Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Suggestions for recording video of dash/binnacle display?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Getting ready to start making some videos of AP in action and want to include what the car 'sees' via the binnacle display.

I have a small camera that I can mount that won't obstruct my vision but I'm having a hard time finding an ideal location.

Tried attaching it to the sun visor and while that works, unfortunately it also captures the steering wheel and my hands (when I need to touch the wheel to tell AP I'm there). It doesn't look horrible, but not ideal.

I then tried mounting it under the shading overhang directly above the binnacle display. This seems to be too close for the focal length of my camera and the view is a bit too zoomed in.

My current (tiny) camera doesn't have an adjustable focal length and seems to want to be mounted further away. But not sure how to mount it further away and yet not show steering wheel.

I've seen some YouTube videos were people have a suction cup mount and it's attached to the driver's side window and has a long flexible arm that terminates in a camera mount (often iPhone or sometimes small point and shoot camera). Might go that route as well but am looking for other options if possible because (A) I have tinted windows and would prefer not to put a heavy duty suction cup on them as to not strain the film and (B) this gives a bit of side-view of the binnacle display which is OK but not quite as nice looking IMO as a more straight on view.

Any one have any experience with setups like this for filming the binnacle display? Would love to get your input as to good combinations of cameras, mounts and mount locations. In the meantime I'll keep experimenting (next up is a gooseneck mount attached to one of the air vents) myself but thought I'd inquire with the community here to see if I could shortcut the trial-and-error process a bit. Thanks in advance.