Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Suggestion: Driver Profile and Key Fobs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is a very easy solution that gets us 90% there though.

When you currently hold the open button on the key fob for a little while, it opens the windows. This can instead be a configurable action, so I would instead set press-and-hold to switch to one of the driver profiles.

And it doesn't need to be key-fob specific - it can just do the same thing from all fobs.

Is this still possible, and if so, where is the action configured?

Thanks!

Thanks for this post! New owner here. Love my MS. Truly.
I was hoping that the key fobs sent a specific ID, that being said, I would even hope for a compromise, that the app would let
me change the driver upon entry. Maybe from one of the screens. I too am much taller than my wife and its a bit of a circus act
for me to change it. Door memory is also a good idea (but won't work for us!)
I also like the key fob trick idea. Like for my setting I click trunk and top at same time. Or whatever.
A final idea, I'm not sure if the windows go down prior to "starting" the car, but we could use the window down button for up
to 4 profiles (each window). So as I enter, I press the driver window down, and it sets my profile. Again, not sure if window
down prior to foot on brake puts the window down.
Great post though

Thanks for this post! New owner here. Love my MS. Truly.
I was hoping that the key fobs sent a specific ID, that being said, I would even hope for a compromise, that the app would let
me change the driver upon entry. Maybe from one of the screens. I too am much taller than my wife and its a bit of a circus act
for me to change it. Door memory is also a good idea (but won't work for us!)
I also like the key fob trick idea. Like for my setting I click trunk and top at same time. Or whatever.
A final idea, I'm not sure if the windows go down prior to "starting" the car, but we could use the window down button for up
to 4 profiles (each window). So as I enter, I press the driver window down, and it sets my profile. Again, not sure if window
down prior to foot on brake puts the window down.
Great post though

My understanding from talking to my service advisor is that while the "windows down" option can still be set up by a service center to work for your car, it can no longer be set to control any other function, as it had been in the past. So there is no way to use the key fob to select a driver profile.

It would be fantastic if Tesla added the ability to select a driver profile to the apps (both android and Apple.) But app improvement does not seem to be high on the priority list, so I wouldn't count on that any time soon.

For now I'm sorry to say your best bet might be to do what I have done: attempt to get your wife to select your profile before she exits the car any time there is any chance that you will be driving the car next.