Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Suggestion: Automatic Warning if Key Fob Left in Car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Am I the only absent-minded Tesla owner who sometimes leaves his key fob in the car? I've done it at least a dozen times in two years. One common circumstance is after picking up the car from a valet, many of whom leave the fob in the cup holder, where it stays.

My previous car was a Lexus that buzzed up a storm if I left the fob behind. Now I usually discover the mistake after the car has been left unlocked for 15-20 minutes--during which time it was ripe for car theft.

Is there a reason why Tesla couldn't add a feature like the Lexus buzzer to help the absent-minded boneheads among us?

If I left the key in the car, the car itself would begin buzzing as soon as I closed the door. Anyone near the car could hear it.

I assume Tesla could add this to an OTA firmware update, with an opt-out for owners who don't want the feature.

I noticed the same suggestion was made yesterday in the post "Warning - Model X Locking Itself with key inside."

Last edited:
It’s going on a year since I made this simple, conventional suggestion. The problem has surfaced in several other threads as well.

So I’m repeating the suggestion. I know there are are a lot of absent minded owners who would value this feature.

Curious how the Lexus feature worked -- how far away did you need to get before it buzzed you that you'd left the fob in the car?

And how did it buzz you? Or did the car just sit there buzzing for everybody?
My Toyota (which presumably has the same system as on the Lexus), had a touch sensor on the door handle. Touch it and the door locks. BUT, if the key fob was still in the vehicle, you would get a continuous, unmistakable tone until you opened the door. Since Teslas don't have a way to manually lock the doors from the outside other than the fob, this method wouldn't work.

I notice that the Tesla Model 3 has a feature that sounds like what we are talking about here, although I can't be sure. Here is how it is described: "Model 3 is now able to emit confirmation sounds when locked, unlocked, or if there is a mislock (for example, if a door is not fully closed)". It can be optionally enabled.

Tesla has been known to promote the endless opportunities of their software focused cars. And to avoid any upgrade called for by consumers after they first present a car. I bet for every example they did listen, there are many that most owners would love to have.

This dynamic makes Teslas far removed from their potential, at their today's (or 2012's) implemented hardware and tech level. One of my main concerns wit h the brand. A if they operate in a vacume not affected by users or competitors.
The Norway service issue adds to that, not backing up sales fast enough when problems are a mathematical certainty.

Is this a company too CEO focused, limiting development of details?