Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

suggestion on installation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
just like to get ideas for future install of the wall charger in the garage. it's a 4 car garage tandem, the wall charger will be installed bu the breaker box on the wall, but the tesla to be will be parked in the far end. I can either just have the cable on the floor or has anyone loop it through the ceiling and down to the area of the Tesla? With such install, has anyone use retractable cable?

Thanks

I use a big hook (used to hang bicycles) on the ceiling. One loop is enough to keep the end off the floor, but the car is right next to the wall with the charger. The cord lays on the floor while charging (goes around the back of the car).

I loop mine over rafters on the ceiling of the garage. Be sure your final support from above is outside of where the car will rest, or it is difficult to keep the cable from resting against the paint while plugged in.

I thought about a retractable cable system, but for me it turned out to be unnecessary. My garage is pretty small and I just attach the charge plug to the wall out of the way when not in use. I thought of using a system of putting a garden hose pulley (those used to keep the hose from damaging plants) as the final support. Then you could just push the charge head up, out of the way, with the extra cable being taken up by the sag in the cable before the pulley. Didn't need it, so never tried it.