Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Suggestions For Pit Marks On Windshield

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since delivery of our Model S on 12/29/16, our car has encountered 7 stones on our windshield leaving 4 pit marks. Seems statistically unreal, especially since our other vehicles haven't encountered this number on a combined basis over the same roads over several years. I'm guessing that the aerodynamics are causing a greater number to get sucked into the windshield. Wondering if others have encountered the same issue and if they have any ideas on how to mitigate the view of the unsightly pit marks.

I have read that more aerodynamic vehicles succom to more road damage.

There are some DIY kits you can buy to fill in smal chips and cracks. Basically the same stuff companies like Safelite use for windshield repair. Search for it on amazon.

Since delivery of our Model S on 12/29/16, our car has encountered 7 stones on our windshield leaving 4 pit marks. Seems statistically unreal, especially since our other vehicles haven't encountered this number on a combined basis over the same roads over several years. I'm guessing that the aerodynamics are causing a greater number to get sucked into the windshield. Wondering if others have encountered the same issue and if they have any ideas on how to mitigate the view of the unsightly pit marks.

If you are in Southern California I can suggest a small one-person outfit referred by the Tesla Service Center. did such a magnificent job on the pit I got early in 2013 that I almost cannot tell where the pit was. He established a vacuum over the pit before precision-injecting the repair resin. He charged $65 for that one pit. And he also came to our house like Safelite does. The pit never extended beyond its original spot. The key is to get the pits fixed soon. Considering the cost of a replacement windshield, I would get professionals to do the fixing.

Buddy/anilk, thanks for your suggestions! As I think more about this issue, I cannot help but wonder if the windshield was altered to accommodate the enhanced radar such that it's now more susceptible to pit marks. The stones that hit the windshield were small based on the sound made upon impact. Yet, they left pit marks. Taking the car to the SC for their review and input.