Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Suggestions for towing 2 ebikes with model 3 LR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Late to this thread, but hopefully this is helpful. We have 2 e-bikes that each weigh 73lbs, this makes it very difficult to find a bike rack that would accommodate such heavy bikes. I just installed a stealth hitch and bought a Hollywood Sport Rider rack, it is a 2-bike rack that supports 80lbs per bike.

Hollywood Racks Sport Rider

Highly recommend this setup, extremely sturdy and easy to use. I need to remember to get a picture with the bikes on it though.

View attachment 841177
The exact same setup i'll have (Stealth Rack and Hollywood Racks Sport Rider. My eBikes won't be as heavy as yours though. Thanks for posting!

Reactions: DVM17
Do you have a pic of a Model 3 using a vertical rack with the bikes loaded? Could you use the 4 bike version on the Model 3
I lost my eco hitch a little over 2 years ago when I got hit by a rockslide and haven’t replaced it as they greatly expanded the trail network that starts from my house. Now I only really use the north shore on the back of my camper. 4 bikes + the rack is <160 lbs.

On the model 3 running ~60mph with 4 bikes loaded it decreased range by ~20%

Attachments

• 63792ED4-7C05-4950-B287-43595EC757A6.jpeg
    63792ED4-7C05-4950-B287-43595EC757A6.jpeg
    596 KB · Views: 105
Reactions: omkar
I lost my eco hitch a little over 2 years ago when I got hit by a rockslide and haven’t replaced it as they greatly expanded the trail network that starts from my house. Now I only really use the north shore on the back of my camper. 4 bikes + the rack is <160 lbs.

On the model 3 running ~60mph with 4 bikes loaded it decreased range by ~20%
Whoa, so the vertical rack with 4 bikes worked fine on your Model 3? Would you recommend that setup?

I have a 2021 Model 3 LR and this October, the wife and I are going to drive from Georgia to Florida and I would like to take our new ebikes with us. The problem I'm encountering so far is that the bike racks I see for the M3 are either ones that hang off the trunk, to which all I can think is "My paint! D:" and then the tow hitch option doesnt seem to work because one ebike weighs 53 pounds and the other weighs 80 pounds. From what I understand, using a tow hitch bike rack can only support like 100ish pounds.

Does anyone know of any options for something like an affordable pull behind specialty bike trailer or any suggestions of that sort?
Look at 1Up bike racks. If your tires are over 3", there is an extension available from 1Up for additional tire width. Taking 2 bikes is going to cut down your mileage a bit!

Whoa, so the vertical rack with 4 bikes worked fine on your Model 3? Would you recommend that setup?
Like I said earlier. I’ve been an avid cyclist for a long time. I started out in my teens road racing stage and criterium. In the mid 1990’s switched almost exclusively to MTB. Raced everything from XC to DH, now my teens and I all race enduro. We put in ~1k miles June through September all on dirt: mostly single track, XC, long multi day back country, bike packing,… even caribou hunt off bikes.

The first ~20 years I was pretty much only roof racks. ~12-15 years ago I got a very used hitch mount Yakama tray 2 bike cheep at a yard sale. From there I wished I had gone hitch mount way sooner. When I figured out I liked the hitch way more then roof bought a 1up 2 bike. For 1 or 2 bikes the 1up was nice. But when I got to the point where I was always hauling 3-4 bikes, no longer liked the 1up. The 4 bike version is huge and heavy and Super awkward to store when off the car. ~6-7 years ago I sold the 1up and got the vertical north shore. The north shore as compared to the 1up: easier to get bikes on/off, doesn’t obstruct other cars view of the tail lights, way easier to put the rack on/off and store it off the car. <half the price of a 1up,…

north shore won’t carry road bikes, but some of the verticals will.

Reactions: omkar
From what I understand, using a tow hitch bike rack can only support like 100ish pounds.
The Stealth Hitch web site claims a 300# tongue load limit for the 1 1/4" receiver, 350# for the 2" receiver:

I honestly don't care what they rate the hitch for. If you have ANY issues at all, Tesla isn't going to warranty it. Highly unlikely Stealth Hitches will cover anything other than issues with their issue. The issue lies where there is no damage to the hitch itself but it screws something up on the car. I'd look and see what Tesla rates a hitch for in another country for the 3.

Here is a quote and the direct reference.

Carrying Capacity- Accessories​

The towing package allows you to tow a trailer or carry an accessory (bicycles, skis, snowboards, etc.) with your Model 3.
The tow package includes a weight-carrying hitch with a 50 mm ball coupling that can support an accessory carrier. When carrying accessories, the ball coupling is designed to support vertical loads of up to 55 kg. When carrying bicycles or other items on the Model 3 hitch, always check to ensure that the maximum weight is not exceeded. Maximum weight capacity for the tow hitch depends on the number of occupants in the vehicle:

Reactions: tm3lrawd
I honestly don't care what they rate the hitch for. If you have ANY issues at all, Tesla isn't going to warranty it. Highly unlikely Stealth Hitches will cover anything other than issues with their issue. The issue lies where there is no damage to the hitch itself but it screws something up on the car. I'd look and see what Tesla rates a hitch for in another country for the 3.

Here is a quote and the direct reference.

Carrying Capacity- Accessories​

The towing package allows you to tow a trailer or carry an accessory (bicycles, skis, snowboards, etc.) with your Model 3.
The tow package includes a weight-carrying hitch with a 50 mm ball coupling that can support an accessory carrier. When carrying accessories, the ball coupling is designed to support vertical loads of up to 55 kg. When carrying bicycles or other items on the Model 3 hitch, always check to ensure that the maximum weight is not exceeded. Maximum weight capacity for the tow hitch depends on the number of occupants in the vehicle:

I agree with what you said about the warranty aspect. For the capacity comment, their vertical load capacity (tongue weight) doesn't make sense. They say 55kg but rate the Model 3 for towing 2000lbs in Europe. Tongue weights are typically 10-15% of the towing capacity (200-300lbs in this case), so 300-350lbs should be of no concern on the hitch.

I agree on the tongue weight %, and I usually go with 10%. I think the aspect you might be overlooking is the potential lever arm of the bike rack can exert a lot more torque. There is a reason they used that amount for a rack. It is likely conservative but it is what they committed to.

Tesla in the US will try and deny anything they can based on my experience. So why give them any more ammunition so to speak? At least you have something you can quote from the EU models. There is a reason they came up with the 55kg guidance. Ignore it at your own peril.

Reactions: tm3lrawd