TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Suggested Tesla Supercharger locations in Texas

Discussion in 'Texas' started by dsm363, Mar 28, 2012.

1. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

I thought this was a good idea for a thread that Larry started over in the Florida section. Maybe Tesla will see this.

I think Tesla needs to put 3 or 4 Superchargers in the state to start. One should be in Columbus, TX for travel between Houston and San Antonio. People traveling from Austin to Houston and back might be able to use it too. One between Dallas, Houston and Austin would work as well.

2. W.Petefish

W.Petefish Active Member

Centerville would be ideal, but I don't see it happening. You also need one out west of Ft. Worth, like at Abilene.

Lets take Milage into account:
    144.53 from Abilene to Midland
    183 from Dallas to Abilene

118 from Centerville to Dallas
    112 from Centerville to Houston

72 from Colombus to Houston
    122 from Colombus to San Antonio

I think that this would cover most of Texas. You'd need 2 more if you were wanting to go to El Paso and 1 more to go to Lubbock.

3. Cattledog

Cattledog Active Member

Yes, midpoints + on interstates, think triangles. Houston/Dallas/San Antonio (with part way from Austin to Dallas as that leg's midpoint) - this is easily the primo triangle. Dallas/San Antonio/El Paso would require 3+ on the long legs, Dallas/Amarillo/Midland (which captures Wichita Falls, Lubbock, and Abilene), then kind of a diamond to the border that takes in Laredo/Brownsville/Corpus/San Antonio. But 3 chargers, one on each leg of the primo triangle, would be a great start.

4. W.Petefish

W.Petefish Active Member

5. dsm363

What about the Dallas to Austin then San Antonio run? Was thinking Temple, TX might work. 70 miles from Austin and 120 miles or so to Dallas.

6. mklcolvin

mklcolvin #P-5058

How about one in East Texas, say either Longview or Tyler?

7. W.Petefish

W.Petefish Active Member

I think the map was for people to add their suggested locations, and amend to others. Temple would make another good stop. I was trying to cover as much of the state as possible while using as few charging locations as possible. (I was also bored at 2:30 AM.) I was also trying to stray away from having the Superchargers in the major cities as they'd probably have 20KW access at hotels, movie theaters, etc.

8. mklcolvin

mklcolvin #P-5058

I was thinking along the lines of "how would people get into or out of Texas" on more of a national level. I figure if Texas has ways to get between it's major cities, then all would be needed would be routes to get to that infrastructure. I agree with having the Superchargers away from major cities is probably better - as long as the city supports EV charging (few & far between right now AFAIK).

9. dsm363

If the Superchargers are limited to start, I think access for people between the major 4 cities is the place to start. Then they can focus on routes into and out of Texas.

10. W.Petefish

W.Petefish Active Member

Maybe one along the I-10 along the route to New Orleans.

11. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

I tend to head either north on 377/177/77 or west on 180.

12. sublimaze1

sublimaze1 8Dec2012 / Leeroy Jenkins

Madisonville, Texas - preferably the Buc ee's (essentially half way between Dallas and Houston)

13. DriverOne

DriverOne Member

Rather than pick spots to place "Supercharger booths", I think Tesla is more likely to partner with say, McDonalds, Starbucks, or Exxon to place Superchargers at places already supplied with electricity & restrooms, and able to feed & drink while you wait. In that case we should see them bloom all over the place.

14. Babylonfive

Babylonfive Power12

Any update here? Anyone heard anything exciting on the Texas SC front? Any chance that Elon will announce SCs for Texas when he's here for SXSW? <dreamy look>

15. NCIC

NCIC Member

Does Blink or ChargePoint list their future installations? I was unpleasantly surprised to find that the free charger in Tyler at their Fresh Grocery store requires a membership with ChargePoint unless you have a credit card with an RFID chip in it.

16. Cattledog

Cattledog Active Member

Conference Call: Superchargers going into Texas. Yes!

17. stephenpace

stephenpace VIN S00219

I highly recommend getting a ChargePoint card, especially if you ever plan to travel to Austin. ChargePoint has an option for a small one time payment (no monthly fee) to sign-up and you'll be able to use any of their chargers without having to fool around with single activation via credit card.

18. allanb4me

allanb4me Member

do they have any set dates for set up of each supercharger or does it depends on availability :p
    I think the state governments also should set up many many superchargers.
    This will help the economy so much as everyone would want to buy an EV.
    Finally we can forget Oil and i will watch the Next movie "An EV revolution!" :)

19. ggies07

ggies07 Active Member

I think it will help out the Texas economy a lot. We drive EVERYWHERE and have to because there is so much space, unlike the NE. Once there is an affordable car for the everyday man, I think EVs will take off.

20. KenEE

KenEE P1937 Reward Excellence!

Anything on the call about Superchargers in Texas?