Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Suggestions for V11 Rework/Improvements

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What would you guys think about having a custom desktop option where we could put any control we like wherever we want? This could be completely separate from the standard screen. Maybe just swipe the entire screen right to reveal the customized one?
yes and no. It seems like a good idea, but ultimately a car interface should be designed to quickly and easily do what you need to do with minimal interaction. What would be the purpose of such a screen? I suppose it could be useful for the 'offline' features that Tesla has, but I don't think it would be helpful for a driver.

Reactions: Amped412
Compared to every other car maker, Tesla is the Apple of cars. I’m not comparing Tesla to Apples ability to make phone software. Tesla made the first car that was like a smartphone (like Apple). Every car before Tesla was like a flip phone.
Just like Apple, Tesla also has a large number of devoted fans and fanboys for whom "Elon can do no wrong"

I have an iPhone and a MacBook Pro. I also have a model Y. I like them all but I'm under no delusion that either Apple or Tesla is perfect.

Reactions: Amped412 and Sporty
yes and no. It seems like a good idea, but ultimately a car interface should be designed to quickly and easily do what you need to do with minimal interaction. What would be the purpose of such a screen? I suppose it could be useful for the 'offline' features that Tesla has, but I don't think it would be helpful for a driver.

Furthermore, the driving UI should be designed and tested for safety in the full range of situations that arise. Few drivers are equipped to do that or to anticipate a future road trip that encounters, say, ice in a mountain pass. Some drivers think they're fine sending text messages on a phone while driving. That's dead wrong.

On the other hand, it would be nice to be able to pick the smaller fonts & smaller map, hide some map details, etc. if some people like that. Otherwise the UI should restore the readability and well-designed maps from before the 2020 holiday update.

Reactions: Boza
What would you guys think about having a custom desktop option where we could put any control we like wherever we want? This could be completely separate from the standard screen. Maybe just swipe the entire screen right to reveal the customized one?
It’d work for me. Sat nav, actual car functions, no game shortcuts and no massive overview of the car taking over a third of the screen showing me *sugar* I can see if I open my eyes and look out of the windows😂😂

Reactions: bay74
Furthermore, the driving UI should be designed and tested for safety in the full range of situations that arise. Few drivers are equipped to do that or to anticipate a future road trip that encounters, say, ice in a mountain pass. Some drivers think they're fine sending text messages on a phone while driving. That's dead wrong.

On the other hand, it would be nice to be able to pick the smaller fonts & smaller map, hide some map details, etc. if some people like that. Otherwise the UI should restore the readability and well-designed maps from before the 2020 holiday update.
I agree, but Tesla is clearly not doing that, so it's probably up to us to fix their mistakes as best we can.

Just like Apple, Tesla also has a large number of devoted fans and fanboys for whom "Elon can do no wrong"

I have an iPhone and a MacBook Pro. I also have a model Y. I like them all but I'm under no delusion that either Apple or Tesla is perfect.
I have Iphone, ipad, MacBook Pro & apple watch ….. hate the bloody lot of them. I’m on a ship with a wifi that you have to log on to after every time your device goes to sleep Or loses the wifi signal. Problem is Apple products like to remember *sugar* ……even when you tell them NOT to. Consequently I have a phone that won’t get on the wifi, a watch that won’t connect …..because the feckin phone won’t get on the wifi ….. an ipad that needed a complete reset to get on the same poxy wifi …… it’s too late to even look at the MacBook lol. I even tried wiping the iphone network settings…… nope it still thinks it remembers something …….. bastard .
And this is how I can see my journey with Tesla already …..after less than 2 months lol. A love hate relationship probably developing into a “I want to love it, should love it ….. but!!!!!”

This isn't new for V11 but I just found out yesterday that there are two defroster settings (who knew?) I'd been using it on defog all this time because I never knew there was a separate defrost setting.

Here's another suggestion - if the temperature is below freezing, it should just default to the defrost setting. In every other car it's controlled by the heat in the climate control system so that happens automatically. For some reason Tesla does it differently...

This isn't new for V11 but I just found out yesterday that there are two defroster settings (who knew?) I'd been using it on defog all this time because I never knew there was a separate defrost setting.

Here's another suggestion - if the temperature is below freezing, it should just default to the defrost setting. In every other car it's controlled by the heat in the climate control system so that happens automatically. For some reason Tesla does it differently...
I agree. The two-press requirement for defrost is confusing. There is no indication that it is s multi-press button.

I use voice commands
Voice commands have been suggested about 8 million times, and debunked just as much. Not a reliable substitute. Not documented. Literally never work for me, between lack of LTE and confusion "set fan speed to 6" turns defrost on high. Sometimes. Also sets fan speed and temp to Lowest.

I'm never using voice commands for anything ever: the few commands that did work have been deleted. I have no time to keep up with the total chaos that is ongoing voice command development.

The trick to voice commands is to keep speaking gibberish until the Tesla understands you and it will write out what the task is...so next time just repeat back the exact wording it used and it will work first time

On the navigation map, you now have to press the "pin" button to see supercharger locations. Also, when you zoom out, the supercharger locations go away. Really stupid that they changed this. Have to zoom in pretty far out to see the supercharger locations which is annoying when trying to see the options 100-200 miles down the road.

Also the fan is now a sliding bar rather than the plus or minus buttons. Much more difficult to change while driving. Who thought this would be a good change?
Actually the fan control is now multi-functional, which I discovered by accident. You can change speed one step at a time by tapping beside the dot on the appropriate side. Also you can jump to the end of the range by tapping there. The temperature control can be adjusted by tapping the arrows, or more quickly by sliding your finger across the number. It's actually not too bad, but the status of front seat heaters and defog/defrost still needs to be be shown all the time.

The main difference between defog and defrost is that AC is activated for defog to dehumidify the incoming air. Defrost provides the maximum heat to the windshield (at the expense of freezing your legs). I experience lots of situations where I want AC on to defog the window in freezing temperatures, so I wouldn't support that automation. Tesla has already proven that they do not understand all the driving environments their vehicles operate in, so let's not encourage them to automate things that they have not properly evaluated.