Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Suggested Tesla Supercharger locations in Florida

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From PSL to Osceola is 100 miles. From Osceola to WDW is 15 miles. There is no place to charge at WDW. Then you come back. That's 230 miles. Since it's mostly 75mph on TPK, that's pushing it. It does not matter where I start the trip (or end) because PSL is not more than 149 miles from the begining (or end) of TPK in Homestead. If SC was at Yeehaw, the round trip to WDW would be 142 miles, and it's still doable from/to Homestead (193 miles).

To assist in our discusions, here's a zoomed version of an overlay of the Tesla dots:

Supercharger network May 30 2013.jpg

Larry

From PSL to Osceola is 100 miles. From Osceola to WDW is 15 miles. There is no place to charge at WDW. Then you come back. That's 230 miles. Since it's mostly 75mph on TPK, that's pushing it. It does not matter where I start the trip (or end) because PSL is not more than 149 miles from the begining (or end) of TPK in Homestead. If SC was at Yeehaw, the round trip to WDW would be 142 miles, and it's still doable from/to Homestead (193 miles).

Hi Robert,

Its true that there are no charging stations at Walt Disney World and that presents us with a big issue as documented in the following thread.
Disney's current position regarding electric chargers
However, the Orlando area has the highest concentration of hotels with chargers of any area of the state. We have to tell Disney that whereas we used to stay at their resorts since they have not gone to the effort of installing charging stations at their resorts (except at their RV park) in the future we will be staying at competing Orlando resorts that DO have chargers.

Here's a Map of Florida Hotels with Electric Charging Stations. You can zoom into Orlando to see what I mean.

With regard to your suggestion to place a Supercharger at Yeehaw on the Turnpike, do you have a specific host location in mind that has the necessary amenities?

I should add that even if there were a Supercharger placed on the Turnpike, I would never stay at a Disney resort (even if I could make the round trip with the help of a Supercharger) as long as Disney fails to address the charging situation. We should not reward them for having their head in the sand.

Larry

Last edited:
Amenities are a nice luxury but the ability to charge at the necessary location (distance) is more important. I'd rather sit in my car for an hour and watch a video on a tablet then not be able to make the trip at all. Unfortunately, even if Disney does not provide the services we need, some us still prefer on site accomodations for the other benefits. All I want is for TESLA to make the trip possible for me.

Now I understand you. But I think that, in this case, you are asking Tesla to do Disney's job (or the hotel's job, etc.). Superchargers are specifically designed to enable long-distance travel from one city to another... and PSL does exactly that. 150 miles to Miami, 100-110 miles to Orlando depending on where you're going: perfect. Once in Orlando, local charging is your responsibility, not Tesla's.

Or, to put it another way, it is Disney who is failing to serve your needs, not Tesla!

Please note that I'm not telling you what to think! I am simply saying that Tesla has never accepted responsibility for local charging, so I don't think there's any chance of them doing what you hope they'll do. Tesla doesn't consider it their job to do what you want... so whether you or I or anyone else might think differently, I think you'll simply have to find other ways to charge in Orlando.

Here's a Walgreens very close to Disney with a 30A Chargepoint charger: 7765 W Irlo Bronson Memorial Hwy. I'm sure there are many other publicly-accessible chargers.

Last edited:
I think the Gainsville/Ocala section needs some attention and I'm not sure what is going on with the Palm Coasts dot, but all in all I'm fairly pleased with the Florida dots.

I was studying the Ft. Lauderdale/Miami dot and wondering if its The Shops at Pembroke Gardens. I've been there and its a very nice town center, with good restaurants and with the ramp to I-75 right across the street. Its close to Ft. Lauderdale and Miami, but not imbedded in either downtown area. If that's the Supercharger location that would be an intelligent choice.

Larry

Last edited:
Hi Robert,

Its true that there are no charging stations at Walt Disney World and that presents us with a big issue as documented in the following thread.
Disney's current position regarding electric chargers

However, the Orlando area has the highest concentration of hotels with chargers of any area of the state. We have to tell Disney that whereas we used to stay at their resorts since they have not gone to the effort of installing charging stations at their resorts (except at their RV park) in the future we will be staying at competing Orlando resorts that DO have chargers.

Here's a Map of Florida Hotels with Electric Charging Stations. You can zoom into Orlando to see what I mean.

With regard to your suggestion to place a Supercharger at Yeehaw on the Turnpike, do you have a specific host location in mind that has the necessary amenities?

I should add that even if there were a Supercharger placed on the Turnpike, I would never stay at a Disney resort (even if I could make the round trip with the help of a Supercharger) as long as Disney fails to address the charging situation. We should not reward them for having their head in the sand.

Larry

I can't get those links to work for some reason...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I don't grok the Palm Coast location at all. Under 100 miles from Dayton to Jax, so the north-south travel doesn't explain it, and I see no east-west justificacion either. Maybe I'm missing something since I'm not local. It's especially odd considering there's a rather large hole between Tampa and the next northbound Supercharger.

The Gainesville/Ocala area would seem to be a better choice than Palm Coast to me. There's roughly 180 miles between Tampa and the I-75/I-10 intersection.

I recommended the Paddock Mall, a Simon property in Ocala, as an SC location to Tesla yesterday. Perhaps if other TMC members do the same the need will rise to the level of attention it deserves.

It may be important to point out many owners (and future owners) live in the Tampa Bay area but not necessarily close to the Tampa supercharger dot. It won't make sense to stop there when traveling north with a full range charge from Sarasota, Lakeland or Treasure Island. However, the distance to the Lake City/Live Oak SC dot will be 25 to 50 miles further. That's simply too far for comfort.

FWIW, I looked at the Annual Average Daily Volume (AADV) of traffic on I-75 in Alachua County. It was 80,600 in 2006 and, according to trends, is over 100,000 today. That's a ton of traffic and comparable to I-95 at the same latitude. Many travelers are tourists and snowbirds, some probably driving Teslas. We NEED the SC infrastructure along I-75 to encourage that north > south travel. If the TM budget can't support any more than those SC's already proposed, IMHO the Palm Coast SC should be relocated to the Ocala area.

Amenities are a nice luxury but the ability to charge at the necessary location (distance) is more important. I'd rather sit in my car for an hour and watch a video on a tablet then not be able to make the trip at all. Unfortunately, even if Disney does not provide the services we need, some us still prefer on site accomodations for the other benefits. All I want is for TESLA to make the trip possible for me.

Robert,

I'm not suggesting that elaborate luxuries are a necessity. However, I am fairly sure that Tesla is not going to place a Supercharger in a location without restrooms and food at a minimum.

Larry

- - - Updated - - -

I can't get those links to work for some reason...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Hi Steve,

Thanks. Try them now.

Larry

- - - Updated - - -

Now I understand you. But I think that, in this case, you are asking Tesla to do Disney's job (or the hotel's job, etc.). Superchargers are specifically designed to enable long-distance travel from one city to another... and PSL does exactly that. 150 miles to Miami, 100-110 miles to Orlando depending on where you're going: perfect. Once in Orlando, local charging is your responsibility, not Tesla's.

Or, to put it another way, it is Disney who is failing to serve your needs, not Tesla!

Please note that I'm not telling you what to think! I am simply saying that Tesla has never accepted responsibility for local charging, so I don't think there's any chance of them doing what you hope they'll do. Tesla doesn't consider it their job to do what you want... so whether you or I or anyone else might think differently, I think you'll simply have to find other ways to charge in Orlando.

Here's a Walgreens very close to Disney with a 30A Chargepoint charger: 7765 W Irlo Bronson Memorial Hwy. I'm sure there are many other publicly-accessible chargers.

Hi Rodolfo,

Yes, I agree.

I have no objection to Tesla eventually locating a Supercharger in a strategic location near Orlando, but now when Superchargers are scarce it would be better not to waste a Supercharger on a destination city that has lots of overnight charging at hotels.

Map of Florida Hotels with Electric Charging Stations

(Zoom into the Orlando area to view the available hotels with chargers.)

Larry

As has been pointed out, the map of planned supercharger locations would seem to serve travel along both coasts of Florida quite well. However, anyone wishing to travel Florida's Turnpike Mainline across the center of the state is at a disadvantage. Google maps shows the distance between Town Center Plaza in Port St. Lucie (confirmed supercharger location) and Lake City (approximate intersection of I-75 and I-10) as being 269 miles. If we examine the mid-point for such a trip we find that the intersection of Route 50 and Route 27 in Clermont is 137 miles from both the Port St. Lucie supercharger and from Lake City; easily doable with a 60kWh Model S!

There is a new interchange for the Turnpike planned near milepost 279, just a few miles north of the recently renovated (mile 272) interchange at Route 50 in Clermont. It is interesting to note that the city council, staff, and community of Clermont (the largest city in Lake County) are currently in the process of developing a "vision" for the city. I can assure you that some of the same discussions described on the official website for the City of Port St. Lucie will be taking place here. Whether any of this might fit into Tesla's plans is simply a guess.

Don

As has been pointed out, the map of planned supercharger locations would seem to serve travel along both coasts of Florida quite well. However, anyone wishing to travel Florida's Turnpike Mainline across the center of the state is at a disadvantage. Google maps shows the distance between Town Center Plaza in Port St. Lucie (confirmed supercharger location) and Lake City (approximate intersection of I-75 and I-10) as being 269 miles. If we examine the mid-point for such a trip we find that the intersection of Route 50 and Route 27 in Clermont is 137 miles from both the Port St. Lucie supercharger and from Lake City; easily doable with a 60kWh Model S!

There is a new interchange for the Turnpike planned near milepost 279, just a few miles north of the recently renovated (mile 272) interchange at Route 50 in Clermont. It is interesting to note that the city council, staff, and community of Clermont (the largest city in Lake County) are currently in the process of developing a "vision" for the city. I can assure you that some of the same discussions described on the official website for the City of Port St. Lucie will be taking place here. Whether any of this might fit into Tesla's plans is simply a guess.

Don

Don,

You make a good point about diagonal travel across the state being stretched, but isn't it over 8 miles, one-way, from the Turnpike Interchange at Route 50 to Clemont?

Do you have a particular host location in mind?

Thanks.

Larry

Larry,

Yeah - it's about 6 1/2 miles from interchange 272 to the intersection of Routes 50 & 27. The planned additional interchange will be very close.

No specific host location identified yet, but there is a Publix shopping center (with a Belk department store) at the north-east intersection of US 27, Grand Hwy, and Citrus Tower Blvd with a large parking lot. This is right across the street from the Florida Citrus Tower (Built in 1955 and towering over 500 feet above sea level, The Citrus Tower is noted being one of Florida's first attractions. The glass observation deck allows visitors to observe the panoramic views.)

Don

Larry,

Yeah - it's about 6 1/2 miles from interchange 272 to the intersection of Routes 50 & 27. The planned additional interchange will be very close.

No specific host location identified yet, but there is a Publix shopping center (with a Belk department store) at the north-east intersection of US 27, Grand Hwy, and Citrus Tower Blvd with a large parking lot. This is right across the street from the Florida Citrus Tower (Built in 1955 and towering over 500 feet above sea level, The Citrus Tower is noted being one of Florida's first attractions. The glass observation deck allows visitors to observe the panoramic views.)

Don
Don,
According to Google Clermont is 8 miles one-way from the new interchange. I fear that the 16 mile round trip to get back on the Turnpike will make it a not so strategic location.
Larry
EDIT: Sorry Don I misunderstood. Where is the new interchange going? Can you give an intersection with an existing road? I can't see milepost 279 on Google maps.

Last edited:

Don

But I think you are missing the point. Right now, the goal is to enable travel between origin and destination. Tesla isn't trying to cover every possible route to get there. To go from Port St. Lucie to Lake city by the turnpike is 3 hours, 45 minutes. To travel via I-95, through Jacksonville is 3 hours, 51 minutes. A difference of 6 minutes, according to Google Maps. There would be 2 Superchargers along that route, one at 151 miles from PSL, and the next one 30 miles later. The distance from the 2nd one to Lake City is 116 miles.

- - - Updated - - -

Btw, Gainesville is not as straightforward. It will cost you an extra 40 minutes. But it's still pretty easy. There's a direct route from the "Palm Coast" SC to Gainesville.

But I think you are missing the point. Right now, the goal is to enable travel between origin and destination. Tesla isn't trying to cover every possible route to get there. To go from Port St. Lucie to Lake city by the turnpike is 3 hours, 45 minutes. To travel via I-95, through Jacksonville is 3 hours, 51 minutes. A difference of 6 minutes, according to Google Maps. There would be 2 Superchargers along that route, one at 151 miles from PSL, and the next one 30 miles later. The distance from the 2nd one to Lake City is 116 miles.

- - - Updated - - -

Btw, Gainesville is not as straightforward. It will cost you an extra 40 minutes. But it's still pretty easy. There's a direct route from the "Palm Coast" SC to Gainesville.

Point well taken - you can still get there without adding too many miles or too much time to your trip. (I just dislike driving I-95, and prefer the Turnpike - seems to be less traffic.)

Mod Note: un-sticking....

- - - Updated - - -

I think the Gainsville/Ocala section needs some attention and I'm not sure what is going on with the Palm Coasts dot, but all in all I'm fairly pleased with the Florida dots.

I was studying the Ft. Lauderdale/Miami dot and wondering if its The Shops at Pembroke Gardens. I've been there and its a very nice town center, with good restaurants and with the ramp to I-75 right across the street. Its close to Ft. Lauderdale and Miami, but not imbedded in either downtown area. If that's the Supercharger location that would be an intelligent choice.

Larry

You (we all) missed the obvious - superchargers will be at the Dania Beach store/service center. It's perfect for I-95/595/75/Alligator Alley.

You (we all) missed the obvious - superchargers will be at the Dania Beach store/service center. It's perfect for I-95/595/75/Alligator Alley.

Nigel,

That's true its a very strategic location, but it lacks amenities. :wink:

It would be better if they placed the Supercharger down the street at the Islamorada Fish House Restaurant.

Or maybe the Dania Beach folks can run a shuttle over there. :biggrin:

Larry

Mod Note: un-sticking....

- - - Updated - - -

I don't think so -- I don't know where they could even put them. Their neighbors already dislike them because Tesla takes over most of the parking spaces, and even with the recent lease on the space next door, it's still going to be very crowded there without the superchargers, and only get worse as more cars are bought/serviced in the area.

I think if there is anywhere near here that they'll put a supercharger, it would be out west near Weston/Pembroke Pines etc., for people either coming off Alligator Alley or about to go on Alligator Alley. That's the most logical place, and there are malls and generally more space out there to accommodate superchargers.

What about Sawgrass Mills, a Simon property, on Sunrise Blvd? TM has 6 stores throughout the country in Simon properties, including the Dadeland Mall. Simon also owns/manages St. Augustine Premium Outlets.

The enhanced SC map shows the center of the SC dot almost due west of Ft. Lauderdale. Weston would also align pretty well...

Here's the map for those who haven't seen it:
TeslaMap a.jpg

Last edited: