Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Suggestions for Improvement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ive had the car for a while now, these are just some thoughts for improvement

Exterior:
- Get rid of any incandescent lights (license plate lights and side indicators) its 2013 guys, incan’s are banned in some countries already.
- Change Headlights and Fog lamps to LED and choice of white or amber fogs (also LED)
- More Paint armor coverage or give an option for a full Xpel wrap
- Amber rear blinkers, where I am nobody is paying attention as it is, and trying to get their attention with red flashers is near impossible, bright amber ones are much more effective
- Chademo adapter included by default along with J1772?
- Power front trunk, the rear is already power, why not the front?
- Pano roof needs to be modified for less wind noise, in vent mode the noise is horrendous even at low speeds
- Going along with the pano roof change, the car doesn’t seem to be able to just have the vents open with no climate control, in my old car I could have the vent set to bring air from outside and my sunroof in vent mode so the momentum of the car pushes air through and I don’t have to have the fans running.
- A bigger 12v battery, with so many electronics running off the 12v there should really be something big like those 900cca AGM deep cycle batteries?
- Rear wiper blade, most hatch backs have this.

Interior:
- Use LED’s that have a consistent temperature in light output, in my vehicle some leds are approx. 6000K and some are 8000K, all different “colors” of led light hit the seat and it looks weird.
- The interior roof led optics are too collimated and end up with hot spots on the seats, try using a 170° wide angle lens to reduce the hot spot. If the LEDs were pointed exactly at the center of seat they were facing, it would not be as noticeable but they are pointed in all directions.
- Larger sun visors
- Sunvisors that are angled properly, when I open the mirror its pointing somewhere else?
- Better parcel shelf, it looks kind of cheap, and mine is already peeling at the seams because its glued together, also this should just be included, maybe modify the design so the parcel shelf will lift with the gate (as with most hatch backs)
- Better floor mats with hooks for both driver and passenger, even cheap kias come with embroidered carpets that are much thicker and higher quality
- More cubby holes, maybe 1 for sunglasses on the roof somewhere J
- Trunk and Frunk LEDs, use more powerful ones, the current ones are useless for finding anything in the dark. Maybe use 2 CREE XM-L LEDs but run them at a lower wattage for extended life, you should still be able to get 600-800 lumens at reduced power.
- Sound system, needs to be redone entirely, im sorry but its terrible, I paid $1000 it aint worth it. Judging by many forum posts, I share a similar view to others.

Software Changes
- Support for audio formats is great! (I can play ogg and flac! please support any future released formats and it will be perfect)
- Support reading from exFAT&NTFS (this is because windows is the most common OS and whenever anyone formats a large USB drive it goes to either NTFS or exFAT by default)
- Browsing the music is somewhat cumbersome when the usb drive has a very large selection, if possible make the alphabet scroll bar slightly thicker so its easier to press
- Music resume? Maybe its there and it didn’t find it but when I switch between radio and usb, it wont resume where I left off.
- Maybe this is overboard but support for video formats too? All formats? (video only available in park of course :D, the tegra 3 can handle some lower bitrate 1080p formats)
- Ability to override headlight defaulting to auto, its seriously annoying to have the headlights turn on every time I drive in the shadow of a building, the bulbs cycle like 8 times in one day and they will prematurely blow.
- Rear view camera overlay, have both car width and center line overlay on the back up camera like most other cars, maybe have an option to turn it on and off

I'd like to post my wishes here though I test drove one just two times. Also my wishes are from the viewpoints of Japanese and city dwellers so you may nit agree at all. But hey it's a global car and Tesla need to understand the different needs from various markets I believe.
- power folding door mirrors. it is sad I have to go out and close the mirror manually every time I park at the shoppong centers in Tokyo. the parkings are mechanical and both mirrors should be folded to park.
- better alignment of body parts. maybe the car I saw was bad but the alignment quality seems poorer compared with German and/or Italian similar priced cars. Looks more similar to "other" American cars...
- better seats. IMHO the cushion is too thin? also lacks lumber support...
- better interior quality, including leather and trims. currently I'm not sure Tesla wants to make it modern or classy, like wooden trims and plastic door handles (maybe recent cars have leather-covored door handles inside?) I would think if Tesla drives like M5, why not it looks like Maserati inside?
- low volume horn? when I drive around my home pedestrians and cyclists didn't notice the Model S approaching and they didn't make way for me. in narrow roads I could only drive 5mph. very low volume horn will tell them the approaching car and we could mutually give way.
- glove box closer to the driver. need to keep many plastic cards inside the car. charge station cards, car wash cards, parking cards, membership cards, toll road cards, driver's license, some changes for rural toll roads and parkings, etc. I think Japanese have too many cards!