Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Suggestion for Tesla: how to maximize Supercharger power output between paired stalls

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If I'm at a supercharger, I want to minimize my time there as I'm travelling. So any chance for full rate, I want that. Car should tell us the best likely stall to use.

Now for the OP, the urban superchargers already do the half and half split where there are lots of locals (and lots of coffee and cafe options). Peak rate is 72kw and no sharing power.

Seems like Tesla is already solving this problem in their fashion. Where they expect dense locals, they build Urban. Where they expect travel, they build classic. Where there is both, they build monster stations if they can.

The Supercahrgers are capable of 144kW, but currently cars top out at ~120kW. So splitting capacity in half would be 72kW per car.
Well, I guess I'm still capable of learning something new every day! I thought the charger capacity was 120kW; In the case of the charger capacity being 144kW, as you state,
Everyone is being partially right here. Superchargers have been at different power levels through the years, and some sites are still at different power levels than others. The earliest ones were 90kW. Then, a really large section of the build-out was 120kW. Then, they started going with 135kW. Then, I think the 144kW.
They have done some going back and upgrading some older ones. I think all of the 90kW sites did get upgraded to some higher power level. There are still a lot of the 120kW sites still running that way, but I think some have been upgraded to 135 or 144. The urban Superchargers, which supply about 72kW are obviously the 144kW total power, because they are just enforcing a 50/50 power split all the time.

Had an odd occurrence yesterday. Stopped at Rocklin SC (busy SC, mostly full). Only option was a paired station. Started at 75 kW (not bad), said it would take 50 minutes to charge 10% to 80%. Went for a walk.
When returned close to the 50 minute deadline found:
- only 50% charged
- charging at 21 kW
- the car in my paired set had changed to a different car

My understanding is that I should have received more charge after the paired car left but instead it seems the paired car was taking most of the power. The new paired car left after 15 minutes and my charge rate immediately jumped up to 50 kW. Overall, it took about an extra 30 minutes to get my 80% charge.

Either the pairing is not working as designed or there was some skullduggery where the new car reset my charge so he could take the most charge.

Any thoughts?

Either the pairing is not working as designed or there was some skullduggery where the new car reset my charge so he could take the most charge.
We...don't really talk about that trick. You just hope you don't encounter someone who knows about it to steal 1st priority. But if someone had done that, it would show charging interrupted messages on your mobile app.

Users need to know that Tesla is doing what they can to optimize the total charging capability of the entire facility.

Of course they could throw some more $ at it and put gauges on every stall or configure a car display to somehow measure just how much is left for each paired stall, but while it would make the people charging able to optimize their individual stall choice, it would do little for increasing the total amount of energy put out at any given time.