Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Suggested Tesla Supercharger locations in Florida

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is what Im thinking as well, its the only place they really make sense, besides for the fact that there isnt a shopping center near by. Was at the store today and asked if they had heard anything and she said no but that she also thought it would be in Dania.

The Fort Lauderdale/Miami dot is Dania Beach Service Center (there will be superchargers going in there (perfect for I-95/595/75/Alligator Alley).....

I'm willing to take wagers..... :wink:

- - - Updated - - -

The dots seem to be off anyways though, the Fort Myers supercharger is probably right about where the M in myers is, so on the edge of their dot.

What about Sawgrass Mills, a Simon property, on Sunrise Blvd? TM has 6 stores throughout the country in Simon properties, including the Dadeland Mall. Simon also owns/manages St. Augustine Premium Outlets.

The enhanced SC map shows the center of the SC dot almost due west of Ft. Lauderdale. Weston would also align pretty well...

Here's the map for those who haven't seen it:

The Fort Lauderdale/Miami dot is Dania Beach Service Center (there will be superchargers going in there (perfect for I-95/595/75/Alligator Alley).....

I'm willing to take wagers..... :wink:

This is what Im thinking as well, its the only place they really make sense, besides for the fact that there isnt a shopping center near by. Was at the store today and asked if they had heard anything and she said no but that she also thought it would be in Dania.

I think that eventually most service centers will be getting "mini Superchargers" to support their operations and to occassionally accommodate a traveling Model S owner. However, this will merely be a single Supercharger and it is not designed to support all the owners wanting to take road trips. The only amenities that the Dania Beach Service Center has is a restroom. The nearest restaurant is about a mile away.

I believe the Fort Lauderdale/Miami dot is not the Dania Beach Service Center. I have heard credible rumors that Pompano Beach will have a full Supercharger installation with multiple charging stalls and amenities.

Larry

What about Sawgrass Mills, a Simon property, on Sunrise Blvd? TM has 6 stores throughout the country in Simon properties, including the Dadeland Mall. Simon also owns/manages St. Augustine Premium Outlets.

The enhanced SC map shows the center of the SC dot almost due west of Ft. Lauderdale. Weston would also align pretty well...

The dots seem to be off anyways though, the Fort Myers supercharger is probably right about where the M in myers is, so on the edge of their dot.

With regard to the accuracy of the dots, if you review this blow-up of the dots map you will see that the first three dots were pretty much dead on.

attachment.php?attachmentid=22984&d=1370114593.jpg

However, as time goes on the initial dots are likely to be less accurate as realities take effect, earlier plans are forced to change. In addition, the fact of the matter is that now that Tesla is more well known host locations are actually reaching out to Tesla. Whereas initially many host locations were declining Supercharger stations, now many see this as promoting economic development.

So now Tesla has more options at their disposal and I think we will be seeing new Supercharger stations that are not even on the initial interactive map.

Sawgrass Mills is a fine mall, but I think it is at a less strategic location than a mall located closer to I-95. The most strategic locations would be located near the intersection of I-595 and I-95.

Larry

There's actually a Bass Pro Shops Outdoor World store just north of the Dania Beach Service Center. It has a restaurant / restrooms inside. While not everyone's idea of a good place to stop, those of us who fish and hunt feel like we are in Disney!

And isn't the Ft Meyers supercharger also in a parking lot adjacent to a Bass Pro Shop? Maybe there's a connection there.........

There's actually a Bass Pro Shops Outdoor World store just north of the Dania Beach Service Center. It has a restaurant / restrooms inside. While not everyone's idea of a good place to stop, those of us who fish and hunt feel like we are in Disney!

And isn't the Ft Meyers supercharger also in a parking lot adjacent to a Bass Pro Shop? Maybe there's a connection there.........

Hi Steve,

That's the point I made in posting #138.

Nigel,

That's true its a very strategic location, but it lacks amenities. :wink:

It would be better if they placed the Supercharger down the street at the Islamorada Fish House Restaurant.

Or maybe the Dania Beach folks can run a shuttle over there. :biggrin:

Larry

We had two club meet-ups there.

The Fort Myers Isamorada is a long walk away from the Superchargers. We had a club meet-up there as well.

Larry

P.S. The Islamorada Fish House Restaurant is the name of the restaurant at the Bass Pro Shop locations.

Hi Steve,

That's the point I made in posting #138.

We had two club meet-ups there.

The Fort Myers Isamorada is a long walk away from the Superchargers. We had a club meet-up there as well.

Larry

P.S. The Islamorada Fish House Restaurant is the name of the restaurant at the Bass Pro Shop locations.

oops! I've never stopped to eat there. Have used the restrooms (TMI) , and have bought way too much gear that I don't need but end up using. I had no idea what they called their restaurant.

Still think it would be a great location, but what I save on fuel I would burn up on fishing gear!

Still think it would be a great location, but what I save on fuel I would burn up on fishing gear!

Yes, it is stratigically located near the intersection of I-595 and I-95, so it would be good for people traveling both West over Alligator Alley and North and South on I-95. I like the restaurant, but there is nothing else located there besides the Bass Pro Shop.

Larry

- - - Updated - - -

I still believe that the turnpike and the center of the state is being overlooked.

Hi John,

I have credible, but unofficial information that Tesla is pursuing a Supercharger station at the Fort Drumm Service Plaza on the Florida Turnpike.

Larry

I wholeheartedly agree re center of the state. Those of us who would like to travel to Tallahassee during football season can't do so right now. A supercharger at Live Oak would be perfect! Also would be a good strategic location for a path to Atlanta on I-75.

Steve,

If you check the interactive map for 2014 you'll see that a Supercharger station is already planned for that area near the intersection of I-75 and I-10. I've been calling it Lake City, but it could be Live Oak.

The problem is that its about 180 miles between the "Tampa" dot and the "Lake City" dot. That is too far apart, especially for 60 kWh batteries. I have suggested to the Supercharger team that instead of installing the "St. Augustine" Supercharger station on the initial roll-out, they should consider first installing a Supercharger station in the Gainesville/Ocala region. The St. Augustine Supercharger dot is only 50 miles from the existing Port Orange Supercharger and about 50 miles from the planned Jacksonville Supercharger, so this could be deferred in the initial roll-out until the gaps in the center of the state are addressed.

Installing a Supercharger in say Ocala would split the distance on I-75 between Tampa and Lake City in half to make the trip to Tallahassee less problematic. The Supercharger team executive seemed interested in the idea, but obviously they aren't in a position to commit at this time.

Larry

P.S. If you have the time you might enjoy reading the following thread in which we speculate where the dots may be located.

Where are the supercharger dots in Florida?

Last edited:
Trying to figure out how I'm going to take Model S ... 60 kilowatt hours ..... for cruise transportation to the Miami cruise terminal. What will I do during the week I wonder if there is a place for charging during the week or afterwards if I will need to top up somewhere. Any suggestions are much appreciated thank you

Trying to figure out how I'm going to take Model S ... 60 kilowatt hours ..... for cruise transportation to the Miami cruise terminal. What will I do during the week I wonder if there is a place for charging during the week or afterwards if I will need to top up somewhere. Any suggestions are much appreciated thank you

theres a Tesla showroom on Lincoln Rd in S Beach. I recall reading they have a HPWC at the store and will let you use it during business hours(I'd call ahead). Lincoln Rd has a bunch of great bars and restaurants. It would be a fun place to hang out and people watch while you car gets fed too.

Have fun.

Steve,

If you check the interactive map for 2014 you'll see that a Supercharger station is already planned for that area near the intersection of I-75 and I-10. I've been calling it Lake City, but it could be Live Oak.

The problem is that its about 180 miles between the "Tampa" dot and the "Lake City" dot. That is too far apart, especially for 60 kWh batteries. I have suggested to the Supercharger team that instead of installing the "St. Augustine" Supercharger station on the initial roll-out, they should consider first installing a Supercharger station in the Gainesville/Ocala region. The St. Augustine Supercharger dot is only 50 miles from the existing Port Orange Supercharger and about 50 miles from the planned Jacksonville Supercharger, so this could be deferred in the initial roll-out until the gaps in the center of the state are addressed.

Installing a Supercharger in say Ocala would split the distance on I-75 between Tampa and Lake City in half to make the trip to Tallahassee less problematic. The Supercharger team executive seemed interested in the idea, but obviously they aren't in a position to commit at this time.

i think the Gainesville / Ocala spot also would be good, but would think that Tesla would be more interested in putting one at the I-10 intersection with I-4 because of volume and the beginning of the east west span across I 10 from Jacksonville. I too always wondered why they were going to do something around St Augustine when they have Port Orange and are planning Jacksonville. It makes a lot more sense to do the Live Oak/Lake City or a Gainesville spot first, especially with a Tampa SC in place.

i think the Gainesville / Ocala spot also would be good, but would think that Tesla would be more interested in putting one at the I-10 intersection with I-4 because of volume and the beginning of the east west span across I 10 from Jacksonville. I too always wondered why they were going to do something around St Augustine when they have Port Orange and are planning Jacksonville. It makes a lot more sense to do the Live Oak/Lake City or a Gainesville spot first, especially with a Tampa SC in place.

Steve,

Yes, I think we are in agreement. Tesla is already planning to install the Supercharger at the intersection of I-95 and I-10. I am saying in addition to that Supercharger station we need one in the Gainesville/Ocala area to handle that very long stretch between Lake City and Tampa before they install one at St. Augustine.

Larry

- - - Updated - - -

Key west-I was almost stuck up there.

There is info on Key West charging in the Florida Enthusiasts group forum. You will need to email Larry Chanin to join, but it's easy.

Gynob001 if you are interested in joining our Florida Tesla club, please email me at [email protected] or click on my signature to be taken to our sign-up page. Once you are a member you will be able to access our private discussion group to obtain advanced information about charging in Key West.

Larry

I know LawSteve already mentioned this in the Supercharger mega-thread, but posting the question here may yield better results. The new supercharger roll-out map completely eliminates a Tampa/St. Pete location. I've already sent an email to Dave at Tampa's Service/Sales Center, but he has yet to respond. I realize that locations and timeframes can change, however the complete removal of the Tampa location is very puzzling.

A quick check shows that the Tampa MSA is a top 20 Metro Area (population) and is more than just a city where people travel from. Travelers from Naples, Ft. Myers, Sarasota, Cape Coral etc.. will not be able to reach the future Live Oak supercharger with a 60kw and/or a X/Gen3 with a 200 mile range. We would have to criss-cross the state. Also, whatever happened to the Turkey Creek/Orlando location that a Tesla rep had mentioned previously? I apologize if I'm misremembering this :wink:

Though I don't currently own a Tesla, this really puts a dent in my plan for a Gen3 that that could travel 200 miles. My work as a consultant requires travel throughout the state, and I'm selfishly wanting the Tampa location back.