Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Suggestion to Elon Musk: Require override to move Model X when FWD is open.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, not sure why there is ANY debate regarding this. I'm very anti nanny systems but this is a low effort / low inconvenience / high reward effort.

When does one get something, good fast and cheap? This is one of those scenarios.

Making this post early before anything happens to me personally at least has shielded me from criticisms of "learn to pay attention, idiot.".

It's not MY car, YOU pay attention idiot. ;)

At least you can give up all hope and don't need to sympathize with anyone who manages to still wreck their doors after this.

YOU HAD TO PUSH A BUTTON TO INSIST DRIVING WITH FWD OPEN. GO TO HELL.

Same... day 1 of a new truck I go through the motions of turning off the annoying seatbelt alarm.
There's nothing wrong with a system that stops a vehicle and forces you to think about what you are doing.

I think about the summon incident of a few years ago where the guy went into the convenience store and the car drove into a truck and the cargo went through the windshield.
It sounded like he may have initiated summon by accident and walked away... the display prompting the driver to cancel summon.
After the incident, didn't Tesla change it so the prompt was asking you to confirm the request rather than cancel it?
That is the right way to go about these 'features' on any vehicle.

Reactions: dogldogl and MXWing
When driving an MX, one can become accustomed/immune to hearing warning chimes and sounds. Requiring a button press to move the car with FWD open is a great idea and has little/no downside.
Finally someone gets it.
Contrarian posts: “I’m so much better than you cause I’m 100% attentive, 100% of the time. You should be too”

The value of the beeps diminishes rapidly when the chances of something bad happen vary by more than an order of magnitude. Beeping to indicate seatbelts aren't on pretty much removes any sense of urgency from the phenomenon. Most drivers' reaction to beeping is to keep moving while trying to figure out which nanny is nagging them because most of the causes of beeping aren't in the realm of "you should stop driving right now because something bad *will* happen right now". True, beeping is also used for proximity sensors, which do recommend an immediate action. But the driver tends to be focused on obstacles already when they are doing their job.

Also, with regular doors they swing in the direction of travel so if they hit something they'll likely be knocked shut or simply opened further. In many cases there is no damage. In others there may be a dent. If you catch a door and force it open too far it probably will still even work mostly, at least enough to drive until you can get it fixed. By contrast a FWD gets hit perpendicular to its direction of travel so pretty much any impact immediately does fairly significant damage and nearly always makes the door non-functional and the car (at least mostly) undrivable.

I don't think a variant on a beep is the right way to deal with this. I made the suggestion on FB that perhaps they should instead use the sound system to play the sound of a FWD crunching and breaking from the speaker of the open door. That seems to grab driver's attention much more reliably and quickly than a beep. But I think that requiring an acknowledgement/override from the driver is also an excellent idea.

I don't think a variant on a beep is the right way to deal with this. I made the suggestion on FB that perhaps they should instead use the sound system to play the sound of a FWD crunching and breaking from the speaker of the open door. That seems to grab driver's attention much more reliably and quickly than a beep. But I think that requiring an acknowledgement/override from the driver is also an excellent idea.

That is a clever idea, but in reality it would piss you off and you are likely to end up getting out of the car to check if there was some actual damage. So I think bleeping, prominent pop-up visual warning and to cap it off an override button are plenty enough to be going on with!

Contrarian posts: “I’m so much better than you cause I’m 100% attentive, 100% of the time. You should be too”

Nope, non existent problem solved by personal responsibility... I'd rather they focus on fixing software bugs as I'm tired of rebooting multiple times per week because my LTE signal disappears or waiting 30 seconds when I get in for "systems to power up" or...

Jeff

@jeffro01 not saying they shouldn't fix your bugs but this is low effort, high reward. And see @Nuclear Fusion response.

I've had a few snarky people / Tesla short sellers scoff at "my car" but guess what - not MY car bitch.

Don't need something terrible to happen to me personally before I will advocate for others.

Reactions: dogldogl
@jeffro01 not saying they shouldn't fix your bugs but this is low effort, high reward. And see @Nuclear Fusion response.

I've had a few snarky people / Tesla short sellers scoff at "my car" but guess what - not MY car bitch.

Don't need something terrible to happen to me personally before I will advocate for others.

Along the same lines, why doesn't the car physically prevent you from driving into obstacles when manoeuvring at parking speeds? Some other cars already do that and there is now a half-assed nod to reducing power when close to objects, but why stop at that? Again you could have an override for when you want to park an inch away from your garage wall or whatever.

Along the same lines, why doesn't the car physically prevent you from driving into obstacles when manoeuvring at parking speeds? Some other cars already do that and there is now a half-assed nod to reducing power when close to objects, but why stop at that? Again you could have an override for when you want to park an inch away from your garage wall or whatever.

Those aren't bad ideas. In my situation a Wife/Mother-In-Law mode would do wonders to reduce my anxiety levels.

Every nanny option enabled on the book would be awesome.

A few inches from a barrier but car set in D mode, - confirm!
Car "in gear" with FWD deployed? - confirm!
Doors open while car "in gear? - shift to park!
Wife brings in a cup of hot tea without a lid? - Refuse to leave Park mode!

Those aren't bad ideas. In my situation a Wife/Mother-In-Law mode would do wonders to reduce my anxiety levels.

Every nanny option enabled on the book would be awesome.

A few inches from a barrier but car set in D mode, - confirm!
Car "in gear" with FWD deployed? - confirm!
Doors open while car "in gear? - shift to park!
Wife brings in a cup of hot tea without a lid? - Refuse to leave Park mode!

I agree. There is no reason to drive with the FWD open. None.

Nope, non existent problem solved by personal responsibility... I'd rather they focus on fixing software bugs as I'm tired of rebooting multiple times per week because my LTE signal disappears or waiting 30 seconds when I get in for "systems to power up" or...

Jeff

Non-existent? I think I see a new thread with FWD-open damage at least once every 3 months. I am sure there are many more instances of this happening, but people are too embarrassed to post.

This seems to be much more useful than "camping and party mode" that they are adding soon.

I agree. There is no reason to drive with the FWD open. None.

Except for parades.

+1
A great idea for an update.

Doors open, no movement until you override.
There is a far more common risk of accidentally driving before a door is fully closed, then there is of me wanting my doors open while I’m driving.

FWD are a novel addition, but our garages aren’t built for them.
I have cracked my glass twice hitting my garage door motor hanging from the ceiling.

Doors take time to close, and we are all in a hurry. I often don’t realize my doors aren’t completely closed as I start to move.

I appreciate the door ajar warnings....but we all shift into drive and go. You can do a LOT of damage in the 1/2 second it takes to shift, hear the chime, and take corrective action.

If nothing else, this should be an “option”.
“Require override to move if doors are ajar”

Glad I own a car that gets better every day!

• Love
There is a reproducible audio warning glitch under the following circumstances. Passenger door and hatchback open while car is in park. When model x is put in reverse audio warning sounds. When passenger door is closed and car still in reverse audio warning goes silent although rear hatch back still open. Gives driver false impression that all doors and hatchback are closed leading to potential and actual accidents.

• Informative
There is a reproducible audio warning glitch under the following circumstances. Passenger door and hatchback open while car is in park. When model x is put in reverse audio warning sounds. When passenger door is closed and car still in reverse audio warning goes silent although rear hatch back still open. Gives driver false impression that all doors and hatchback are closed leading to potential and actual accidents.
This, you should submit as a bug report to Tesla. I’ve found the engineers responsive to reproducible, specific use-cases such as you describe.

Submitted already and escalated to manager level but no eta on a fix. Meanwhile still a clear and present danger apparently across the entire model x fleet so a warning notice to model x owners would be appropriate until the warning audio bug is fixed. This glitch is not present on the model s. I have not tested on a model 3 yet.