Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Suggestion: How Tesla could implement Vehicle to Load

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There are other companies that make home batteries. You're not relegated to only using Powerwall.

True, although it does seem nice that the powerwall uses the same app as the car... not saying that's a huge benefit or anything.

Isn't Powerwall also the best price per kWh too?

Perhaps it's a hint of OCD, but there's something in me that prefers to buy from a familiar vendor. It's like many of my power tools are the same brand. That's probably more to do with battery interoperability though.

Having your Tesla as a backup power source sounds great, but I would not want to jury-rig an inverter to it, for fear of damaging the electronics, etc. If there were an in-house Tesla solution, fine.

Especially since installing a transfer switch and using a generator to get 1k to 2k watts of power to power essentials is not all that expensive and doesn't run the risk of damaging my expensive vehicle. As it is now, I have a 2000 watt inverter generator that cost $350, that connects to an isolated(not connected to my utility box) receptacle outdoors that powers an outlet hidden in my kitchen. I connect the pellet stove to it, and two fridges when there's a long outage.

Reactions: davewill
That's not a bad idea. You should tweet it at Elon and see what he says. He may just hire you on the spot!
No Twitter (or other social media accounts) for me. Feel free to steal the idea and tweet it at him yourself though. As a Model 3 owner with a PowerWall, I'd be happy enough if they were just able to implement it. I've got to think that someone else already thought of it, and there's a technical reason they can't proceed.

No Twitter (or other social media accounts) for me. Feel free to steal the idea and tweet it at him yourself though. As a Model 3 owner with a PowerWall, I'd be happy enough if they were just able to implement it. I've got to think that someone else already thought of it, and there's a technical reason they can't proceed.
It could just be the company just doesn't have enough bandwidth to take something like that on and they don't view it as a high enough priority to bump down some other project to address it.

Hello Everyone! I’m looking to pick everyone’s brain. I know that Tesla is finally discussing the future of V2L but I’m wondering about the possibility of any current way to add this feature. My PCU appears to be biting the dust as I am getting the dredded PCS_a013_chgPrechargeFailedBoost error and am limited to 14 miles of range charging even at 32A.

I was hoping that spending the mo way for a new PCU would not be in vain (or that I would have to spend more in the future for a potential upgrade from Tesla to V2L).

My car is a 2018 M3 LR DM. With under 70k miles (and I’m super disappointed by this fault). I am also considering a ghost upgrade in the future for the car.

Thanks for any info or ideas you have.

:)

Elon did say that all (newly built) Tesla models will support V2L within 2 years. What that really means is anyone's guess (as is the timeline).
They could mean a socket in the car like the Cybertruck has. A bunch of vehicles have a similar feature, the smallest one I'm aware is the Honda e.

They could also put it in the charge port with an adapter, like Hyundai has (they sell an accessory that plugs into the J1772).

Reactions: Cosmacelf