Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Suggestion of Charging in New York City

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Planning for 3 days long trip in NYC ... I understand there are 'more charging stations in NYC than gas station' as Tesla mentioned multiple times, however, looking at their map, pretty much all of them are inside parking lot or private facilities avaliable for patrons only. I don't mind to pay for parking/charging, but I am concern that once I got into the $40/hr lot, the only charger inside is being used by some other EV. Any suggestion from New Yorker? :)

Where in NYC will you be? (what neighborhood) -- there are dozens of destination chargers in NYC. I am sure you can find somewhere to charge.

Will be around Queens/Flushing ... Yes, I see a lot of destination chargers in NYC, but almost all of them are inside parking lot. I am just worrying that it will be blocked by non-EV or being used by another EV. Any hotel/hotel chain has destination charger?

You can always call the garage that you plan on charging at before you arrive. BTW there are not really that many garages in that part of queens, (and you should be able to find plenty of on-street parking.) That said, the parking cost at the garages with an EVSE will be significantly cheaper than in Manhattan. so that is a plus.

unfortunately, when checking plugshare, i only see 2 J1772 EVSE in/near Flushing. One is at Queens College and it is free to charge but you need a parking permit to park at this lot. I will say however, that showing up with a BEV to use an EVSE probably buys you some good graces with the locals and they won't mind that you are parking there. YMMV.

There is a second garage with a J1772 plug is Sylvan Kissena Garage. they charge 0.49/kWh and i HIGHLY doubt the EVSE will be unavailable when you arrive. I would call ahead 1st in any case!

That said, Flushing is not all that far from JFK supercharger, you could stop by in the evening to replenish some electrons. Traffic to/from JFK can be soul crushing between 9:00 am and 10 PM. I checked now and it is 40 minutes or more to go 10 miles. but it is rush hour in NYC at the moment. outside the above mentioned times you can drive the 10 miles from flushing to JFk in 10-15 minutes. honestly this is what I would do.

• Informative
Reactions: pchan
I usually try to max out at a SC before driving into NY and then try to leave the car parked. You just need to make sure you have enough miles to make it to the first SC on the way home. I have seen destination chargers in parking lots that end up being exclusively for monthly parkers - very frustrating so you need to call ahead to be sure.

Reactions: pchan and kort677
Planning for 3 days long trip in NYC ... I understand there are 'more charging stations in NYC than gas station' as Tesla mentioned multiple times, however, looking at their map, pretty much all of them are inside parking lot or private facilities avaliable for patrons only. I don't mind to pay for parking/charging, but I am concern that once I got into the $40/hr lot, the only charger inside is being used by some other EV. Any suggestion from New Yorker? :)

Mist ICON parking lots have chargers available for $10 plus parking charge.