Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Suggestion for Tesla: allow sharing of residential charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Destination chargers pretty much Tesla selling their clients to hotels and resorts. By only including them, they try to direct Tesla owners to these businesses. They are of very limited use for charging. Only if you stay there you might be able to charge. Mostly there is only one charger. In 3.5 years and 125k miles and lots of road trips I have never charged a single time at a destination charger, but at hundreds of public chargers.
Your experience is the opposite of mine. Maybe things are different in California. Almost every hotel with destination charging except the small B&Bs have two HPWCs, and some have a Tesla-provided J1772 as well. I've never seen another Tesla at any of these hotels so no problem charging. As Bonnie said, I preferentially book these hotels so I can charge there. Much better than any ChargePoint or Blink J1772 that is either broken, occupied, ICEd, or in an inconvenient location for a long charge. With Tesla's range there isn't much need for public J1772s other than for charging overnight at a hotel.

No, I am not a Tesla owner, yet (I am a model 3 reservation holder). Yes, I know that home charging is not meant for traveling on the go. I just thought that since plugshare does it, that it could not hurt to make it an option on the Tesla map too, to consolidate charging locations in one location. I just thought it could be a nice option, that's all. Yes, it was well meaning even if the consensus seems to be that it is not needed.

But thank you for your reply. :)
as others have noted your idea would just add unnecessary clutter to the screen for something of little value to most owners. please keep trying, maybe you'll hit on a good one.

No, it's free for anyone who needs it. I don't know of anyone on plugshare that offers their house for charging that actually charge a fee. No one has ever asked to use my charger though.

However, I DID use/charge at another member's house in Arizona for our road trip there. The city we stayed in did not have any superchargers nearby but a member happened to live 1 block away from my family we were staying at. It was very generous of him to offer me to charge until full so that on our way home, we could start with a full charge rather than half empty and needing to stop right away at the first supercharger.

This type of usage I have no problem with. I just do not see myself or anyone opening their home for some stranger to use it on a regular basis.
FWIW: when I was in Breckenridge CO another TMC member had a condo up the street and offered it to me if needed. I didn't need it because the unit I was in had an underground garage with 110 service and there was a public free of charge chargepoint a few blocks away in town.
like others have noted the expansion of the SpC network and more and more hotels installing chargers the need to find a local who can offer a charge isn't a needed emergency option like it was in the early days.

I would think that Tesla wouldn't want to give the impression that they are responsible for these chargers. However, I could see an option to enable 3rd party destination chargers along with a warning that they aren't responsible for their maintenance. Maybe they could even partner with an existing site (i.e., allow you to link your plugshare account to your Tesla account).

I don't think it would hurt to add the option of a PlugShare overlay on the nav maps. Of course, it should be "off" by default.

Being in a mountain resort area with limited charging options, we still get PlugShare visitors at our home on occasion. From here, the nearest Supercharger is about 45 minutes each way. My goal in remaining on PlugShare is to help provide some range assurance. One of our recent visitors had a brand new Chevy Bolt and was just getting used to its capabilities. He was very grateful for the charge!

I don't think Tesla has approved vacation rentals for the destination charging program.

Yes, they have. My Vacation Rental in Flagstaff has one installed, and is on the map.

The other issue with the Tesla in-car map is that it's cluttered with places you can't actually use....like a Hotel where you have to be a guest or other random listings without any info or data to know if it's a legit spot without actually driving by. At least with Plugshare you can see ratings and check ins from previous users, as well as filter the results any way you like.....much more useful.

The best is to use Tesla for the Supercharger info....and everything else just use Plugshare.

• Informative
Reactions: DR61
Well, I am not suggesting that people use it instead of the supercharger. It would be for emergencies. Maybe I have a little range anxiety that I did not know I had. I am just thinking what if you do get stranded and need an emergency charge. Having all those residential chargers on the tesla map could really help.

But I am fine with keeping things the way they are. After all, we do have plugshare for finding those other charging locations. :)

Plugshare app is free for signing up and if you travel at all or are in a sudden unexpected pinch is a nice resource to have and well organized. It also lists lots of public J1772 charging sites that you can go to using the appropriate charging adapter the car will come with. And BTW you can also use Plugshare's filter to bring up Tesla HPWC units as well. We're fairly new to Tesla and I understand the anxiety of will I have enough to get home/destination? You really only need to charge enough (maybe with a little extra cushion) to get you to the next charging point. If you ask your car to give you directions to a certain point it will calculate the route and let you know approximately how much battery you will have left. The car will also tell you to reduce your speed if necessary to conserve battery to make it there. I think once you have your car and spend a few months with it, you'll understand why a separate listing as proposed isn't really necessary. That plus Tesla is adding a boat load of new Superchargers and a lot of destination charging stations (L2s) are also coming on board.

Out of curiousity will you be a M3 owner without a garage or charging setup available at home? Wondering if that's part of the anxiety you have.

In the meantime while you wait for your M3, Tesla will probably come out with a downloadable operating manual and you can start to get familiar with it ahead of time. They also will put up videos specific to the vehicle which are helpful to watch. Great looking car!

Out of curiousity will you be a M3 owner without a garage or charging setup available at home? Wondering if that's part of the anxiety you have.

I don't have a lot of range anxiety. I can charge at my house and I also live within 5 miles of a supercharger. I am not worried about local driving. The one long distance trip I sometimes make is 340 miles one way but there are 4 superchargers along the highway I take, so the trip should be very doable if I am prudent. There is also a place 160 miles away that is pretty rural that might be tough to do but I don't think I will need to make that trip very often. My future model 3 will be my first EV ever. So while I am super excited about owning a Tesla and never pumping gas again, it will definitely be a new experience for me.

We have our 10K juice box on plug share. We live a block from a mall and we get the odd person from out of town asking to use it. One has showed up. They hooked up for a couple hours and went on their way. Most head for the fast charger although it is in a boring part of town. It's there if someone needs it.

I would think that Tesla wouldn't want to give the impression that they are responsible for these chargers. However, I could see an option to enable 3rd party destination chargers along with a warning that they aren't responsible for their maintenance. Maybe they could even partner with an existing site (i.e., allow you to link your plugshare account to your Tesla account).
have you ever heard of blink,chargepoint, evgo and others? all are 3rd party charger operators with zero ties to tesla. all are visible on the plugshare ap, l don't think additional clutter on the nav screen is needed.

have you ever heard of blink,chargepoint, evgo and others? all are 3rd party charger operators with zero ties to tesla. all are visible on the plugshare ap, l don't think additional clutter on the nav screen is needed.
I have heard of them, I just used PlugShare as an example. I don’t sent any problem giving people the option to show chargers from third party sources. If you don’t need it, then don’t enable it.

Got my Tesla in 2013. !st trip wouldn't have been possible without help from a charger shown on Plugshare. It was a remote area but there was a Tesla owner right around the corner from friends we were visiting. As with most private home chargers, you need to make contact first and plan a mutually agreeable time, which was easy. Things are better today, but there are still places where charging options are limited, or drivers experience range loss due to temperature drops, detours etc.

Also, J1772, CHAdeJO, etc can be a crap-shoot. You might be surprised when you pull in and find chargers that don't work, EV stalls being ICEd, ets. And public chargers aren't all equal. Many home NEMA 14-50s or HPWC charge much faster than J1772s which do not all have the same output power.

Plugshare people aren't expecting regular charging, but most are generous people doing a great service to help EV owners in a pinch. I think of it as supplemental or underground infrastructure. Kudos to those people for advancing the cause and helping fellow humans in their hour of need.

At my 34 mph charging speeds, I guess I would also need to provide dinner and several drinks for my charging guests to make the hour+ stop worthwhile. Or maybe I can have them vacuum my swimming pool to kill an hour. You people listing your homes on Plugshare are generous, yes, but also are nuts -- and the OP thinks the nutty concept should be adopted by Tesla. I give up.
Yes, I think a PlugShare overlay should be an option. If you don't want to participate, that's fine.

We simply tell our PlugShare guests that we are within walking distance of restaurants, a public park, and hiking trails. As our charging station is outdoors, they are on their own. If we have time to chat, we may do so, but there's no obligation. I'm not sure why you think this is so "nutty".

I don't think Tesla has approved vacation rentals for the destination charging program.

Just found an airbnb home on their destination chargers page.
rbnbTesla.JPG