Cream store with super charger on both sides. Having a cool treat for a half hour would be great for 9-10 months out of the year.

Superchargers I believe should operate like gas pumps, you need to sort of sit and wait on them.

Agree with much of what you say, but not this part. I'd like to do something other than waiting or having just one choice like eating burgers. 30 - 60 min will be perceived as losing too much time unless one can do something useful during this time. If there are useful things to do, one loses less time than at a gas station. I think parking lots close to streets with lots of restaurants, coffee shops, other shops are ideal. In some cases it could be malls as well, if they are nice places to stay even if you don't want to buy something. But I agree that a movie theatre wouldn't be the best choice (unless maybe we some day we'll have them almost everywhere).

Another idea for the Tesla Super charging network could be installing the units every six on/off ramps on I-95 and I-75. This should give Roadster, Model S and Model X (when they come online) owners the satisfaction that a Tesla Motors Super charge is really close.

As for I-4, the network could have charges in Daytona, Deltona, Altamonte Springs, Orlando ( Two locations), Celebration, Plant City, I-4/I-75 exchange, Tampa and St. Petesburgh.

Another idea for the Tesla Super charging network could be installing the units every six on/off ramps on I-95 and I-75. This should give Roadster, Model S and Model X (when they come online) owners the satisfaction that a Tesla Motors Super charge is really close.

As for I-4, the network could have charges in Daytona, Deltona, Altamonte Springs, Orlando ( Two locations), Celebration, Plant City, I-4/I-75 exchange, Tampa and St. Petesburgh.

Thanks.

Can you be more specific?

When I started this thread I was hoping that as locals we might be able to assist Tesla in planning their Supercharger network by suggesting specific Florida locations, and by citing various features, i.e. restaurants, restrooms, etc., that would make the location appealing to Tesla.

With regard to Roadsters, I was under the impression that they don't have the capability for DC fast charging, even with a Tesla Supercharger.

Larry

Thanks.

Can you be more specific?

When I started this thread I was hoping that as locals we might be able to assist Tesla in planning their Supercharger network by suggesting specific Florida locations, and by citing various features, i.e. restaurants, restrooms, etc., that would make the location appealing to Tesla.

With regard to Roadsters, I was under the impression that they don't have the capability for DC fast charging, even with a Tesla Supercharger.

Larry

Hey Larry,

I threw some general locations along the I-4 corridor from Daytona to Tampa in the hope people from those areas could provide greater detail. If need be I will add more detail.

Larry and to other members of the Florida community here is my feeble attempt at providing locations for Tesla Motors Florida Supercharging Network. I'm not an expert but my proposal consist of 10 units in total and covers the I-4 corridor from east to west. I selected the locations due to their proximity to restaurants, shops and other services. I welcome your critiques, suggestion and your bashing because I am not the expert and nor do I work for TM. Lol...

Daytona: Mc Donald's 1121 Beville Rd. Daytona Beach, FL 32119 (One Super Charger)

Deltona: Publix Super Market @ Crown Centre 2556 Enterprise Rd. Orange City, FL 32763 (One Super Charger)

Altamonte Springs: Bahama Breeze 499 East Altamonte Dr. Altamonte Springs, FL 32701 (One super Charger)

Orlando: AT&T Store 4006 Conroy Rd. Orlando, FL 32839 (Two Super Chargers)

Celebration: AT&T Store 6081 West Irlo Bronson Memorial Highway Celebration, FL 34747 (One Super Charger)

Lakeland: Mc Donald's 5325 Frontage Rd. South Lakeland, FL 33815 (One Super Charger)

I-4/I-75 connection: Five Guys Burgers & Fires 8606 Elm Fair Blvd. Tampa, FL 33610 (One Super Charger)

Tampa: Season 52 204 North West Shore Blvd. Tampa, FL 33609 (Two Super Chargers)

Again, these are only suggestions that can and will be modified if Tesla Motors implements a Florida Super Charging Network.

Larry and to other members of the Florida community here is my feeble attempt at providing locations for Tesla Motors Florida Supercharging Network. I'm not an expert but my proposal consist of 10 units in total and covers the I-4 corridor from east to west. I selected the locations due to their proximity to restaurants, shops and other services. I welcome your critiques, suggestion and your bashing because I am not the expert and nor do I work for TM. Lol...

Daytona: Mc Donald's 1121 Beville Rd. Daytona Beach, FL 32119 (One Super Charger)

Deltona: Publix Super Market @ Crown Centre 2556 Enterprise Rd. Orange City, FL 32763 (One Super Charger)

Altamonte Springs: Bahama Breeze 499 East Altamonte Dr. Altamonte Springs, FL 32701 (One super Charger)

Orlando: AT&T Store 4006 Conroy Rd. Orlando, FL 32839 (Two Super Chargers)

Celebration: AT&T Store 6081 West Irlo Bronson Memorial Highway Celebration, FL 34747 (One Super Charger)

Lakeland: Mc Donald's 5325 Frontage Rd. South Lakeland, FL 33815 (One Super Charger)

I-4/I-75 connection: Five Guys Burgers & Fires 8606 Elm Fair Blvd. Tampa, FL 33610 (One Super Charger)

Tampa: Season 52 204 North West Shore Blvd. Tampa, FL 33609 (Two Super Chargers)

Again, these are only suggestions that can and will be modified if Tesla Motors implements a Florida Super Charging Network.

This seems REALLY dense to me for super charger coverage. St. Pete to Daytona is only ~160 miles on I-4. I would think they would only need 1 super charger in Orlando, or one on each end to cover all of I-4. I hope that these chargers become as common as gas stations but you don't get more function (just convenience) if they are closer than about 150-200 miles apart.

I think 'full' coverage of Florida is only 9 locations Pensacola, Tallahassee, Jacksonville, Titusville, Gainesville, Tampa, Fort Lauderdale, Naples, and maybe one in Homestead for Key West.

This seems REALLY dense to me for super charger coverage. St. Pete to Daytona is only ~160 miles on I-4. I would think they would only need 1 super charger in Orlando, or one on each end to cover all of I-4. I hope that these chargers become as common as gas stations but you don't get more function (just convenience) if they are closer than about 150-200 miles apart.

I think 'full' coverage of Florida is only 9 locations Pensacola, Tallahassee, Jacksonville, Titusville, Gainesville, Tampa, Fort Lauderdale, Naples, and maybe one in Homestead for Key West.

If the distance between Daytona and St. Pete is 160 miles, I would agree that my proposed coverage area is too dense. I say three stations should be able to cover the I-4 corridor ( Daytona, Orlando and St. Pete).

As for the rest of Florida, I think a more strategic approach would have to be taken to lay out the remaining units.

I would suggest adding a supercharger in Lake Wales on route 60 at a Walgreens or restaurant like Perkins to the list for consideration. Lake Wales is pretty central and being 50 miles from Tampa could give people the extra boost to get there, as well as, St Pete., Clearwater etc. Also, this charger woud allow stress free trips between the Tampa/Clearwater/St Pete areas to locations on the east coast like West Palm Beach etc.

I would suggest adding a supercharger in Lake Wales on route 60 at a Walgreens or restaurant like Perkins to the list for consideration. Lake Wales is pretty central and being 50 miles from Tampa could give people the extra boost to get there, as well as, St Pete., Clearwater etc. Also, this charger woud allow stress free trips between the Tampa/Clearwater/St Pete areas to locations on the east coast like West Palm Beach etc.

Hi Warren,

Sounds like a good location to me.

How about Manny's Chophouse?

Mannys Chophouse.jpg

It looks like a good place to eat off of Rt. 60 and its close to the Rt 27 intersection.

Ever been there?

Larry

Last edited: