Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Suggestions for V11 Rework/Improvements

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Getting back to the original topic of this thread, here's what I'd like to see in a near-term update:
  • move next-turn instruction back to top of driving display when the navigation is obscured by another page. That's where all the important information is located. I don't look at the bottom of the screen while I'm driving, because it's a long way from my normal field of view. Furthermore that area gets blocked when the climate page is open
  • move TACC limit speed beside the speedometer. It has more relevance to that number than it does to the posted speed limit. Besides, I find it oddly confusing to see e.g. "65 MAX" beside "MAX 65" in the North American display. Why doesn't the sign image say "LIMIT" like the actual signs do?
  • move Autosteer icon to centre of the top line. It's tiny now and difficult to discriminate from the D at times, particularly since it disappears and reappears depending on road marking visibility
  • fix whatever causes the Navigate field to randomly be hidden behind navigation directions, together with the orientation icon
  • add arrival SOC to the right of ETA
  • make front seat heater and defog/defrost status and controls continuously accessible
  • do not allow passenger temperature control to open the climate page - this is potentially dangerous because it immediately obscures most of the driving display. If that happens during a lane change, vehicles in blind spot may not be visible. Passenger actions should never be permitted to impact driving safety.
  • make it more obvious whether temperature control is synced or split. When control is synced, stop the passenger control from adjusting temperature - it should only be able to open the mini-card to allow splitting control before it becomes active
  • allow front seat heaters to operate in auto regardless whether climate is set to auto or manual (and conversely, allow them to remain -independently - in manual control regardless of climate control selection)
  • increase the number of pinned apps if space permits
  • make the camera and dashcam icons more different from each other
  • show icons for two recently-accessed apps - the label is plural but only one location seems to be used
  • make wiper setting accessible without the need to operate wipers - this is a necessity in certain driving conditions
  • always show Supercharger locations within map boundaries even if "declutter" is selected
Problems carried over from V10 that should also be addressed:
  • make sure that navigation directions always collapse to next-turn and arrival info after navigation is initiated. This display change frequently failed in V10, and V11 doesn't seem to have fixed it
  • stop including "navigate to" as part of the text when interpreting voice commands if the Navigate field has been selected on the screen

Last edited:
Getting back to the original topic of this thread, here's what I'd like to see in a near-term update:
  • move next-turn instruction back to top of driving display when the navigation is obscured by another page. That's where all the important information is located. I don't look at the bottom of the screen while I'm driving, because it's a long way from my normal field of view. Furthermore that area gets blocked when the climate page is open
  • move TACC limit speed beside the speedometer. It has more relevance to that number than it does to the posted speed limit. Besides, I find it oddly confusing to see e.g. "65 MAX" beside "MAX 65" in the North American display. Why doesn't the sign image say "LIMIT" like the actual signs do?
  • move Autosteer icon to centre of the top line. It's tiny now and difficult to discriminate from the D at times, particularly since it disappears and reappears depending on road marking visibility
  • fix whatever causes the Navigate field to randomly be hidden behind navigation directions, together with the orientation icon
  • add arrival SOC to the right of ETA
  • make front seat heater and defog/defrost status and controls continuously accessible
  • do not allow passenger temperature control to open the climate page - this is potentially dangerous because it immediately obscures most of the driving display. If that happens during a lane change, vehicles in blind spot may not be visible. Passenger actions should never be permitted to impact driving safety.
  • make it more obvious whether temperature control is synced or split. When control is synced, stop the passenger control from adjusting temperature - it should only be able to open the mini-card to allow splitting control before it becomes active
  • allow front seat heaters to operate in auto regardless whether climate is set to auto or manual (and conversely, allow them to remain -independently - in manual control regardless of climate control selection)
  • increase the number of pinned apps if space permits
  • make the camera and dashcam icons more different from each other
  • show icons for two recently-accessed apps - the label is plural but only one location seems to be used
  • make wiper setting accessible without the need to operate wipers - this is a necessity in certain driving conditions
  • always show Supercharger locations within map boundaries even if "declutter" is selected
Problems carried over from V10 that should also be addressed:
  • make sure that navigation directions always collapse to next-turn and arrival info after navigation is initiated. This display change frequently failed in V10, and V11 doesn't seem to have fixed it
  • stop including "navigate to" as part of the text when interpreting voice commands if the Navigate field has been selected on the screen
Forgot one:
  • re-introduce the pop-up "STOP" button when driver profile starts to change, and open driver profile list when "STOP" is selected. This is a case of "automation is error" when the car selects my wife's phone in preference to mine even when I'm in the driver seat. It was annoying with v10 UI, but completely intolerable with V11, which requires multiple selections to avoid being squished.

I can kinda understand why they eff'ed up the Superchargers on the map. The bay area was becoming solid with them thus obscuring the map. If that is all the developers ever see, I understand why they thought this new scheme made sense. But yeah, totally sucks for the rest of us though...
What I don't understand is that they show up in the area I normally drive, but when I was passing Burlington VT I had to manually select from the Charging icon in order to see a list because there were no red pins on the map. If there are too many in some areas, then I would concede to having the Supercharger display suppressed when the map is decluttered.

I can kinda understand why they eff'ed up the Superchargers on the map. The bay area was becoming solid with them thus obscuring the map. If that is all the developers ever see, I understand why they thought this new scheme made sense. But yeah, totally sucks for the rest of us though...
Never had an issue with SC saturation in the Bay Area. On the S/X there is a three options menu when I tap the map. The bottom option (pin) shows all SC on the map. Kind of like how V10 used to be.

Never had an issue with SC saturation in the Bay Area. On the S/X there is a three options menu when I tap the map. The bottom option (pin) shows all SC on the map. Kind of like how V10 used to be.
For what it's worth, I was trying to access the Supercharger list during a road trip yesterday and I couldn't remember exactly how to pull it up in V11. I did not notice it beside the Home/Work buttons because the display was somehow not compelling enough to draw my attention there. Now I know where it is, and I won't have any problems in future but this seems like some kind of lesson. Similarly, I had to open the glovebox and completely missed it on the Controls page. I ended up using a voice command. I guess it's all part of the adaptation but it seems strangely difficult.

Reactions: K5TRX and sleepydoc
Actually the fan control is now multi-functional, which I discovered by accident. You can change speed one step at a time by tapping beside the dot on the appropriate side. Also you can jump to the end of the range by tapping there. The temperature control can be adjusted by tapping the arrows, or more quickly by sliding your finger across the number.

Thanks for sharing this discovery!

I wish they'd document this in the Owner's Manual and in a concise transition guide. (Are we expected to play a Where's Waldo game?)

Reactions: K5TRX
Cold weather best practices… can I please stop seeing that message? I am not finding a way to stop having to see that banner at every start when it’s cold… I know it it’s cold out Tesla and that I should pre-condition blah,blah…the message is annoying and is in an already busy location for messages - bottom left corner.
The home link conflicts with the seat belt warnings conflicts with your insistence on informing me about cold weather best practices…
I look forward to our next update to address some feedback.

Re: Improvements. I thought of something very, very simple that will alleviate 90% of my car-control issues in MS - just allow the HVAC window to stay on. Currently, it disappears along with all indicators for seat warmers, defoggers, etc. Just let me keep it on and I would hate the UI a lot less.

Still thinking what a mess the entertainment section is…

Re: Improvements. I thought of something very, very simple that will alleviate 90% of my car-control issues in MS - just allow the HVAC window to stay on. Currently, it disappears along with all indicators for seat warmers, defoggers, etc. Just let me keep it on and I would hate the UI a lot less.

Still thinking what a mess the entertainment section is…
That’s exactly what I’d recommend for the small wiper control ui. A way to pin it so it stays up. It’s a situational issue.

After been forced to use V11 for a while now I am starting to get a very strange feeling. Everything was redesigned in such a way as if they wanted to increase our interaction with the UI: more taps, things buried in menus, cannot just glance at a status of something - have to tap, audio sources are decomposed into individual tabs, etc. it reminds me of those web sites that brake articles into pieces, you have to press “Next” to go to the next piece so that they could show you more ads. Or, FB that makes you angry so they could keep you engaged for longer so that you see more ads. Strange!

Reactions: RNHurt
I'm willing to bet that the vast majority of Tesla owners barely noticed the change.
If that is truly the case, I bet they it's because they live where there's no real winter. Obviously polls on these forums are going to be negatively biased because users are looking for somewhere to vent their frustration, but I'd be surprised if even a slim majority were fully satisfied with this change. It has some good aspects but others just reek of a lack of understanding and concern for owner's real needs.

If that is truly the case, I bet they it's because they live where there's no real winter. Obviously polls on these forums are going to be negatively biased because users are looking for somewhere to vent their frustration, but I'd be surprised if even a slim majority were fully satisfied with this change. It has some good aspects but others just reek of a lack of understanding and concern for owner's real needs.
I wish one of the media outlets in the EV/automotive space would do a reasonably scientific survey, because yeah, I am super curious as well. Hell, Tesla already has a horrible relationship with almost all media these days, so it's not like they have any bridge to burn.

I'm willing to bet that the vast majority of Tesla owners barely noticed the change.
Actually I'm pretty sure they did. I have a coworker who got a Model 3 several months ago. She's not technical, just wanted to go electric. She came in one morning complaining about how her car had totally changed after the software update. My wife is similar - not at all into technology, just wants a car to drive and likes our Model Y because it's fun to drive. She didn't know about the update and tried to drive it but gave up because she couldn't figure out how to get to her profile setting. Another coworker who has a model 3 also complained to me about V11.

Based on my sampling, 100% of the people I know with Tesla's have spontaneously complained about V11. That's not a scientific study, but notable nonetheless.

A colleague sold his one year old MY because of the update. The sad thing is that he went back to ICE (Lexus) noting that EV are toys.
Sad, but was the update really the only factor or was it just the last straw? His comment makes me think the latter. That doesn't excuse the update or diminish the significance, but if they absolutely loved the car before then I doubt V11 alone would have been enough to make him sell it.