Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Suggestions for Rear Bumper Damage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

Last Saturday while my Model S was parked in a lot someone hit the rear bumper. :(

Attached are two pics of the damage (close up one I peeled back the wrap I have a little bit). Looking for suggestions on what I should do. Anyone else have something similar happen. Damage isn't that significant but I'm thinking a bumper replacement is probably the way to go and then I'll get it rewrapped.

Thanks!

yxu91bUSEnNEB2aN9

5wXm5vmDyfJ6ojSH8

Yes, definitely a replacement of the bumper cover. My most recent bumper repair I was able to convince the insurance company to pay the body shop to reassemble the car after the damage assessment is performed. That way, I could drive my car again for the eight weeks or so that it took the parts to come in. It took a few conversations, but I was able to convince the insurance company that the cost of an extra hour or two of labor to reattach the bumper, let me drive the car, and then remove the bumper again when the parts came in was way cheaper than eight weeks or so of a rental car.

+2 definitely have the bumper cover replaced. After replacement and PPF & Ceramic coating the total for a simple bumper cover cost $4,328.89 which to me just seems crazy. Thank goodness for uninsured motorist insurance as the person that bumped my car and did similar damage was listed specifically as "not covered on that vehicle" (granddaughter of the vehicle owner with an apparently abysmal driving record)

Thanks for the replies.

I reached out to one local Tesla approved body shop and they seem to think that the bumper should be repaired and not replaced. Waiting to hear back from another approved shop and from the driver's insurance company as well. Tesla Service gave me a quote on replacing the rear bumper assembly but they don't do paint. Even though I have a wrap I think I'd still like to have it painted. Tesla said they would be open to me getting the bumper painted elseware and then bringing it back to them for install though.

So I've got my quotes and I reached out to their insurance company about it. $650 is for the rewrap and redoing of Ceramic Pro. That needs to be done regardless. Option 1 is to get the bumper repaired and repainted at a Tesla-authorized shop which is around $2,200 and I'd be without my car for a week or more driving a gas loaner. Option 2 (which I prefer) is getting a new bumper from Tesla, taking the bumper to the same Tesla-authorized shop to have it painted and then taking the bumper and my car to Tesla to have them install it. This comes out to around $1500 ($400 Tesla and $1000 body shop) and I'm only without my car for a day or two while Tesla installs the new painted bumper and I'll get a Tesla loaner from them.

I provided all this information with quotes to their insurance company and they came back with the ridiculous estimate of $543. Waiting to hear back from them as I'd expect around $2,200 at a minimum.

Ugh...